Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Side Mirrors - Anyone familiar?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goach2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Side Mirrors - Anyone familiar? Reply with quote

Has anyone come across mirrors like this before? I like them, but the screws through the door skin are coming loose, and there's only a small wire coming through the large threaded hole of the original mirrors...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Side Mirrors - Anyone familiar? Reply with quote

Well it is not a VW mirror, it is a 7" X 16" West Coast mirror with built in light, still available from many truck supply shops.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Side Mirrors - Anyone familiar? Reply with quote

It may look ok if properly installed,but it has no appeal for me.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Side Mirrors - Anyone familiar? Reply with quote

if you are going to retain it and need more secure fastening.
you are going to have to install Nutserts in the sheet metal of the door.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mike77777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Side Mirrors - Anyone familiar? Reply with quote

Used a pair from JC Whitney on Mine, stainless steel. No light. If there is only one wire, they ground thru the door metal. Jumper wire to the wire, with known good bulb could verify if they work or not. Nutserts are a good way to mount these. Mine took a while to get level, and work well for me. The originals were cloudy and the silver was crazed. More room for a convex spot if you like.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Side Mirrors - Anyone familiar? Reply with quote

Those are just truck mirrors. Not as was sold. You going to keep them? Why do you want to know who knows about them??

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Side Mirrors - Anyone familiar? Reply with quote

I have several trucks and vans with both this style mirror and the more common lower profile mirror(as was stock on our vans and almost every truck/van made in the last 30 years). These semi truck style mirrors shown in the OP's picture introduce a serious vision impairment (blind spot) on our lower traffic level vehicles. They work fine on Semi's, as your line of sight is way above traffic, but on my trucks with these, where my line of sight is level with all the other traffic, the extra line of sight blockage is significant. I would not add those type of mirrors to any of my other vehicles for this reason. YMMV.
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
Poptopcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Side Mirrors - Anyone familiar? Reply with quote

I Pull an 18 foot RV with a topper on my truck. I have stock big ass mirrors on my truck and I appreciate the rear visibility for backing up and changing lanes. I wish my VW Riviera camper bus had bigger mirrors. I have the rear and side curtains open, but those tiny mirrors leave a lot to be desired when it comes to safety. My Camaro has bigger mirrors. Thinking about going big..ger. Maybe not as big as yours though. Blind spots forward could be an issue.
I like safety over fashion. If I want to pass someone who's going slower than my 65 mph, I want to be able to see than Corvette coming up behind me doing 90 before I pull in the left lane to pass.😎
2020 VW Tiguan
2001 Harley Electraglide Classic
1986 BMW R 800cc motorcycle
2002 Chevy Camaro Z28
1999 Harley Sportster 1200 Custom
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: