Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69/70 bug rebuild
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
timwhite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: 69/70 bug rebuild Reply with quote

When my daughter got old enough that she was going to need a vehicle I asked her what she wanted. She said "a new Beetle". I explained that that was not going to happen, and after some thought she decided on an old Bug.
After looking around for a few months we were finding restored bugs that we couldn't afford, or total wrecks.
After awhile she decided that what we needed to do was find a restore-able Bug we could afford, and we could work together to fix it up. What father could resist having a project his 16 year old daughter wanted to do with him? And so the journey began.

Photos can be found at

https://imgur.com/a/yZNe5

Tim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timwhite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 69/70 bug rebuild Reply with quote

I had an old beat up 69 Bug sitting behind my shop that we thought we could use for parts, and we eventually found a 1970 Bug that the parents of one of my students had started to fix up and had given up on. It was in pretty sad shape, but it only cost us $100, so we hauled it home. It had been painted up as a Batmobile!

Tim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 69/70 bug rebuild Reply with quote

Nice job. And creative garage you built.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: 69/70 bug rebuild Reply with quote

Wow great work. That paint came out great.

That garage is rad Laughing
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 69/70 bug rebuild Reply with quote

The absolutely best part was you spending quality time with your child. That is getting rarer and rarer these days, and I bet it sure felt great Very Happy
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
timwhite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 69/70 bug rebuild Reply with quote

The "bug barn" was designed to be a temporary shelter for us to work in. We used 1/2" rebar in 20' lengths, wired them together to make 30' arches, and nailed one to my existing shop wall. The ends were set into short lengths of metal conduit sunk into the ground, and we ran cross pieces from end to end. We also ran pieces diagonally from the bottom corners to the opposite top center for some stability. Then we covered it with chicken wire and 60 mil black plastic, put a sheet of rubber (like they use for roofing) on the ground, and ran a temporary line for lights and on outlet. It worked pretty well until we got a 20" snow, when it collapsed on the bug! Amazingly it did no damage to the bug, although it was an all day job (in 15 degree weather) to get it jacked up enough to pull the Bug out!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 69/70 bug rebuild Reply with quote

Very impressive resurrection!!!! She is going to love driving that car... And thinking about her Dad Smile
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 69/70 bug rebuild Reply with quote

timwhite wrote:

After awhile she decided that what we needed to do was find a restore-able Bug we could afford, and we could work together to fix it up.

She decided that huh? Wink

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 69/70 bug rebuild Reply with quote

Maybe you can repair your garage using electrical conduit instead of rebar. Might be stronger? Cool

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
jlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 69/70 bug rebuild Reply with quote

You're a talented man to transform a junk heap into a great looking car. Great job!
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 69/70 bug rebuild Reply with quote

One thing I would like to point out is the safety factor of newer cars as opposed to pre-airbag ones. I, just like you, would be happy to work on a VW project with my son, but for him to use the car as a daily driver would be something for me consider. In the end, I would probably say no and have him drive something safer.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 69/70 bug rebuild Reply with quote

depends on where you live
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 69/70 bug rebuild Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
depends on where you live

Care to elaborate?
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 69/70 bug rebuild Reply with quote

Joey, in a decade or so, parents will be reluctant to have their kids drive non-self driving cars, due to the fact that self driving will no doubt be safer as time goes on. Are bugs death traps? Millions were on the roads in the sixties and seventies, and I don't remember hearing or reading about any widespread VW carnage, in spite of all the big tank American cars that were sharing the road with them at the time.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: 69/70 bug rebuild Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Joey, in a decade or so, parents will be reluctant to have their kids drive non-self driving cars, due to the fact that self driving will no doubt be safer as time goes on. Are bugs death traps? Millions were on the roads in the sixties and seventies, and I don't remember hearing or reading about any widespread VW carnage, in spite of all the big tank American cars that were sharing the road with them at the time.

Tim

Tim, I think this is one of those "Agree to Disagree" type of sentiments. I understand that these cars shared the road with big American tanks back in the day and continue to be used nowadays but for me, in the current driving conditions around me, I wouldn't have a new driver use a pre-airbag car as his/her daily driver. By current conditions I mean the total disregard by other drivers to pay attention, follow the law and put their f'ing phones down while driving.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: 69/70 bug rebuild Reply with quote

To elaborate, living in BFE northern Vt very little traffic, 30 min to nearest traffic light. Boy has been driving the super down town and around to friends at 15. yrs old. taught him good driving habits and safe following distances . trust him totally. plus he can tune and time it himself.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: 69/70 bug rebuild Reply with quote

To Tim White, amazing work by you and Kaite! How long did the project take from start to finish?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
timwhite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 69/70 bug rebuild Reply with quote

We started the project by building the "bug barn" in October, and had the car on the road and driving everyday by September, so just shy of a year for the whole thing. A lot of work was done in winter in the unheated bug barn. I told Katie that doing so built character. She said she didn't need that much character!

Tim
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: 69/70 bug rebuild Reply with quote

My dad put us kids through a lot of those "character building" experiences when I was growing up. I seem to recall a lot of them involved doing things while being cold and miserable. Confused

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
timwhite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 69/70 bug rebuild Reply with quote

After we got the shop addition built we took the two Bugs and pulled the bodies off the pans so we could decide which to use. We finally decided that the Red 69 body was (slightly) better than the Yellow 70 body, but the 70 pan was (marginally) better than the 69. So we removed the engine and Auto stick transmission from the 70 pan, removed the manual tranny from the 69, and set to work making a good pan. Two things helped greatly. First was my decision to buy a small MIG welder and also a spot welder. Neither top quality, but very useful. The second was to visit MidAmerica Motors bug fest, where we picked up a lot of parts!

Tim
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: