Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

a tarp to lie on when you have to crawl under the bus. or you can use it to cover your head in shame when our Gamecocks get beat by Clemson. Crying or Very sad
1971 Baywindow Bus

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

with a broken in engine, maybe your oil of choice, fanbelt of course,
check fluids & tire tread + spare & decent jack & away you go.
It's not a trip to Mars. It's 800 damn miles.
I type this as a type IV engine operator, a leatherman multi-tool
is what I run with, plus a spare alternator belt, some oil. Fuses I never need.
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

A lot of money , AAA, and lots of phone numbers of car rental agencies. Good luck. I went to Mexico and back on a half a gallon of Coleman fuel, one thread on the steering Knuckle and machine guns pointed at me...dont take firewood to mexico or bring what is left over back here....long story...made it , you always do in a bus
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

Bring a roll of TP. You just never know when somebody has got to go.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

Scotch, Marlboro Blend 27 and a Zippo with a new flint, a giant bag of Skittles and a 100 count bottle of Tylenol. Anything else is just extra weight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Scotch, Marlboro Blend 27 and a Zippo with a new flint, a giant bag of Skittles and a 100 count bottle of Tylenol. Anything else is just extra weight.

Wink

Link

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

extra dog treats!
rastomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

Maybe some moe. music?

'74 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

The younger employees at work used to ask me why I drive an old VW camper. I would tell them "I like to have a clear road in front of me so I can see the country side". "I look in front of me and there is no traffic and I look in my mirror and there is all these people in bumper to bumper traffic".
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

A quart of Brunswick Stew from the Smoking Pig BBQ. Get the bread also. To go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
The younger employees at work used to ask me why I drive an old VW camper. I would tell them "I like to have a clear road in front of me so I can see the country side". "I look in front of me and there is no traffic and I look in my mirror and there is all these people in bumper to bumper traffic".

Nice!!

Al - Ive got a decent set of spares of carbs, distributors, fuel pumps too - if you want loaners for the trip
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
tristessa wrote:
Beer

Bacon

Books

Bears

Beets and

Battlestar galactica
Thanks for the morning laugh! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
alschnier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

Welp - we made it! Broke it up into 2 chunks. Arrived safe & sound last night. Had tons of smiles, waves & cheers from passersby, as you all know Smile

Had an issue w/ the left carb, which required a little work - twice Shocked

I’ll post some pix & explain more a bit later. Off to our annual Turkey Trot.

Happy Thanksgiving!
alschnier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

So, the left carb keeps “coming undone”, resulting in a revving engine (around 3500rpm), regardless of accelerator. It happens at some point, on the highway, in 4th, while cruising @ 60-65mph, but not detected until we get off the interstate.

The connecting pin, attached to the spring is popping out of the steel piece, leaving the carb wide open. I was able to put it back in 2x, but not something I want to contend with on our return trip...

I’ve only worked on carbs twice in my life & it was yesterday Razz Is this something I can easily replace by running to AutoZone tomorrow & swapping out before our trip home?

Here are a few pix:

Before (detached):

After (reattached):
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

Link

If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

I’m not quite sure I’m grasping what’s wrong. The heater part of the choke is missing, And that wire needs to be secured or it will cause a fire.

From your symptoms it sounds like throttle linkage is getting loose and letting the carb go full open?
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I’m not quite sure I’m grasping what’s wrong. The heater part of the choke is missing, And that wire needs to be secured or it will cause a fire.

From your symptoms it sounds like throttle linkage is getting loose and letting the carb go full open?
I'm glad I'm not alone in this. I stared at the pictures for quite a while a re read the description and all I get is what Abscate said.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

Ah, I got it.

Look really close up at the choke pivot. The choke plate has fallen closed in the bottom picture, I could be wrong as you aren't running stock carbs here, but that's bad.choke needs to be fully open on a warm engine. Too much gas will,mix with oil and destroy lubrication, then your engine

Warning, will Robinson!
alschnier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

Sorry - the pix are taken w/ the heater removed & 12v wire detached (so that I could reconnect the throttle linkage). This happened 2x on the way there & once on the way home.

So - can the linkage be replaced or repaired without replacing the whole carburetor? (I'm learning, go easy on me haha).
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 800mi Road Trip - Advice on what to bring? Reply with quote

You could just wire it in place with one twist of wire.

My guess is that collar isnt sliding back into place correctly - usually those don't fall off unless they are installed wrong. Does the collar slide to the right against that spring?

You slide the collar out of the way, push the connector onto the ball, then let the collar snap back to keep it in place.

Still a bit puzzled
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: