Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Van won't start
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Van won't start Reply with quote

1984 VW Vanagon, fuel injected

My van turns over, starter turns the engine. Fuel pump is coming on, I've got spark and fuel past the filter. Any ideas on where to go from here?
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Van won't start Reply with quote

Hello. Welcome to the Samba.

Before anything, change your fuel lines if you have not!

My 83.5 had starting issues. It would sputter and catch and seem like it would start up - turned out to be the Idle Control unit. I learned this by trying to set the timing - by bypassing this box.

Anyhow, make sure you have spark, fuel pressure, and your injectors are spraying. Vacuum leaks, clean your grounds if you haven't.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Van won't start Reply with quote

As noted, you can check the spray of fuel that comes from an injector w/o disturbing much -- the pair on the drivers side are easier to get at. The manual (Bentley et al) will show you what to expect.

Use care/caution removing the bolt (10mm?) that holds them on as some have managed to break it. If it seems reluctant some PBlaster overnight may be a good idea.

Alternately - a quick & dirty approach to diagnose a fuel issue is to see if starting fluid makes a difference - i.e. if it fires and runs briefly on that stuff then fuel delivery is suspect.

If you establish that fuel is reaching the cylinders then the 3rd leg of the stool is timing.

What was going on prior to the no-start condition? Had the engine been running okay? Was work done recently? Or is this an engine of unknown provenance?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Van won't start Reply with quote

Welcome. When did it start last?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Van won't start Reply with quote

I strongly recommend the no-start have spark and related threads in FAQs. Great information in those threads has helped me in the past.

Next steps can all be found here:

http://www.vanagonauts.com/files/Digijet_FI.pdf

Also, have you checked your ignition switch and grounds? The ignition switch should be ok with all the other stuff you know is working, but never know. Cleaning up grounds is good practice anyway.

You may already know and/or have done all of the above, but just trying to get the easy information out of the way.
RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Van won't start Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
. . . Any ideas on where to go from here?

Before you futilely head off in every direction except the right one, go to:

http://vanagonwestfaliaaccessories.com/

and buy: Vanagon 83.5 to 85 1.9 Digijet Injection Tech / Repair Manual

Methodically follow the troubleshooting scheme and you should be able to isolate your problem.

Richie (near The Burgh)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Van won't start Reply with quote

download the fuel injection book here:

http://www.vanagonauts.com/files/Vanagon%20Digifant%20Fuel%20Injection%20System.pdf

Just out of curiousity when was the last time you cleaned ALL of the Electrical ground connections?

Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Van won't start Reply with quote

Actually he will be better of with the Digijet version...

mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Van won't start Reply with quote

Y'all are cracking me up...
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Van won't start Reply with quote

Hey Everyone- Thanks for all of the help and advice, I really appreciate it. Definitely some things to tinker with. I've never cleaned any of the grounds, I'll look around and try to find them all regardless if that's not the issue, several of you mentioned that's an issue!

shagginwagon83- it's turning over and not catching. I haven't checked injectors, will do that this weekend. I did pull one of the electrical connectors, and there's no voltage when in accessory or trying to start. So, can I assume a faulty fuse or relay to begin with?

Again, I have spark and fuel, I hear the pump priming. Coil tested ok too.

ahwanee- good point on the starting fluid. I've done this before with a carburetor, but never on fuel injection. To test, just pull one of the injectors and spray in there? Like I said earlier I'm getting no voltage at the electrical connector, so I now expect faulty fuse/relay somewhere.

mikemtnbike- Thanks for the thread, very helpful. I'll definitely check that out. I haven't checked the ignition switch but I will.

RicoS- Definitely purchasing that, Thanks!

SteveM- Thanks a BUNCH for that link. Haven't checked or cleaned the grounds, but I will be!

Van ran great 2 weeks ago. Went out of town for a week, then no starty when I get back. Dogs love riding around in it, loaded them up and wouldn't start. I think they are just as sad about it as I am. I've replaced a lot of things- starter, alternator, other exterior engine bits. Electrical is not my forte, but it looks like it's time to put my big girl panties on and figure it out.

Thanks again for all of the help, I'll post when she's running again!

Jim
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Van won't start Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
...Again, I have spark and fuel, I hear the pump priming. Coil tested ok too...

Where did you test for spark? At the plug on at the coil lead?

You say you have fuel past the filter - I assume this is the square white plastic filter that is upstream from the pump?

Mike - yeah, I only read the most recent post. Oops.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Van won't start Reply with quote

jimboraza- the next steps for no-voltage at injectors are directly outlined in the Digijet manual links above. I could try and describe it, but the horse's mouth is a straight source, or something like that.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Van won't start Reply with quote

mikemtnbike- thanks a bunch for that link. I'm putting it with the Bently.

ahwahnee- coil tested ok, so I pulled a wire off a plug, had spark there.

My fuel line comes in and over the throttle body before it splits to go to the injectors. The filter is right before that split. There's gas in the lines going to the injectors, after the filter.

I can't thank everyone enough for all of the help and advice. Can't wait to get running again!!!

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

Jim
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Van won't start Reply with quote

Pick up the Lisle LED test light. (It is a GREAT test light to have anyway)

Pull off an injector plug and using a paper clip for one side and the probe for the other connect to both terminals.
Have someone Crank the engine, does it flash? (You cannot and should not do this with a normal test light!)
This tells you injector pulse or not.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Van won't start Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
...My fuel line comes in and over the throttle body before it splits to go to the injectors. The filter is right before that split...

Just to note, that is not the typical location of the filter - unless you are mistaking the fuel pressure regulator (which looks a bit like a metal encased fuel filter):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Van won't start Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
Actually he will be better of with the Digijet version...

uh...yeah...you know it might help a little bit better! Embarassed

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Van won't start Reply with quote

Ahwanee- Yep, thanks for the correction, I saw that in the link you sent. Never assume anything right?

djkeev- thanks, I ordered the light to test voltage at the injection connector.

Is there any way to test the ECU itself? Looks like of there's no voltage at the injectors then that's most likely the problem. Bummer. I found one on Go Westy, 700$, minus the 400$ core return. Those are rebuilt, couldn't find any new ones.

Jim
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Van won't start Reply with quote

I bought a used ECU here in the Samba ads for about 70 bucks (as I recall). I swapped it on and drove a while to confirm it is good, now I have a spare for testing (by substitution) and for use in case of failure.

I don't like to throw parts at a problem but a spare ECU is a fairly practical thing to carry if you plan to travel long & far.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Van won't start Reply with quote

As I understand the system, You won't actually see voltage at the injectors, with the LED tester you will see rapid flashes as the ECU works.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Van won't start Reply with quote

That under-body ground that runs from the transmission to the body, I wouldn't just check it, definitely replace it. They're only 5 bucks at the flaps, and the original braided ground gets corroded internally.
5 minute job.
There's also a ground from the inside left of the engine bay to engine.

Since you say you've never done anything to the grounds, go for the quick n easy stuff before thinking about a new ecu, they rarely fail.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: