Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 beetle fuel venting question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
giddy up
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: 1969 beetle fuel venting question Reply with quote

hi. bought this car and this was the way the venting was set up. i am replacing all the lines so thats why nothing is attached now, however, curious to know if i should be eliminating the stub thats capped on the driver side and running a line with a tee to the existing line thats running from the passenger so they both go to a high point and then down the drain notch? advise and opinions? i've searched this site and just want to know the best way for my show.

thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

johneliot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 beetle fuel venting question Reply with quote

Here's what a 69 set up should look like:

That vent hose should not exit through the drain hole. You need a long enough line so that it will run along the dash and exit through a cutout that exits by the drivers side wheel. The tank you have is not from a 69, so yes you should cap that off or you'll be smelling gas fumes in the car plus leaking gas when you corner, depending on how full your tank is. Another option is to find a used tank and replace it.

There is no distinctly American criminal class - except Congress.
Mark Twain

69 bug - "The Grey Ghost"
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 beetle fuel venting question Reply with quote

johneliot wrote:
Here's what a 69 set up should look like:

I'm not as familiar with the '69 as I am with other models, but I think you're missing something there. I believe the empty bracket that's right in front of the filler tube should have a charcoal canister in there, shouldn't it? The two vent holes (the one from the little T in the filler vent line, and the one on the driver's side of the fuel tank) should be routed into the charcoal canister. On later models, the canister in front of the filler tube was then connected by a long line to another charcoal canister at the rear of the car, which was then routed into the engine via the air cleaner. I don't know if the '69 canister was vented directly to the atmosphere or routed to the engine, but I shouldn't think you would want your fuel tank being directly vented to the air, without some sort of filter in between.
B52Gunner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 beetle fuel venting question Reply with quote

I don't believe the 69 had the charcoal cannister...at least mine doesn't...nor does it have that bracket. However, my 69 was manufactured in Aug 1968, so the cannister/bracket may have come along later in the production run.
giddy up
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 beetle fuel venting question Reply with quote

B52Gunner wrote:
I don't believe the 69 had the charcoal cannister...at least mine doesn't...nor does it have that bracket. However, my 69 was manufactured in Aug 1968, so the cannister/bracket may have come along later in the production run.

hi B52Gunner. how is your routed without a cannister? i do see a notch out the side of the drivers side wheel well that i could use to vent outside but just curious how your is set up.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 beetle fuel venting question Reply with quote

Vent line exit for 1969.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 beetle fuel venting question Reply with quote

Giddy up--your's is the first gas tank I've seen that looks like mine! My '69 Beetle is also from B.C. originally and believe the tank is original.

I've searched for this as well --I was also told to plug the driverside spout and run the vent out through the hole up front near the spare.
When I got the car the vent went back into that spout so basically no venting--it was wrong. I plugged that spout, rerouted the vent keeping it high behind the dash--the problem now is sometimes, on a full tank (not overfilled), gas will come out the vent and pool under the car.

There is some discussion here--- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7719090&highlight=#7719090

I posted this somewhere here in the past.
New2me69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 beetle fuel venting question Reply with quote

I soooooo wish my car was currently in my garage as I too have a '69 and also researched this at length a while back.

The drawing Patty B. put up is what my research led me to as well. The main thing to think about or keep in mind the that the vent must be CLEAR to vent therefore the vent line must run high in the trunk and have no low spots for fuel to collect whether from overfilling or a splash during hard cornering or whatever.

For example, in your original picture, the vent line at the filler neck runs below the neck itself which mean fuel can actually collect there and block the line. You want the line to run up and over the neck (like johneliot's photo above) so that any fuel that finds its way there will simply drain back. The line should loop up from there and all the way up along just behind the wiring cover. This is essentially the highest point in the trunk. As in the picture, it'll tie in to another 'T' piece.

From that 'T' piece there is another tank vent that simply runs straight up to it (again allowing fuel to drain straight back into the tank should any find it's way up there) and the other end runs down along the the driver's side and out the small hole to atmosphere.

I spent countless hours researching this and FINALLY found a series of pictures of an original trunk on another topic that clearly showed the routing. In hindsight I should have marked it and kept it for reference for posts like this.

Long story short: Loop high to allow draining of fuel back to its source (no low spots in the line). Far end of SECOND 'T' piece vents the low spot.

Cheers.

Just to add; the second 'T' piece is also up high in the trunk to allow draining and keeping fuel from getting up high enough to actually splash out the vent.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 beetle fuel venting question Reply with quote

I have two 69s and neither have the extra vent on the tank. Maybe it was for the Canadian market. That drawing looks like your best option, and as noted no dip in the vent line by the fill T.

For those of you with just the vent T at the fill neck, check the T occasionally where the vent line attaches. It has a very small hole, and on one of my 69s (DD) it closed up from years of residual gas splashing (that was fun to find). After that I checked my other 69 (Baja) and it was starting to close up as well.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 beetle fuel venting question Reply with quote

My 1969 convertible also does not have the small side vent on the tank. And no vapor canister.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
johneliot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 beetle fuel venting question Reply with quote

No, a 69 does not have that bracket, the charcol cannister began in the 1970 model year. When I originally bought my 69 the body was more work than I wanted to do so I dropped a 70 body on it seeing as it was basically the same. I wired and built it just as if it was a 69. I have sinced cut the bracket out. The tank vented system is 69. The vent line exits just like I described and Brian shows in his picture.

Mark Twain

New2me69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 beetle fuel venting question Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
I have two 69s and neither have the extra vent on the tank. Maybe it was for the Canadian market. That drawing looks like your best option, and as noted no dip in the vent line by the fill T.

For those of you with just the vent T at the fill neck, check the T occasionally where the vent line attaches. It has a very small hole, and on one of my 69s (DD) it closed up from years of residual gas splashing (that was fun to find). After that I checked my other 69 (Baja) and it was starting to close up as well.

Yet another one of those things VW tinkered with during production that causes confusion later on for us to figure out I guess. Haha

I'm thinking it's because there was a real push to reduce emissions starting in 68 and really starting to take hold in 69, 70. These must be transition tanks before the canisters were added in 1970 perhaps (?). My 69 has the second vent and is a California original so it is not just a Canadian thing. I know emission laws in California were getting strict at the time so many mods were being made by VW for cars being sold in that area at the time. Perhaps the second vent was in preparation for the canisters they knew were coming.

All I know is that there is a real mix. Some '69's have the second vent and some don't. My tank is original to the car as well.
giddy up
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 beetle fuel venting question Reply with quote

amazing advise. i was wondering what that hole was for as described on the drivers side. will keep the one plugged and run a line up as high under the dash as possible with no room for gas trapping. just purchased all new hoses today.
thanks everyone.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 beetle fuel venting question Reply with quote

B52Gunner wrote:

My 69 was manufactured in April 69 and it never had the charcoal canister, I can pretty much guarantee that didn't start until 70.
My 69 gas tank is the factory original and never had the extra spout, instead it has the locking cap or whatever that is at the front left. As previously mentioned the tank spout vent must have been on other international models.

Some pics I posted a long time ago of my vent line routing:

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
johneliot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 beetle fuel venting question Reply with quote

The 2 70's I've had did not have that extra spout on the side.

Mark Twain

evillrdnikon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 beetle fuel venting question Reply with quote

So i have an issue. That Tiny, short, metal line on the drives side of my 1973 standard tank i placed a 1' - 2' 5mm hose on it and ran it out under the driver front fender.

My issue is that when i fill up my tank i have caught that fuel will spill, and keep spilling, out of that hose and onto the ground. Physics is obvious here.

Any suggestions for fixing this? Run a longer hose from that port up under the hood so i raises the elevation above the tank and out the passenger side?
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 beetle fuel venting question Reply with quote

If you can route the vent line like SB did, it should eliminate your problem. The vent hose must go up higher then the tank.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
CarlIseminger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 beetle fuel venting question Reply with quote

I too have experienced fuel spilling out of the vent line after filling the tank. But I discovered that it was doing so when I filled the tank to the point that the nozzle automatically shut off. On my car, this put fuel sitting in the filling hose. Then when the gas expanded in the heat of the 90 degree day, it would then start to drip out of the vent line.

I just don't fill my tank that full anymore and it stopped. Maybe my lines aren't exactly perfect so this allowed the fuel to setting in the line, but I have double checked to be sure that it goes high up in the dash before exiting.
evillrdnikon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 beetle fuel venting question Reply with quote

is it normal for fuel pumps to auto shut off when filling out bugs? Thought i had that one day in the past where it didnt stop for me so ever since ive been scared to fill up a full tanks when im empty.
CarlIseminger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 beetle fuel venting question Reply with quote

Mine used to shut off, but my area, many of the stations went with new pumps and after several times of it not shutting off and fuel spilling all over, I now listen for the fuel starting to gather in the filler and shut off.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: