Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shifter bushing replacements ?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Shifter bushing replacements ? Reply with quote

Here are the old ones.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These are the new replacements from WW
This is as “ tight “ as I can get them, they are pinned in the holes , the front bushing has the metal ring inserted. However , take a look at the “ gap” where they go together. Is this acceptable ? Your opinions and experience GREATLY appreciated. This project has taken on a life of its own, and I really don’t want to do it twice! I will lube the tube and the bushings with Superlube, and found the older post from Amskeptic on using compressed air to blow a glob of lube in each end of the ( VERY CLEAN) tube to lubricate. Thank you, Bob

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifter bushing replacements ? Reply with quote

I’ve found that the tits on the new bushings sometimes need to be filed in order to mate well with the holes in the rod. Then I squeeze them in with a pair of channel lock pliers. It’s the best we have with available parts
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifter bushing replacements ? Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about the gap, as long as the tittie is fully in the hole and the bushing is tight to the tube it'll do it's job. "One size fits most".

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifter bushing replacements ? Reply with quote

Aeromech and Busdaddy, I sincerely thank you both for your replies. The bushings ( after a bit of careful coaxing) did finally snap in pretty flush with the curvature of the rod. I will try a little more “ persuasion “ with some padded channel locks tomorrow morning. I will use the Superlube with compressed air to push the lube into the bushings and hopefully coat enough of the tube to make them slide. This has been an amazing journey. Could not do it without all of the combined knowledge and experience of guys like you! Thanks. Now I can sleep tonight ! Tomorrow the shaft goes in, and just maybe the transmission might get bolted back in too. Fingers crossed! Bob
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter bushing replacements ? Reply with quote

The WW bushings are good. It's hard to tell from the photo but the one with the ring inside looks like it might be different from ones I am used to. That ring-middle one has never been reproduced well. The moulding is poor and there is tons of flash around the nubs that locate into the rod, the flash has to be removed carefully before installing the bushing. The one without the ring made by WW got a lot better several years ago when it seems like they made a new mould and started using better (harder) plastic. The WW ones can be identified by the slightly amberish plastic, the crappy bushings are milky white.

I'd be a touch worried about the paint on the shift rod. There is no paint on the rod from the factory and this is going to upset the dimension of the rod slightly. Seems trivial but might not be, tolerances matter.
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter bushing replacements ? Reply with quote

Don’t know if would make a difference . The WW bushings are well made ( in my opinion) the molding is sharp , no flash whatsoever. So, now do I remove the bushings and remove the paint below where they mount? I will hold until we have a consensus on this. Once the rod is in, pretty sure would break bushings to take it out. Scott, important point, was in the back of my mind , but saw that Aeromech had painted a set. I will PM plywood kid and see how his worked out, as he just did. Bob
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter bushing replacements ? Reply with quote

So.... I’ve decided to just remove the paint under the bushings. That way back to original “specs”. Area will be protected with Superlube anyway.
Wishing you all a Happy and safe Easter Holiday . Bob
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifter bushing replacements ? Reply with quote

Well, wish me luck. Tomorrow the rods go back in , and the transmission gets bolted back in. Hard to believe how long this has taken, but cold weather really slowed things down. Also many, many “ well, why we’re here might as well” collateral damage repairs were done.
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifter bushing replacements ? Reply with quote

Well, wish me luck. Tomorrow the rods go back in , and the transmission gets bolted back in. Hard to believe how long this has taken, but cold weather really slowed things down. Also many, many “ well, why we’re here might as well” collateral damage repairs were done.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: