Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Re: Major Fail: What am I Looking at?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillJohnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Major Fail: What am I Looking at? Reply with quote

Fan without the center bolt:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BillJohnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Major Fail: What am I Looking at? Reply with quote

Just got off the phone with my mechanic. His story is that he remembers that there was damage on the crankshaft (?) and that he had to J-Weld the center bolt to the crankshaft? But then where is the bolt? He said he would likely use J-Weld again, let it sit a couple of days, and then see if it holds? Of course, he is pushing for a total engine rebuild because he says if it's only staying on there with J-Weld, it will come out again.

Anyone else have a better solution?
thesatanicmechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Major Fail: What am I Looking at? Reply with quote

Never spend another dime with that person again. Do not call them or talk to them.

I, I just don't know what to say other than that. I work on cars for a living and acvws as a passion. Inept, unprofessional hackery.

Get a referral to a real vw mechanic
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Major Fail: What am I Looking at? Reply with quote

IIRC you can drill and tap the crankshaft for a larger diameter bolt if need be. This would be far preferable to trying to JB Weld the bolt in place. Not sure if this is what he is talking about, if he is just trying to JB Weld the hub in place without a bolt, that surely will not work.
redxxrdr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Major Fail: What am I Looking at? Reply with quote

JB weld to hold a fan bolt in a crank?

Didn't tell you that he did it?

Sorry mechanic, don't go there again.

Now how did he find this problem? I guess that he removed the fan to fix the bracket?

Bet a impact wrench was involved, to remove AND install the bolt.
I have had more than one lugnut stripped by a mechanic with a impact.
Engine in, no flywheel lock or torque wrench used.

I would look for thread chaser, woodruff key, and a new bolt. Pull the engine, chase the threads, and see if the bolt will hold torque.
BillJohnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Major Fail: What am I Looking at? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
IIRC you can drill and tap the crankshaft for a larger diameter bolt if need be. This would be far preferable to trying to JB Weld the bolt in place. Not sure if this is what he is talking about, if he is just trying to JB Weld the hub in place without a bolt, that surely will not work.

Yes, I believe he's talking about the bolt. I wonder why he didn't do that in the first place, unless the end of the crankshaft is too damaged to drill and tap? Jeez.
BillJohnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Major Fail: What am I Looking at? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

He says that might be an option, but that you would still have to pull the engine and take it to a machine shop?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Major Fail: What am I Looking at? Reply with quote

You probably do have to pull the engine to get a drill in square to oversize the hole and then tap.

I have to concur that this a bad piece of mechanic work that could. Have costed you an entire engine. I think you will be ok though. People here think you have to rebuild your engine if a fly lands on it.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Major Fail: What am I Looking at? Reply with quote

I think you could do it with in the engine in and use an angle drill. The bit is going to want to follow the existing threaded hole and thus will pretty much square itself. Maybe buy three taps and grind one so that it all but has to start in straight, then follow with a normal tap, and follow that with a bottom tap.

You could also just lower the rear of the engine so that the centerline of the fan is below the bumper so as to get a straight shot at the end of the crank. Less work than doing a full engine pull.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Major Fail: What am I Looking at? Reply with quote

It's an M8 x30mm bolt, 1.25 thread. Just pulled the old one and checked.

With that info, I'd go to the hardware store, get another bolt, and see just how effed the crank threads are, after rinsing it with pb blaster and air, rags, whatever, and see if a new bolt threads in.

Added thread pitch.

Last edited by my59 on Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Major Fail: What am I Looking at? Reply with quote

stay away from that shop from here on out. No one would hold a fan that spins 5,000 RPM at times in with JB weld.

You need to find another solution. There could be many possibilities here to fix it but he isn't one. He knew all along that a stripped bolt was involved then he looked you in the eye and said I don't hear anything.

Do you understand that if you were behind that bus setting the timing and that fan came loose at RPM it could kill you or a family member?

Link

Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Major Fail: What am I Looking at? Reply with quote

Len's 914 is turning 8,000 rpms most of the video there but still holding a fan on with JB Weld is criminal. Pull the fan housing off and see if you can chase the threads or if a piece of bolt is in there remove it by drilling it out using a Cobalt/boron drill bit. Then a Easy out
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BillJohnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Major Fail: What am I Looking at? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I think you could do it with in the engine in and use an angle drill. The bit is going to want to follow the existing threaded hole and thus will pretty much square itself. Maybe buy three taps and grind one so that it all but has to start in straight, then follow with a normal tap, and follow that with a bottom tap.

You could also just lower the rear of the engine so that the centerline of the fan is below the bumper so as to get a straight shot at the end of the crank. Less work than doing a full engine pull.

See, this guy is not equipped to do any of this himself, ergo, pull the engine and send it to a machine shop. I'm pretty sure that he doesn't even troubleshoot the way you do on stuff like this. The only machine shop around that is reputable and does his rebuilds is moving now and won't be back up and running until mid-January. This is the stuff I've been putting up with for years. So, in the interim, I'm without a bus for two months. Really?
BillJohnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Major Fail: What am I Looking at? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
stay away from that shop from here on out. No one would hold a fan that spins 5,000 RPM at times in with JB weld.

You need to find another solution. There could be many possibilities here to fix it but he isn't one. He knew all along that a stripped bolt was involved then he looked you in the eye and said I don't hear anything.

Do you understand that if you were behind that bus setting the timing and that fan came loose at RPM it could kill you or a family member?

Link

I see what you're saying. I get the picture you're painting, i.e., how potentially dangerous this was. I am really frustrated. I would love to take this bus to someone else.
BillJohnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Major Fail: What am I Looking at? Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
Len's 914 is turning 8,000 rpms most of the video there but still holding a fan on with JB Weld is criminal. Pull the fan housing off and see if you can chase the threads or if a piece of bolt is in there remove it by drilling it out using a Cobalt/boron drill bit. Then a Easy out

Is this something that could ostensibly be done without pulling the engine, i.e., the thread chaser? What's perplexing is that he got his start working in a machine shop rebuilding engines for the very machine shop he now sends his customer's engines to. A big part of his business is engine rebuilds. He tears them down, sends off the engine, and puts it all back together again.

I wish I had a few people here in Seattle who clearly have the experience several of you have to tackle something like this.
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Major Fail: What am I Looking at? Reply with quote

Isnt Seattle the flies on shit of bus central? Ask Stuart for local help. Or any of the other bus meetup groups out that way... im surenyou could gather enought hobbyists to get a descent diagnosis or work done for the cost of beer.

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
mike77777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Major Fail: What am I Looking at? Reply with quote

I would clean the bolthole in the crankshaft, and see if a new proper sized bolt threads in. IF the woodruff key slot is ok, you would need maybe a key, and a bolt. Next, if that bolt has a hard time, try a tap of the correct diameter and pitch. Still a problem, then drill out the crank to the next size bolt. 40 year old technology, air cooled, carburators, not many can work on them successfully without training, or experience. There are a few shops in Portland still working on these. Trafton's has been assumed by a new owner. The parts house on Halsey, near se 82nd ave. has a shop in back. their lot is always full, they have parts. Just some ideas. call them, they may know a VWAC mechanic in Seattle. I worked 30 years in Alaska as a line mechanic in a small town[Homer] for various small shops. 4 bays was the largest, came across these vans from time to time. Had to get my mind into the design philosophy of the Germans , and follow procedures to have success repairing these.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Major Fail: What am I Looking at? Reply with quote

BillJohnson wrote:
Bleyseng wrote:

Is this something that could ostensibly be done without pulling the engine, i.e., the thread chaser? What's perplexing is that he got his start working in a machine shop rebuilding engines for the very machine shop he now sends his customer's engines to. A big part of his business is engine rebuilds. He tears them down, sends off the engine, and puts it all back together again.

I wish I had a few people here in Seattle who clearly have the experience several of you have to tackle something like this.

See...this is the problem people do not understand. You can spend two decades building top fuel and Grand National engines....and have the mechanical/machine skills to work on aircooled VW and Porsche engines.....and yet that does not wualify you to work on them at all.
In general that does not mean you KNOW what to do that is specific to a VW engine....what to inspect....what is at risk and what tolerances it requires.
And....experience building type 1 engines does not qualify you to work on type 4 without serious homework. Different material set and issues.

To one looking at a type 4 fan....with no type 4 experience....seeing the three 8mm bolts....would have no idea that it hides a morse taper and that the center bolt is critical.

Yet.....if this guy was a mechanic of any usefulness.....he would have known that a hugh grade bolt means its there for a reason.

JB weld is a side of the road repair tool. It has no place on an engine for any use...unless its there simply in short term while you are waiting for the correct part from UPS. Otherwise its hackery.

You can repair this at home....if its repairable at all. Remove muffler.....no special tools. Remove rear sheet metal and any attached tubes.....remove fan and belt.....basically already done for you. You have about 9" to a foot to work in. You can chase the threads or drill and retap. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mike77777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Major Fail: What am I Looking at? Reply with quote

Have had this 77 for about 10 years now, been doing some thorough cleaning and repairing on her since August. She sat for 3 years. Tires were 10 years old, needed new due to deterioration.. Alternator was shot, and oil cooler leaked. Getting ready to fire her up again, had pulled the engine , replaced all the gaskets and seals accessable. Cleaned the heat exchangers, tin, fan shroud. assembly was easy out on the floor. Put new connectors on suspect wires. Basically made her as reliable as a 40 year old vehicle can be. They are labor intensive, def not plug and play.
LouFilia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Major Fail: What am I Looking at? Reply with quote

Quote:

To answer your question, yes, the simplest fix (chasing the thread installing a new bolt) should be able to be done without dropping the engine. Please read Ray's response (edit, two posts before this one, RayGreenwood). Hopefully your mechanic did not do this already.

The point I saw here was your write up about the mechanic, whether consciously or unconsciously he appears to be forcing you into 'his system'. This is what he does, marginally maintains an engine until it has to be replaced, and replaces it for a big profit. He actually ignored your complaints that indicated a huge failure coming, he ignored what he knew he'd done to the engine, and he ignored the noises coming from the engine. He wanted this engine to fail big time because it's both the easiest and most profitable way for him to continue. It's not uncommon when regular mechanics work on/attack classic cars. Sadly, in this case, his system may have worked, but please find a good mechanic. I am sure there are still some good VW shops left in Seattle. Look on here, yelp, and ask around. Do a thread search. Start a thread titled, 'looking for a good mechanic in Seattle' (again, do a thread search because this question has been ask plenty of times.)

I did lots of general contractor work for softies in the late 90s/early zeros east of Seattle (eastern King and snohomish counties), and many had old VWs that were professionally maintained. (If you live in very eastern Seattle (think monroe, duvall, snohomish) and are desperate, I could get in contact with them (but expect to pay top dollar).

Last edited by LouFilia on Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: