Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

White steam / smoke coming out of crank case breather
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: White steam / smoke coming out of crank case breather Reply with quote

Hi all have a look at this video and tell me if you think I have a piston ring on it’s way out
The first video is of the breather after a five minute run and the second video is of the breather on first start up when cold
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2WkvyS351FU
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bD0-GwWcw6U

In the second video I had the engine engine running at just 500rpm
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: White steam / smoke coming out of crank case breather Reply with quote

New, rebuild? Do a leak down.
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: White steam / smoke coming out of crank case breather Reply with quote

The engine is a rebuild with new cam, pistons and barrows, pump and so on.
Unfortunately I don’t have a leak down test set so I will have to go buy one
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: White steam / smoke coming out of crank case breather Reply with quote

I can say that when I try and turn the engine over by hand you can fill all four cylinders have compression
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: White steam / smoke coming out of crank case breather Reply with quote

At this point it's not a question of is it on it's way out, but which one? I'd say you have a definite ring problem. You didn't use synthetic oil did you?

brad.
thesatanicmechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: White steam / smoke coming out of crank case breather Reply with quote

Details on the rebuild?

Piston and cylinder brand, bore, height group, ring end gap, etc...

Oil isn't way overfilled is it?

You could drive it and try to seat the rings, search "break in" on the site. That is a whole lot of blow by though.
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: White steam / smoke coming out of crank case breather Reply with quote

This is the Oil I’ve just https://www.flightstore.co.uk/aircraft-supplies-c8...J_EALw_wcB

I can’t give you much detail on the engine rebuild it wasn’t done by me
I have a friend coming round in a minute with a compression tester so I will post up my results. But I just want to make shaw I will be doing it right, I do it on a cold engine and crank it over with the throttle fully open?
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: White steam / smoke coming out of crank case breather Reply with quote

Right here are the results
Cylinder
1-124psi
2-122psi
3-122psi
4-126psi
If that’s good or bad I have no idea?

Next he done a leak check at 100psi
Cylinder 1 held 82psi
Cylinder 2 held 80psi
Cylinder 3 held 82psi
Cylinder 4 held 83psi

Once again I have no idea if that’s good or bad
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: White steam / smoke coming out of crank case breather Reply with quote

You need dino oil to break in the rings. Put some straight grade and try the ring break in procedure again. Hopefully the rings will set.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: White steam / smoke coming out of crank case breather Reply with quote

My guess is you have cracked a couple pistons from detonation with your turbo setup.

If I were you I would pull it off the road now and replace the P/C's with new ones.
With that much blowby you are driving a time bomb.

CorysVDub blew his engine to kingdom come when he had that problem.

I pulled my engine and replaced my P/C's when I had a blowby problem also.
I could not see the cracks with the naked eye but I never pulled the rings to check there.

It fixed the issue and I have had no other problems since going FI and being able to control Fuel and timing.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: White steam / smoke coming out of crank case breather Reply with quote

I agree time to pull the engine and fit some more pistons 😡
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: White steam / smoke coming out of crank case breather Reply with quote

Is there any brand you would recommend?
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: White steam / smoke coming out of crank case breather Reply with quote

advinnie wrote:
I agree time to pull the engine and fit some more pistons 😡

It happens......That's why you want to run a muffler of some sort to make the engine quiet. You can hear the detonation if your exhaust is quiet enough.
Detonation can come at any time and if you let it happen too much you will crack the pistons.
Fix it now and it's just a set of barrels and pistons....let it go till it blows and you might be able to save only the clutch and flywheel.
Cory's engine was carnage and completely destroyed....you don't want to go there.........

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: White steam / smoke coming out of crank case breather Reply with quote

I must say that at no point have I herd detonation and I’ve been very safe with the timing but shit happens
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: White steam / smoke coming out of crank case breather Reply with quote

Cast or forged pistons!
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: White steam / smoke coming out of crank case breather Reply with quote

advinnie wrote:
I must say that at no point have I herd detonation and I’ve been very safe with the timing but shit happens

If you can't hear the detonation due to exhaust or car noise then you can't say you have been safe with the timing.....

The blowby..... in my experience points to severe detonation......but I could be wrong.

I have AA P/C's and they are the Hyperteutic (spelling??) pistons.

If you don't have a good muffler on your engine then I doubt you will be able to hear the detonation.....especially if you don't know what it sounds like.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: White steam / smoke coming out of crank case breather Reply with quote

In spite of the consistent test result #s, that pronounced breather pulsing seen in vids pretty much pegs it - you've no compression seal on 1 cylinder.
Suggest trying the dino oil first - have nothing to lose.
As others have noted, some type of quiet exhaust would also help here.
G' luck!
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: White steam / smoke coming out of crank case breather Reply with quote

Cheers all for your help/advice I will try a straight 30weight Oil first while I want for farther Christmas to bring me my forged pistons 😁
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: White steam / smoke coming out of crank case breather Reply with quote

Hi all after I post my compression last night I noticed that the compression gauge I was using was broken so went out and got a new one today and got a total different result.
The first figures are the cold cranking pressures and the second are hot cranking pressures
Cylinder 1- 117 & 128
Cylinder 2- 110 & 125
Cylinder 3- 50 & 68
Cylinder 4-120 & 129

No this is where I’ve got confused
After cranking for ten seconds I took the reading on the gauge and then left the engine for five minutes to see what the pressure drop would be and here’s them results
Cylinder1-went from 117 down to 109psi
Cylinder 2 went from 110 down to 104psi
Cylinder 3 went from 50 down to 47psi
Cylinder 4 went from 120 down to 114psi
This was done on a cold engine but if cylinder 3 is not making pressure due to bad rings how is it holding on to its pressure?
I was expecting cylinder 3 to drop its pressure very fast but it didn’t
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: White steam / smoke coming out of crank case breather Reply with quote

I think it's not your cylinder that's holding pressure, it the one-way check valve in the compression gauge that's holding pressure.

So, no. 3 is the culprit. Nice catch.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: