Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Our new beetle! Help!?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
phyregod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Our new beetle! Help!? Reply with quote

As far as I can tell, the transmission is leaking from everywhere it can leak from, and has been for many years. I plan to pull it and toss a gasket kit at it.. possibly synchros, too. I did read the charts and best I can tell the transmission is september 1960? But that chart makes me cross-eyed. I could be nuts. The "A (B)" part throws me off. I have no A or B suffix. Just a number. Am I reading it right?

As for the garage.. I have a pair of Honda CRXs in there. 90 and 91, both Si. Honda CRX guy at heart. The Excursion and the BMW sleep outside.. Very Happy

Looks like the 90 si may be headed to a new home to make room for the beetle, though. I can't let that car sleep outside for long.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Our new beetle! Help!? Reply with quote

Look under the technical section at the top of the page. You can look up #'s there.

But the better question is where did you get the wife? Mine puts up with my bug habit at best Crying or Very sad

Sometimes it gets difficult to explain why my old cars occupy the garage while her new car says outside on the driveway.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Our new beetle! Help!? Reply with quote

Yeah, it looks like the engine is later, but the trans may be original. It looks to be about mid 64 from this page.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php

Looks to be a great find!

Depending on where it's leaking from may determine the complexity of the resealing, and if you want to attempt it, or have a shop do it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
phyregod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Our new beetle! Help!? Reply with quote

Hey everyone! We’re new to the world of classic VWs and we’ve just purchased a 1964 beetle.. my wife’s dream car for the past 30 years!

The engine is freshly rebuilt but the transmission looks like it hasn’t been touched. Ever. It’s bleeding from a few places. I’d love some help identifying what exactly they are, eapecially the transmission so I can start wrenching on it.

Engine code says H 0068580. From what i’ve read, this is a 66 type 2?
Transmission serial number is 7004967. Maybe a ‘60 beetle trans?
Is that correct?

Any info is appreciated! Thanks!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: