Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

Heee, dude I know you well enough to know exactly what you're doing!!! I got your SAAB right here, pal!
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

I have bought a van in Italy (Alps) which has gone down the hill into a river velly due to self loosening hand break.
This self loosening hand break is a comon failrure.
Happened to my van too when it rolled down 5m into my trailer at home.
Never leave the van parked on a hill without 1st or R gear inside.
Make sure your hand break mechanism (spring) is in good shape.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

That is very good advice. Gravity is powerful worldwide...
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
That is very good advice. Gravity is powerful worldwide...

Gravity deniers of the world unite now before its too late!!!!
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

Waldi wrote:

I’ve never heard of this problem. Even with no spring you would have to first pull the handle a little to unload the pawl or it won’t release.

There is only one spring in the handle. If you feel spring tension on the release button the spring is good.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Waldi wrote:

I’ve never heard of this problem. Even with no spring you would have to first pull the handle a little to unload the pawl or it won’t release.

There is only one spring in the handle. If you feel spring tension on the release button the spring is good.

I've had it happen to me twice: parking brake pulled, and you hear a big "TONG" and it all comes loose. I never found out why, like a tooth came out or something. I inspected everything, it's like it never happened, and it never did it again. Looks like a snapped cable type of situation.

The first time at the top of my 16% driveway in France to go open the gate, good thing it happened right away, I was still in the van. Big scary drop from the hill side on the right side, wall on the left side, barely wide enough for the van to fit... I learnt that day how to steer well backing up real fast while just looking in the outside mirrors. Couldn't stop the van, it happend so fast and got too much motion :the bottom of the driveway was a big gravel yard. Scary as hell. I remember having shoved gravel in the tail pipe from the speed. Uffff!

Second time ,same, steep driveway in Hawai'i, but I had a gear engaged this time (hé-hé) and it rolled slowly so I was able to go back in, I still had one leg inside...

Damn e-brakes!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Certain SAAB models put their emergency/parking brakes on the front wheels, which makes a lot of sense if you're trying to stop the car as quickly as possible in a true emergency.

Our 1991 subaru loyale had the hand brake on the front wheels, but I much prefer it on the rear wheels to get the car to "rotate" when desired Wink

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
Sodo wrote:
Waldi wrote:

I've had it happen to me twice: parking brake pulled, and you hear a big "TONG" and it all comes loose. I never found out why, like a tooth came out or something. I inspected everything, it's like it never happened, and it never did it again. Looks like a snapped cable....

OK not a spring problem but a failure of the ratchet pawl. I have experienced this too but the car didn’t roll away; perhaps my foot was still near the footbrake? I can happen after a few minutes delay, another reason use a 2nd (or 3rd) means to be certain it cannot roll.

Probably the ratchet pawls did not engage properly - then the pawl is “thrown out” with such force it doesn’t stop at the adjacent tooth but skips over the next few teeth.

Or perhaps something else wrong, such as an iPhone cable tangled in the mechanism. And you assumed cable damage was from the cat chewing on the cable.Wink

Actually this is a good argument for having good brake function at the wheel. My brake is so weak that every time, I must pull it as HARD as possible. Which is perhaps more risk to the problem described above. However, since I cannot rely on the brake holding (for past 8 years) I ALWAYS put it in granny or reverse and steer the front wheels to the most favorable angle. People in Kansas or Florida (or Holland) probably don’t develop such habits.

If driving in Austria.....such habits could be beneficial.Wink maybe the Syncro driver was from Holland, and first time driving in the mountains? I wonder if e-brake function is “tested” in Austria. Can you drive a car that has a brake (that clicks nicely, even “3” clicks Wink) but doesn’t actually hold the car from rolling? In WA state (USA) there are no vehicle inspections, you can change anything. Also I have never heard of a handbrake test, and we have many cities with parking on steep hills.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

Yeah, a well maintained handbrake is a must - particularly if you are offroading. Many stucks occur while heading uphill and I cringe when people set the parking brake, leave the engine running in N and hop out to take a look at what's got them stuck.

We used to use the rule the driver stays in the driver's seat under this circumstance. Parking brake on, vehicle in gear or Park. If its a broken part, be alert this may affect secondary effectiveness. Such as an axle, or CV joint which means having the vehicle in gear it can still roll.

If the driver's getting out because its a mechanical failure and nobody's going anywhere for a while, roll rocks behind the wheels, firewood, strap to a tree or another vehicle. Being on a steep hill with a need for the vehicle to hold itself stationary is a time to over do the safety thinking.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

If driving in Austria.....such habits could be beneficial.Wink maybe the Syncro driver was from Holland, and first time driving in the mountains? I wonder if e-brake function is “tested” in Austria. Can you drive a car that has a brake (that clicks nicely, even “3” clicks Wink) but doesn’t actually hold the car from rolling? In WA state (USA) there are no vehicle inspections, you can change anything. Also I have never heard of a handbrake test, and we have many cities with parking on steep hills.

In the EU, the hand-brake is tested every year on a rolling road at the annual road-worthiness test, along with a myriad of other things that those in the US often don't consider in the lifetime of a vehicle. Wink

These road-worthiness tests (e.g. called the MOT in the UK) can be a RRPITA sometimes. Just a faded or cracked red or amber cover over a tail light or blinker can mean a failure.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

I wish they got that serious here actually. The number of cars on bald tires with 3 working brakes and frayed wiper blades is appalling. Somehow the driver manages to buy a subwoofer, a pack of $8 cigarettes and the brightest damn set of dimestore LEDs which are always pointed up in my eyes. Damn kids! (Imagine an old guy shaking his fist out the window)... Laughing
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
I wish they got that serious here actually. The number of cars on bald tires with 3 working brakes and frayed wiper blades is appalling. Somehow the driver manages to buy a subwoofer, a pack of $8 cigarettes and the brightest damn set of dimestore LEDs which are always pointed up in my eyes. Damn kids! (Imagine an old guy shaking his fist out the window)... Laughing

I see that you're ready to join the old farts. Repeat after me: "Get offa my lawn!" Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
Sodo wrote:

In the EU, the hand-brake is tested every year on a rolling road at the annual road-worthiness test, along with a myriad of other things that those in the US often don't consider in the lifetime of a vehicle. Wink

These road-worthiness tests (e.g. called the MOT in the UK) can be a RRPITA sometimes. Just a faded or cracked red or amber cover over a tail light or blinker can mean a failure.

Yes they test the "hand break" every 2 years, but they do only test the funktion of the rear breaks and not the funktion of the mechanism.
They just pull it and look if the break works. They dont engage it.
Also the problem is, this failure comes unexpected. Means the mechanism is working always, but on time not. BUUUUUM
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
My question is why didn't he just drive it down?
Because that thread would have been boring. Wink

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
IdahoDoug wrote:
My question is why didn't he just drive it down?
Because that thread would have been boring. Wink

Same boring as lifting it up by a helicopter instead driving it up Smile
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

True!

Couple things:
-- pulling up e-brake and hearing clicking: Bad
-- pushing in button, pulling up brake until tight and then releasing button: Good

-- applying e-brake and then putting into gear to park: Bad
-- putting in gear and rolling weight onto transmission until stopped, then applying e-brake: Good

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

Thats the pic of mine bought van after some stripping.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

It looks like the transmission oil overheated, Waldi
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

Nice attack angle on the front! Ready for climbing back up the hill Laughing
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

^^^ This is what happens when telling one's van to get bent ^^^

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: