Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Our new beetle! Help!?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Our new beetle! Help!? Reply with quote

First look at the axel boots, if torn or rotted and the oil is coming from there and the trans is not growling at you, boots are easy and oil coming from them will whip the oil all over the place and the dust will turn it black and don't drive it until you fill the trans until it comes out the fill hole.
rsthj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Our new beetle! Help!? Reply with quote

phyregod wrote:
I believe the input shaft seal is leaking quite badly. Both drain plugs are leaking and it appears that there is another leak up by the shifter. Driving at parking lot speed it leaves a dribble of about 1 drop every 2 inches, when parked it leaves a 10 inch puddle, but stops leaking after it’s cooled off.. or after all the residual oil drips off.. there is a quarter inch of old hard black sludge all over the trans.. I could power wash what I can and see where I end up.

The two plugs in the bottom.. do I just torque them down to stop the leaking? Teflon tape? I haven’t pulled them to look quite yet. But the oil coming out is pretty black. If it’s the input shaft seal that means the clutch is covered in oil as well.. something that needs to be addressed.

All of this combined makes me want to pull it apart and fix it. I’m a bit of a perfectionist and solidly addicted to tinkering.

Is it definitely gear oil that is leaking? Because that is a really fast leak and sounds much more like the front main seal on the engine. Gear oil has a uniquely unpleasant smell that is quite different from motor oil. (you likely already know this but I bring it up because you mention that much of your experience is with Hondas and some (most?) Hondas used to use motor oil in their transmissions.)

If the transmission is otherwise good, replacing all of the gaskets is a huge but essentially straight forward job. But, If you need to go further and replace syncros, bearings and the like, you are in very specialized territory. Like many have mentioned, the specialized tools are the deal breaker.

In any event, Welcome! That looks to be a very pretty car and we'd all enjoy seeing more pictures.
vwfreek61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Our new beetle! Help!? Reply with quote

phyregod wrote:
I am very much a do it yourselfer. My passion is in Honda CRXs, and i’ve Rebuilt a few Honda motors and transmissions myself. So a ‘64 beetle trans.. to quote Jeremy Clarkson.. “How hard could it be?” Laughing

It's not rocket science. Keep an eye on the classifieds and swap meets for the transmission tools and give it a try. My dad has rebuilt a couple transmissions and they haven't blown up yet.
1987 Vanagon Westy w/Subaru EJ25 and reversed 4EAT
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Our new beetle! Help!? Reply with quote

phyregod wrote:
We’re in Brownwood, TX. Right in the center. Anyone recommend a shop?
l:

Looks like you’re about halfway between Dallas an Austin. In the DFW area i would recommend “The Bug Stop”. They’ve been around for years and do a great job, although it can take weeks for them to get just about any job done.
http://www.bugstopinc.com
1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no one told them to."
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: