Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Bad smell after driving! Help
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bustedtype2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: 1973 Bad smell after driving! Help Reply with quote

I have a 1973 bay window bus that I just got done doing some normal maintenance.
New front pads
Repacked bearings
Bled and adjusted brakes
WD40 back brake mechanism “Not shoes”
Fixed exhaust leak with new gasket and high heat silicone between exhaust and header.
Added small amount of gear fluid to trans until it came out the side hole.

Took for a test drive and now it smells like burnt rubber. The farther I drive the worst the smell gets.

Stops fine
Brakes do not get hot, clutch dose not slip or chatter. No smoke or fire. It’s been about a week now. It dose not smell like burnt oil. What can this be??? Need help!
Thank you
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bad smell after driving! Help Reply with quote

You probably are smoking the silicone. May not have been fully set and can't handle exhaust temps no matter what. Oil and grease from you hands will get on to the exhaust pipes when you touch them and take a while to burn off as well.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bad smell after driving! Help Reply with quote

Double post, delete

Last edited by Wildthings on Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bad smell after driving! Help Reply with quote

put your hands palm open near the hubcaps but DO NOT TOUCH THEM to see if there is excessive heat coming off the brakes. You can instead use an R gun if you have one to check temps.

Do the same for the fronts
bustedtype2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bad smell after driving! Help Reply with quote

I checked the brakes and all still cool. Would high heat silicone smell like that? I have used it before and never had this problem. Is it possible for the gear oil I put in make it to the clutch and that’s what’s burning? Don’t think I put that much in but you never no.
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bad smell after driving! Help Reply with quote

Did you paint or introduce any cleaners to the insides of the heat exchagers

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
bustedtype2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bad smell after driving! Help Reply with quote

I may have got some silicone on them. I did paint the exhaust with high heat BBQ paint. But I have done that before without a smell.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bad smell after driving! Help Reply with quote

bustedtype2 wrote:
It dose not smell like burnt oil. What can this be??? Need help!
Thank you

hold your bus up to the computer. I can't smell it from here

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bad smell after driving! Help Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
bustedtype2 wrote:
It dose not smell like burnt oil. What can this be??? Need help!
Thank you

hold your bus up to the computer. I can't smell it from here

Wink Very Happy Evil or Very Mad Wink Very Happy Evil or Very Mad Wink Very Happy Evil or Very Mad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bad smell after driving! Help Reply with quote

bustedtype2 wrote:
I may have got some silicone on them. I did paint the exhaust with high heat BBQ paint. But I have done that before without a smell.

Question....what are you using WD-40 for? There ks actually nothing anywhere in the brakr syztem it has any use for....and it WILL attack EPDM rubber....which is what all brake seals, wheel cylinder boots and rubber parts are made of.
WD-40 is a solvant and water dispersant but has virtually no use as a lubricant long term and especially not in hot conditions.

But ..nasty as it smells when burning off....its not that nasty and should be gone quickly. I don think that is your problem. If you have a leaky wheel cylinder boot.....brakr fluid smells nasty when burning off.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bustedtype2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bad smell after driving! Help Reply with quote

Thank you Ray
I will check the wheel cylinders tomorrow. The emergency brake lever was rusty so I hit it with WD40 thanks for the instruction much appreciated. Question if a clutch was burning and smelling would it still do it’s job perfectly ?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bad smell after driving! Help Reply with quote

A clutch isn't going to get hot unless it is slipping either because you are using it to get going or because there is something wrong with the clutch adjustment or there is some kind of failure going on.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bad smell after driving! Help Reply with quote

Silicone burn off.

I’ve found computers in the new made on the new place quite smell, but the old factory ones smell just fine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: