Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alschnier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

We're about to embark on a Griswold / Little Miss Daisy 830mi adventure from upstate NY to Columbia, SC for Thanksgiving (including tailgating @ The Carolina v. Clemson game) Very Happy Four humans, + (2) Mini-Schnauzers.

Our bus is an early '71 Westy with a recently rebuilt motor. I just had it looked over by a good, local VW guy. It's had a recent oil change. Idle is good. Recently replaced the clutch cable, as well as heater cable & we even have heat Wink

I have:
- tools (all of the basics + zip ties, duct tape, etc)
- fire extinguishers (2 on board, + Blazecut installed)
- books: Bently + Muir (+ actual roadmaps)
- battery charger / jump starter
- AAA Razz
- parts: some bulbs, fuses, clamps (nothing major, but maybe enough to MacGuyver something roadside)
- courage (& an awesome wife) LOL

So... What else should I bring? Thanks for the input & Happy Thanksgiving!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

alschnier wrote:
We're about to embark on a Griswold / Little Miss Daisy 830mi adventure

You mean Little Miss Sunshine or Driving Miss Daisy? lol
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
alschnier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

LOL - maybe both. Yep - Little Miss Sunshine Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

Take spare spark plugs, points, condenser, cap and rotor (even if you have electronic module as they can suddenly stop working) and tools to replace these items if needed. Look at your cv joints and make sure the boots aren't rotten as that means the grease is gone and the cv needs to be repaired or replaced. Most auto parts will sell you a complete axel assembly for around $100 if needed, or carry it with you and the tools to put it in if your boots are suspect. That should do it for spares.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

Make sure your stuff is in good shape before hitting the highway, and be sure to bring along:

AAA card (the "plus" membership is good for 100 mile tows)

Beer

Bacon

Books

Phone & charger
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
Beer

Bacon

Books

Bears

Beets and

Battlestar galactica
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

For our trip, I'm putting together a complete spare distributor with clamp that will be installed and run to set timing, Then if it passes that test --will be removed- including clamp- so in the event of failure, I can just drop that in place- pre timed- and be on my way.

You can see where that gets more complicated with the 2.0 FI motor.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

Bring a spare fan belt and the tools to change it.

With a Type 1 engine you are dead in the water if the belt breaks.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

Multimeter
Test light
Check your tires inflation/age
Deck of cards.
Time

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
NoBudgetVWGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

Throttle Cable/Clutch Cable
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

Upstate NY, what part of the hudson valley you from Laughing
quality all season or snow rated tires.. Wink
though I think the regional forecast is improving there are some hills tween here and there.. and then back again..

something that makes heat too.

dry gas...

warm blankets and plenty of food/water.

a spool of ~14gauge wire and wiring ends.. female and male spade ends. some ring terminals.

a volt meter..

rain-x on the windshield.

flashlight and safety warning light

run with the lights on.. traffic will be coming up on you fast... very fast..
the speed limits are 70 down south and that means they're mostly flowing over 80mph, especially on a holiday travel time.. rain/snow be damned.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

Shocked an "ejection seat" case things become unbearable.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

https://www.flattestroute.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

tire chains and fit them before you leave so you know they fit and clear the fenders.

Blankets

Spare oil and check it each and every time you get gas.

Tire pressure gauge

Torque wrench and socket to check the lug nuts before you leave going, and before you return.

800 miles each way probably isn't worth worrying with the valves, but if this engine has less than 1000 miles on it you will want to check them before you head home.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

Fanbelt, clutch, accelerator cable.
The end bit for the clutch cable to pedal connection.
Spacer for clutch wing nut if cable is too long.
Points, cap, capacitor, plugs. An extra spark plug wire or 2.
Electrical odds and sods for jury rigging wires.
Screwdriver to short starter, other basic tools.
I carry a scissor jack, a piece of 2 by 12 for flat changing and make sure the spare is up to 45psi
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

A route which avoids I95 like the plague - take 81 Down to skip the city nonsense.

Weather looks good - all season radials will be fine,proper load rating

Have you been daily driving it? If so, bring what you would need for a typical two weeks consumption plus the spares noted above

If not, a TGVNG long trip is a painful way to suss it out.
Poptopcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

The weather girl says you guys are going to get some bad weather for TG. At 25, I would have taken my 1973 VW bus for the adventure. At age 65, if the roads are snowy and icy in Wyoming, I'd leave my 1978 bus at home and take my 4wd truck with heated seats and steering wheel, and save the adventure for a day with dry roads. Especially if I'm carrying my grandkids. Be safe. And Happy TG.
2020 VW Tiguan
2001 Harley Electraglide Classic
1986 BMW R 800cc motorcycle
2002 Chevy Camaro Z28
1999 Harley Sportster 1200 Custom
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

Bring a good attitude and don’t freak out if something happens, safe travels!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

Poptopcamper wrote:
The weather girl says you guys are going to get some bad weather for TG. At 25, I would have taken my 1973 VW bus for the adventure. At age 65, if the roads are snowy and icy in Wyoming, I'd leave my 1978 bus at home and take my 4wd truck with heated seats and steering wheel, and save the adventure for a day with dry roads. Especially if I'm carrying my grandkids. Be safe. And Happy TG.

Where OP is located , the forecasted weather doesn’t even qualify as an event. If you head east, you’ll drive out of the lake effect in an hour or less.

Have a great trip!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

If it was me, I'd change the fan belt with a new one if you don't know how old it is. Put the old one in the bus as a spare.

What kind of fuel pump are you running? It's not a bad idea to carry a spare if you're running an economy fuel pump.

Then? Carry a credit card, AAA and time to enjoy the trip. A properly serviced bus that has been gone through mechanically with good parts should be absolutely fine to make this trip w/out carrying 200#'s of spare parts. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: