Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 vw bug brake lights. VW GODS I NEED YOU
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chasepunx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: 1966 vw bug brake lights. VW GODS I NEED YOU Reply with quote

SO lets get into it. I own a 1966 bug that has been have some brake light problems. Both of them are out but the turn signals and running light both work. I replaced all my fuses and bulbs and even the bulb housing. I was doing some research and it seems like its my grounds. I check the M/C switch and that seems to be fine, so i took off my tail light and it looks like i have post 68 bug wiring i have 6 wires all different colors. even more strange a small flat piece of metal fell out when i took off my tail light for the first time. (I was wondering why it was in there but now i think i know why) So what i think is going on is my tail lights grounds are bad at the tail light and the brown wire (post 68 bug ground tail light wire color) was supposed to be rigged to that piece of metal that fell out of my housing. BUT NOW what ever i try to mount to to the metal to ground it properly nothing works and i am just very confused.. I'm going to attach a picture of the metal piece and wiring.. please give me any suggestions you have and PLEASE HELP ME SAMBA.. lol
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

66' Bug (current)
08' Bug (current)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chasepunx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 vw bug brake lights. VW GODS I NEED YOU Reply with quote

Also if this helps; it seems all wires but the blue one are getting voltage. Does this mean the blue is my ground? If so how should i rig it to ground properly?
66' Bug (current)
08' Bug (current)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwtrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 vw bug brake lights. VW GODS I NEED YOU Reply with quote

I think 66 was a three wire system to the tail lights. What were all the wires going to? I'd use an assistant and a multimeter to find what wire is what.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 vw bug brake lights. VW GODS I NEED YOU Reply with quote

The metal plate is a divider that fits into a slot in the plastic lens between upper and lower halves, it blocks the light and seprates the two bulbs.

As far as the wiring goes, you will simply have to get in there with the voltmeter and test which wire gets power when. Start with what you know works and use process of elimination to find out which wire should be stop light.
Keep in mind stock there is no ground wire, so with the bulb holder unbolted as you show in pic nothing is going to work right.

If the blue wire is meant to be a dedicated ground, then it would have to be connected to the bulb holder base in some way, and it's other end would have to be bolted to a solid ground inside the engine compartment somewhere.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 vw bug brake lights. VW GODS I NEED YOU Reply with quote

If they wired this like a 70, the Red wire should be brake light, gray wire is tail light, black wire is turn signal and brown wire goes to a ground in the engine bay on the shelf beside the motor (under the tar board).

The issue though is just brake lights. At the master cylinder, is there one brake switch or two? It appears someone rewired your car with a 1970 harness. Is there voltage standing by at one terminal with the car switched on? Once your assistant presses the brake pedal there should be voltage at the end of the black wire. Also at the other terminal on the switch. If it's missing on the output side of the switch then you've a bad switch. If it's missing from the end of the black wire then you've an open in the wire somewhere in between.

As far as the metal plate goes, that appears to be a divider, perhaps to divide turn signal from the rest of the light. Is there a slot for it to fit into in the lens?

And in a '70 the blue wire is reverse lights. You don't have those I'm assuming.

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 vw bug brake lights. VW GODS I NEED YOU Reply with quote

write down each wire color, then use a volt meter, negative probe to body ground, and positive probe one at a time to each wire. Have helper activate brakes, or if that dont work have helper short out wires at the brake switch , also have turn signals, back up , and tail lights turned on, one at a time, while volt testing each colored wire. write down which colored wire becomes energized with which switch being turned on.

then you will know for sure how to hook it all up, no guess work.

if turning on any of the switches fails to energize any of the wires, then look for faulty fuse, switch, connector, etc....

good luck. Bug strong, Bug bright!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
bdgtcollective
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 vw bug brake lights. VW GODS I NEED YOU Reply with quote

I had a similar issue when i purchased my bug. I went to harbor freight and bought a test light and went through process of elimination. This was more helpful for me with a lack of electrical knowledge and with the leads it comes with I could dedicate a solid ground to my bumper and figure out which wire did what and my ultimate grounding issue. Good luck! everyone here has offered helpful advice.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: