Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

228 flywheel work
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwrenault
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: 228 flywheel work Reply with quote

I have a 228 flywheel on my 1972 411 can I use a 228 pressure plate and make a 228 disk need help ray??? I have not put the motor in .
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 228 flywheel work Reply with quote

I have never seen a 228 in a 411 or 412.
You really need to fit it to the bell housing to see if there is any interference.

If the flywheel fits and the starter ring gear lines up......then a good clutch shop whould be able to rebuild a 210 or 215 with 228 crictikn material.

You may need to check the spacer/ support shim between the linings of a 228. If they go out farther towards the edge.....there may be more to done. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwrenault
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 228 flywheel work Reply with quote

thanks ray I did not get a motor when I perched my 411 .It got put it in a bus . I got the car for $500 I have a lot more in it now like you say this car is not everyone.Im getting close cv and trans next I have 3 transmission to see the best of and run it . the motor out of 914 rebuilt it myself .
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: 228 flywheel work Reply with quote

vwrenault wrote:
thanks ray I did not get a motor when I perched my 411 .It got put it in a bus . I got the car for $500 I have a lot more in it now like you say this car is not everyone.Im getting close cv and trans next I have 3 transmission to see the best of and run it . the motor out of 914 rebuilt it myself .

Ok.....possible problem.

If this is a 914 engine.....is it a 2.0L?
And did it come with the 228 flywheel? If so.......the 228 will not work because the 914 228 had a 5mm offset to the starter ring gear.
It can be made to work....with some work. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwrenault
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 228 flywheel work Reply with quote

no its a bus 2.0 flywheel the motor was 1.7 I have found a flywheel at home I got 2 bus motors and 1 914 to get all the parts for this project. Very Happy
Pelle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 228 flywheel work Reply with quote

411/412 has different splines on the input shaft in the transmission than any other aircooled VW. You need to locate a 411/412 specific clutch disc they came in 200, 210 and 215 mm. The 200 mm was only used the first year. When you´ve located a disc then get a pressure plate and flywheel that matches.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 228 flywheel work Reply with quote

Pelle wrote:
411/412 has different splines on the input shaft in the transmission than any other aircooled VW. You need to locate a 411/412 specific clutch disc they came in 200, 210 and 215 mm. The 200 mm was only used the first year. When you´ve located a disc then get a pressure plate and flywheel that matches.

Yes....correct which is wby I noted he should get a 210 or 215 rebuilt into a 228.

I do have a worry about that though.....as I have never has thst done.

Ghe worry is......that when you remove the linings from a 210 and a 215 diac and have them next to each other....the spring steel shim fingers that are riveted to the center clutch disc qnd are then in turn riveted to the clutch fcri tion material.....are the same for the 210 and 215. Essentiqlly all of the metallic parts of a 215 are from a 210.

So what you will notice is that this supporting spring steel ring between the clutch linings is farther inward on the 215 than the 210. There is a little less support from the spring steel fingers on the 215.
I have never had this be an issue on a 215. However......the 228 is quite a bit larger. The spring steel support fingers will be a good 16mm from the outside edge of the criction material. I do not know if there is enough distance on this sandwiched steel ring to reach all of the rivets on the 228 lining material. Ray
Pelle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: 228 flywheel work Reply with quote

The bolts for the 228 pressure plate will interfer with the starter. When the buses got 228 they also got a new bellhousing and a new starter.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 228 flywheel work Reply with quote

Pelle wrote:
The bolts for the 228 pressure plate will interfer with the starter. When the buses got 228 they also got a new bellhousing and a new starter.

Great information!.

I also do not think the 411/412 nees a 228.
The 228 makes sense on a bus....not because of HP (ths bus has less)....but because of the weight and low gearing....torque.

All of that said.....I do not think the 2.0 914 required the 228 either. While it has more surface area....it had no more clamping pressure stock. A 210 can be uprated in clakping pressure to equal or surpass a 215. Likewise....a 215 can be uprated to nearly equal a 228.

The object is to machine a small amount from the pressure plate seating ledge to increase clamping force. You can also use some of the higher spring pressure 215 pressure plates from water cooled vehicles with a little work. Ray
vwrenault
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: 228 flywheel work Reply with quote

IM GOING TO FIND OUT BY BOLTING UP ONE OF MY TRANS THIS WEEKEND AND GET BACK TO YOU . I HOPE IT WORK.
vwrenault
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 228 flywheel work Reply with quote

THE PICS OF TRANS
vwrenault
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: 228 flywheel work Reply with quote

PELLE THE PICS OF CLUTCH DISK ARE 411 ONLY .
vwrenault
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 228 flywheel work Reply with quote

No is the answer to my questions. If you want to grind your trans to fit it can be done. Im going back to stock.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 228 flywheel work Reply with quote

there is a starter _ don't ask where it came from (no numbers)- that has the Bendix buried deep in the nose of the starter- even deeper than vanagon starter- that looks like it will accommodate a t-4 clutch.

[img
[/img]

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 228 flywheel work Reply with quote

Don't play around too much. The starters should be fairly simple to find

Make note of your chassis number and then post the number and letter code from the side of your transmissions...then I can tell you which chassis they went with originally so you can choose the 004 starter you need from the list above. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: