Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air cleaner location
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
impaleale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Air cleaner location Reply with quote

Hello, this is for a friend. He inherited his buggy and does not know a lot about VWs, just knows that they are fun and has good memories. His grandpa built this one. He would like to keep the air cleaner but there is got to be a better way. Way to much HP being wasted. Thanks people.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner location Reply with quote

I would put a proper elbow at the carb and one at the air cleaner and replace the hose.

brad
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner location Reply with quote

Lets see pics of the whole buggy.
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner location Reply with quote

If you aren't spending a lotta time driving it in high dust environments, put a paper filter element air cleaner right on top of the carb.

Here is a pic of my offoad filter on my car. Uses 2" ABS as plenums. Not pretty, by functional.

impaleale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner location Reply with quote

Good Ol’e Wythac, i can always count on you to post something good.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner location Reply with quote

Most offroad parts vendors should have some rubber or silicone hoses and/or fittings to make that filter look and work a little better.

Here is what I want to try. My cheap chrome filter touches the backside of the license plate and since I am hoping to do a little freshening up during the winter, I think I have the room to fit a bus oil bath air cleaner like this up under the back panel;

But I might do this instead if I can figure out how to fit them together;

Then I should be able to mount the license plate flat on the back panel with a proper Beetle light above it.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle

Last edited by Q-Dog on Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
impaleale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner location Reply with quote

I like that too! Don’t know what you got going on in the inside but you might be able to use that neck and put it inside. Less dust anyways. Just a thought. This buggy will be spending its time on high lands and flat lands of Utha.
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner location Reply with quote

If you aren't spending a lotta time driving it in high dust environments, put a paper filter element air cleaner right on top of the carb.

Here is a pic of my offoad filter on my car. Uses 2" ABS as plenums. Not pretty, by functional.

monomanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner location Reply with quote

Here are my set ups using the bus or ghia stamped air cleaner neck and top of oil bath cleaner. The air filters are ROTARY brand..paper air filters. Note that I modified a Briggs and Statton tractor air cleaner cover to mate up to the top of a bus oil bath cleaner. This helped keep water off of the filter. Not sure if it breathed OK or not...Seemed to work for several long buggy trips

I had to modify the triangle mount to support the intake neck. due to location of the holes in the fan shrouds.

Also, note that the gasket seal for these intakes to mate up to the carb body were not available for a while. I have not checked recently. It is a square cross section. I ended up finding an O ring that was close in size.

I did insert a breather nipple into the air filter for recirculating oil.

This setup fits under the body of my meyers manx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner location Reply with quote

I'm eventually going to turn a few boxes of spare parts into a complete running spare engine for my car. It will have a single carb intake and I will most definitely borrow/steal the cool stock filter/schorkel idea you guys posted. Functional and even looks period correct! Very cool.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: