Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Throttle body replacement recommendation.
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jocoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

Hi folks.
I found the culprit to my idle problems. Surprise surprise its the throttle switch.
It is not closing at idle. I also noticed that there is no adjustment left most likely due to wear. So I have 2 questions
1. Is there a step by step procedure for throttle body removal. Bentley is not too helpful.
2. I suspect I will find significant wear on this original TB once I have it removed. I notice both Gowesty and VanCafe sell replacement TB's.
Any comments on the quality and effectiveness of either replacement part?
Or does one look better based on the companies description?
Love this forum. Thanks

Gowesty TB
http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?id=23904

Van Cafe TB
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1131_1443/rebuilt-throttle-body.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

Have yours rebuilt. Whip618 does a fantastic job on throttle bodies. BTDT. You won't regret it.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
DometicLover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

There's only 2 Phillips screws holding the TB.

Remove the Air Box and Intake Boot. Disconnect Throttle Cable and Vacuum Hose and unscrew the two bolts. It takes between 5 minutes or couples hours depending of the state of the screws...

As far as I know Vancafe TB doesn't come with new switch.

GoWesty make no mentions of new seal, only ''sealed ball bearing''. Maybe someone could confirm...

I don't want to start a debate but from my personal experience Vancafe sells superior products

Don't forget to buy the TB to plenum seal!
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

I had a worn throttle body that had enough movement in the pivot that the throttle switch would only work correctly intermittently- drove me crazy. Installed a unit from VC and the idle improved dramatically, the throttle switch worked perfectly from then on as well.
dyldebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

When I had the 2.1 my TB started sticking open during a multi day trip. At every stop I had to spike the throttle to get it to close.

I went with the GoWesty TB and the swap took a total of ten minutes and worked perfectly. Can't speak for the van cafe unit but it sounds like you're safe with either.
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

GoWesty is the best deal with the switch included.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=614859
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

If the throttle position switch is not working because it is worn, why do you want to replace the throttle body? Unless there is an obvious problem with the throttle body, I would just replace the switch. The original type are NLA but Van cafe have an aftermarket switch and GoWesty have a vacuum TPS.
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

If you are still rocking your original throttle body, I think you would be surprised how much a new one improves your throttle response. Everyone sticking to the WBX should install a rebuilt unit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteveMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

Ottawa. Ontario? Illinois? Other?
If Ontario give Frank Condelli a look.
https://www.frankcondelli.com/staging1/store/index...ct_id=1003
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

Pics please, because I can't fathom why you would replace the TB when it's the TPS that needs renewal.
jocoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input!
I have been able to locate a supposedly good used TB locally for a reasonable price. My plan is to remove mine and then do a thorough inspection for wear of both of them and then reassess. (Good to have a spare) Since the van is not going anywhere for a while (under snow) I can tinker with this. Might be able to do my own rebuild Wink
So I'm sure I'll have more questions as I pursue this. I'm just so happy I have found the problem with the idle. Diagnosis is half the battle.
Thanks again for all the great input!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

Ah, it looks like 10c / Vanistan is no longer offering his TB. RJE has bebuilt units too but not as hi-zoot as the old Vanistan units.

I have a small leak in my TB shaft that causes high idle, especially when cold. I agree, it seems like a good idea to swap in a rebuilt unit if you're messing around there anyway and have the $ to spare.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

The benefit from a rebuilt throttle body is the action of the throttle. When you install bearings at the shaft, the butterfly is able to move easily and consistently every time. Years ago I was not happy with the rebuilt units available (they had vacuum leaks worse than the original) and was able to come up with my own improved solution. Not sure if this is still the case with the current new or rebuilt TB's.
seventyfo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

I've seen one of Frank's, I'd go with any of the other offerings.

"I don't know you well enough to care about your comments". Watkins Cravey
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

The throttle bodies being built by Rocky Jennings are top notch. Ill always recommend him.
Jim Hunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

t3 kopf wrote:
The throttle bodies being built by Rocky Jennings are top notch. Ill always recommend him.

+1 Rocky is the best for WBX parts and work !

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1342947
jocoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

Hi. I'm the original poster. I got my TB out of the van today. (this van is new to me and I don't have any history).
So, the bottom cover was missing, Sad the cam is quite worn and at the end of adjustment and the micro switch itself is sluggish especially when it gets cold.
The throttle body itself seems not too bad. I can see light aorund the throttle plate when I hold it up to the light though.
Questions:
1) Does anyone know of a source for the cam? I came a cross it once but can no longer find it.
2) can just the microswitch be replaced? If so, where can I source that part. (I'm pretty sure the answer is that it is not available no where, no how). If the switch is not available are my only choices to buy the after market kits that van cafe and go westy sell? Any preferences?
3) When I hold the TB up to the light I can see light around the butterfly. From my reading, this should not be the case. Can that be adjusted out or is a replacement necessary.
Thanks everyone. I tried to do my homework on this but some of the older posts no longer have the associated images)
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

jocoman wrote:
...3) When I hold the TB up to the light I can see light around the butterfly. From my reading, this should not be the case. Can that be adjusted out or is a replacement necessary.

I think some light at each side is normal and up around 2:00 is a gap where the big adjustment screw sits to allow the 'leakage' to be greater as an idle adjustment.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I don't think it needs to (or should) be totally light tight - else why would they have drilled that big hole in it?

But I'm no TB expert. Post a photo and someone else may be one.
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: T3 pilot Reply with quote

Here is an excellent thread discussing the Vanagon Throttle body with great images of worn vs. Rebuilt/upgraded.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=388541&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

New version from GoWesty. All new, not rebuilt, it looks like. Their own anodized billet housing. I've been playing with used TBs trying to improve performance, but this one looks nice. No core charge either.

http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=24718
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: