Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trans Tunnel Insulation 2017
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Trans Tunnel Insulation 2017 Reply with quote

I have my engine and trans out for a Bostig conversion (yay!), and decided to address the flaking and peeling insulation at the same time.

I am wondering, what are some year 2017 solutions for replacing it? Many new products are now readily available, including some advanced ones that we didn't have a few years back.

Over on VOG someone recommended 3M #08883 - and this sounds like a GREAT solution to me! Easy to "install," and add in the future if needed. Any thoughts on this? Anything else I should be considering?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans Tunnel Insulation 2017 Reply with quote

Can't recommend a particular one, but look in the Marine Industry. There are some good sound/heat products that hold up to damp environments.
WillSharp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans Tunnel Insulation 2017 Reply with quote

Here is what I did recently:
The insulation I got from Amazon for about $25. Is a fire proof foam insulation with an aluminum foil on it. It has a adhesive back which is nice. Getting it in was a b*tch with it sticking to everything. Sits in tight and looks good.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans Tunnel Insulation 2017 Reply with quote

I used a DEI product on another car. Also from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CEM3O0/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Very stiff which made it easy to form & hold a shape, self-adhesive. It was not thick (which was desirable for the area I was insulating).
gregaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Trans Tunnel Insulation 2017 Reply with quote

WillSharp wrote:
Here is what I did recently:
The insulation I got from Amazon for about $25. Is a fire proof foam insulation with an aluminum foil on it. It has a adhesive back which is nice. Getting it in was a b*tch with it sticking to everything. Sits in tight and looks good.

That looks really good!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: