Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

started car with incomplete wiring
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldmanmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: started car with incomplete wiring Reply with quote

The 63 wiring is done, but not complete. All the input to fused output wires are going to the correct places. At this time i cannot install fenders and wire up head lights, tail lights etc. Why ? I have been kicked out of the garage and the family car going back in. Plus winter is setting in Chicagoland.
So, i'll take the cover off the car and start it now and then during winter to keep it healthy.
I would like to know how to do this. The wires to lights are inside the trunk and engine bay unattached . Can i remove the fuses to any incomplete wiring and turn the key to start ? What to do ? Wiring is anxiety.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: started car with incomplete wiring Reply with quote

oldmanmark wrote:
The 63 wiring is done, but not complete. All the input to fused output wires are going to the correct places. At this time i cannot install fenders and wire up head lights, tail lights etc. Why ? I have been kicked out of the garage and the family car going back in. Plus winter is setting in Chicagoland.
So, i'll take the cover off the car and start it now and then during winter to keep it healthy.
I would like to know how to do this. The wires to lights are inside the trunk and engine bay unattached . Can i remove the fuses to any incomplete wiring and turn the key to start ? What to do ? Wiring is anxiety.

pulling the fuse shpuld disable the loose wkres, however why start the car over the winter and not drive it? unless you get it up to full operating temp, (unlikely if you simply idle it on a cold winter day) ylu will introduce water to the engine, burning of fuel creatss water va
or amoung other cases, and unless ylu engine and muffler gets hot enough for long enpugh, water from combustion will condense there, best to park the the car after it was warmed up and leave it. run some fuel stabilizer in the tank, and run it till the stabilized fuel fills the carb, some folks go as far as pouring a bit of oil down the carb as she runs to coat the engine bits. for futher protection, cap off the intake and tail pipes to reduce air flow thru the ml
otor. mame sure the fuel tank js topped off with stabilized fuel. this is a much better thing to do that peridoic idling. also top off the batter with an ac sharger every month or so. or trickle charge it. you can remkve the battery to the garage if that is mlre convient. for charging.

short idling periods wont help the motor and may actually harm it, waste of gas, waste of time. best to put the Bug to hibernation,
reserve the gas, run it thru the carb, cap off holes to engine, squirt oil down carb for extra protection, top off gas tank to mi minimize air space above fuel, keep battery charged, fully inflate tires to avoid flat spots, keep tires off dirt, raise on pavement or wood blocks, dont let them sink knto dkrt, they will rot otherwise. avoid non breathable traps on the car, they promote rust as they create a 100% humidity enviroment under them. you need an air space above the paint work.

good luck, good night my Bug, pleasent dreams.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
oldmanmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: started car with incomplete wiring Reply with quote

humm, well some of what u said bluebus66 am aware of. Took for granted an air-cooled engine would warm up like a water cooled one. Your right, not so. I do believe in spin the crank by hand some during winter. Pull plugs, squirt oil, etc. Car is not drivable yet, just startable.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: