Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Pump Push Rod Removal
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevinklg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Fuel Pump Push Rod Removal Reply with quote

I have an early 1974 VW Type 2. The motor is a Type 4. The fuel pump is mounted by the Starter on the left side of the engine. I am replacing the existing fuel pump with an electric fuel pump.

My problem is this, I cannot remove the push rod that comes out of the engine housing an activates the pump. The pump is off and I have tried twisting, pulling and every other means to get rod out. I'm at a loss.

I have read and been told that this rod just pulls right out. Unfortunately this has not happened.

Can anyone please give some pointers on what to do. I desperately need to get this out so I can get the bus running again.

Thanks!

Last edited by Kevinklg on Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Push Rod Removal Reply with quote

Hum, the pump is mounted to the right front of the engine, while the alternator is to the right rear as the engine sits in the car.

I am going to guess that the end of the rod has mushroomed and thus can not be removed without splitting the case. I would just gut the pump and make it so that it can't leak oil and reinstall it.
Kevinklg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Push Rod Removal Reply with quote

Wildthings - Typo on my part, it's by the starter is what I meant to say.

I thought about rebuilding the pump, but I've been pulling and twisting on the push rod and it's all scarred up and I'm afraid it will not work once I get a pump re-installed.

Any thoughts on other ways to pull it out?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Push Rod Removal Reply with quote

Kevinklg wrote:
Wildthings - Typo on my part, it's by the starter is what I meant to say.

I thought about rebuilding the pump, but I've been pulling and twisting on the push rod and it's all scarred up and I'm afraid it will not work once I get a pump re-installed.

Any thoughts on other ways to pull it out?
Nope, I am guessing it just isn't possible short of splitting the case. If you don't like the idea of gutting the fuel pump to make a cover for the rod, then turn the crank so that the rod protrudes its maximum amount. Now measure how much the rod protrudes from the block. Make a spacer out of material at least this thick and then make a solid cover. Bolt things together and voila you are ready for the road.
Kevinklg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Push Rod Removal Reply with quote

I totally misunderstood your first post wildthings. so just leave the old pump there, but seal it up so it does absolutely nothing. Nice! That rod going in and out won't engage anything so it won't matter at all.

Thanks - great advice!
Kevinklg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Push Rod Removal Reply with quote

@Wildthings - one more question.

I have a cover plate for the fuel pump opening. Can I cut the rod off so that does not come out to the cover, then put the plate on? I think I can make it so it will not hit the cover plate.

Wondering if that will work.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Push Rod Removal Reply with quote

Kevinklg wrote:
@Wildthings - one more question.

I have a cover plate for the fuel pump opening. Can I cut the rod off so that does not come out to the cover, then put the plate on? I think I can make it so it will not hit the cover plate.

Wondering if that will work.

This pretty much what I have had for years on one of my engines. Assuming you can pull it out far enough and cut enough off so that it doesn't poke out when the inner end is on the high spot of the cam lobe. A Dremel with a cutoff wheel should work fine for cutting it off.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: