Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Preemptive ECU repair
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Preemptive ECU repair Reply with quote

I don't really know how many miles are on my 83 1/2 POS, but it is likely very high as the non working odometer read something like 250K miles when I bought it and the vehicle had already trashed its second coat of paint. I have added another 100K to it since. I am thus thinking of preemptively doing some resoldering of joints in the ECU and would also love to raise the decel fuel cutoff speed a bit while I am dinking around in there. We did have a mystery problem with the unit years back, where when on a long trip the engine would slowly drive worse and worse until it almost wouldn't idle and have very little torque down low. The problem would slowly improve with around town use until it would eventually disappear, only to come back on another 1000+ mile trip.

Looking for others thoughts and ideas
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Preemptive ECU repair Reply with quote

Why not reflow the solder. Practice on some old circuit boards. You could just add new solder, like I did. If you want to be a pro reflow all joints with flux solder then use a desoldering iron to remove all old solder and flux. Then put some good solder down (I don't know what to recommend here)

I used to sell these things at radioshack back in the day. They are great, I stocked up like 10 tips for this before they went bankrupts

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Preemptive ECU repair Reply with quote

If it works, don't fix it. Buy a working ECU. Swap them to test. Keep a spare.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ohhorob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Preemptive ECU repair Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
... would also love to raise the decel fuel cutoff speed a bit while I am dinking around in there.

What are the possible ways of doing that with Digijet? Is it an analog part of the circuit where you can change component values to alter the cutoff?

I thought it would all be in the digital side of the ECU (programming of the intel processor)?

I took a copy of the program from a Digijet, but I haven't been able to decipher much of the code. One of the things I was hoping to find is a constant value that determines the decel fuel cutoff.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Preemptive ECU repair Reply with quote

Hey Wildthings:

Regarding re-soldering, I would suggest not doing so.

My "straw poll" suggests that the ECU "cracked Printed Circuit Board" phenomenon is more common on the 2.1 units than the 1.9. Your van's symptoms are also not consistent with the cracked PCB phenomenon.

Regardless, my theory is that if the ECU connector is provided with appropriate strain relief, so that the harness does not place twisting or bending forces on the printed circuit board, then the problem is highly unlikely to arise. Remember that unlike some other newer types of ECU, on the Digijet and Digifant ECU's the harness connector connects directly to the Printed Circuit Board.

So, the solution to this problem is prevention and is rather low-tech - - adjust the harness position and wiring position to eliminate bending and twisting forces at the connector. If at all possible, make the radius of the wiring bundle as large as possible. You can pull a bit more of the wire bundle into the under-seat area through the grommet to do this.
ohhorob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Preemptive ECU repair Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
You can pull a bit more of the wire bundle into the under-seat area through the grommet to do this.

Do some Digijets live under the seat? Mine is '85 and it's in the engine compartment on the drivers side.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Preemptive ECU repair Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
Hey Wildthings:

Regarding re-soldering, I would suggest not doing so.

My "straw poll" suggests that the ECU "cracked Printed Circuit Board" phenomenon is more common on the 2.1 units than the 1.9. Your van's symptoms are also not consistent with the cracked PCB phenomenon.

Regardless, my theory is that if the ECU connector is provided with appropriate strain relief, so that the harness does not place twisting or bending forces on the printed circuit board, then the problem is highly unlikely to arise. Remember that unlike some other newer types of ECU, on the Digijet and Digifant ECU's the harness connector connects directly to the Printed Circuit Board.

So, the solution to this problem is prevention and is rather low-tech - - adjust the harness position and wiring position to eliminate bending and twisting forces at the connector. If at all possible, make the radius of the wiring bundle as large as possible. You can pull a bit more of the wire bundle into the under-seat area through the grommet to do this.

Thanks for the straw pole results, I will certainly keep that in mind. So the Digijet actually uses digital logic? I had kind of assumed it was all analog. Doesn't sound like there is any user friendly way to change the decel cutoff speed then.

Don't really have a clue as to what causes the strange symptoms my van experiences, but in general the problem isn't that hard to live with as the van only exceeds a thousand miles per trip once every year or two and almost never exceeds 2000 miles per trip when the symptoms are really becoming a PITA. Have thought about just swapping in a Digifant system to get rid of the odd problem, maybe some day.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: