Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pre '66 Front Wheel Bearing Grease Caps
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GSJoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Pre '66 Front Wheel Bearing Grease Caps Reply with quote

I recently had to replace the front wheel bearing grease caps on a friend's 1958-based dune buggy, (link pin/king pin front end), so I ordered what's available in aftermarket product. What I found, as others also have, is that these parts don't fit properly. In fact, they won't stay in the drum. Just on hunch, I ordered the aftermarket caps for the later ball-joint front end setup and carefully ground off the lip these caps have. I ground that lip off just a little at a time until the cap was close to an interference fit in the drum. A few taps with the hammer and all was once again good...front wheel bearings have sealed protection. In short, if you're having the same fit problem with grease caps 111.405.691 and 111.405.692 (left and right), you might consider ordering 111.405.691B and 111.405.692B and do the grind trick that I did.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Pre '66 Front Wheel Bearing Grease Caps Reply with quote

Could you say where you bought them so others can avoid this vendor? Or give them a chance to source quality parts. Maybe they don't care but I'd try just a little.
GSJoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Pre '66 Front Wheel Bearing Grease Caps Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Could you say where you bought them so others can avoid this vendor? Or give them a chance to source quality parts. Maybe they don't care but I'd try just a little.

I purchased the ones that didn't work at a local foreign parts supply here in Charlotte. This vendor has always supplied me with good parts and often carries several grades of a product to give the customer a choice. This time they offered no options for those early grease caps. I've looked online for them and all the vendors I saw offer the same ones I bought. Those caps don't even look like the originals. Their shape is different and they're made of thick non-flexing metal. These parts need to flex a little since they are held in place only by friction/interference. I even tried to find OEM caps on eBay, but I had no luck there. That's why I decided to go the route of the "custom fit". The ones that don't fit came in plastic bags with the correct VW part number on them. I threw those bags away, however, so I cannot provide a brand name. Again, though, my feeling is that all currently available grease caps are unusable, and I have found other posts online attesting to this. That's why I posted my approach using the later caps and modifying them.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre '66 Front Wheel Bearing Grease Caps Reply with quote

This is good to know! do you have some photographs showing whst you did, or how the faulty part looks?

Thanks, Keep Buggin!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: