Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TS1 roadside bypass options and resistance values?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: TS1 roadside bypass options and resistance values? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I was working on some FI issues the other day, and I pondered a hypothetical issue. What if the TS1 inside the AFM went out like TS2 senders sometimes do after a while?

Since it is a NTC (negative thermo-couple) just like the TS1, the warmer the sensor is going to show a lower resistance reading, in ohms. 2800 ohms at 68°f is spec, but has anyone measured the sensor on an extra hot or cold day? Has anybody disconnected the sensor and tried running their FI bus without it, or with it grounded? What were the effects?

Please discuss, and save the banter for my engine thread… Wink

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: TS1 roadside bypass options and resistance values? Reply with quote

The Vanagon Bentley has a chart showing the resistance at temperature for the TS1 sensor, IIRC the graph is identical to the one the Bentley shows for the TSII sensor. Ratwell.com has a graph for the TSII which shows a resistance of ~1000 ohms at 120°F. FWIWI don't think the TS1 is as critical to the operation of the vehicle as the TSII, but could be wrong.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: TS1 roadside bypass options and resistance values? Reply with quote

perhaps a clip in Potential-meter would allow a TS-II bypass.
a position for cold start and a setting for 'operating temperature'

here's a thread to read thru
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=248511
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: TS1 roadside bypass options and resistance values? Reply with quote

the TS1 reads incoming air temp. Early AFM did not have it. I think it was added when preheat was removed in 1976 1/2
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: TS1 roadside bypass options and resistance values? Reply with quote

I think we kind of went through this in other threads...but OK.

I made a TS-1 some years ago that is a variable resistor. Its mounted to a circuit board and is inside of an old type 4 headlight dimmer relay box. I was using it to see if I could tune away the seasonal hot to cold idle issues in D-Jet. It worked but was interesting.

TS-1.....just going off of memory here....in L-jet...affects fuel mixture in about a 5-10% total range. By total range.....I mean a spread of 5-10% which is a +/- 2.5 to 5%.

While a 5% total change is nothing to sneeze at.....I agree with SGkent that because of the way it functions it is less significant to engine running. This would be because unless you are dropping down the side of a mountain fast...or going from air that ranges from room temp to frigid going in and out of tunnels....the intake air temp is relatively stable.

However.....5% is 5%. Each engines state of fuel tune will affect this. The affect of all enrichment devices is cumulative. If your system is already running a few percent low or high in fuel mixture....due to either variation at TS-2, fuel pressure, main load setting at the AFM or vacuum leaks...having a +/- of 2.5% to 5% can make a difference in running.

While I dont think on an otherwise perfectly tuned engine the TS-2 makes a significant difference to RUNNING....it will make a difference in idle and cold starting. If your engine as mentioned is NOT perfectly tuned and you have other cumulative +/- fuel inputs and its really cold.....having the TS-1 be off can the difference in starting or not.

Other items that can be counted in that "perfectly" tuned collection can be ignition timing issues, low compression from an engine showing its age etc. So in my opinion.....and just based on the limited TS-1....and extensive TS-2 experiments I would say depending on your cumulative state of tune....a variable, dial in TS-1 could be useful.

The thing I have always liked and disliked about the "basic" L-Jet on the buses and 412's....is that while it is far simpler to run well than D-Jet, K-jet and the others there is not much actual fuel tuning you can do. You have idle and AFM air by-pass......and a really critical tweak you can do to the cog wheel (which is always a compromise because you cannot just adjust one narrow range of flap motion)......there ia not much else you can adjust.

But getting into tweakable TS-1 and 2.....you can affect a good 15% of fuel mixture at certain temp ranges. Also....an adjustable rising rate fuel pressure regulator can make a good amount of adjustment at certain points.....but the ones that I have tried in the past like those you find at Summit and Jegs....just do not seem to be in the perfect increments for us. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: TS1 roadside bypass options and resistance values? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

I was working on some FI issues the other day, and I pondered a hypothetical issue. What if the TS1 inside the AFM went out like TS2 senders sometimes do after a while?

Great topic. I would like to think that as it's subject to less extreme conditions as the TS2 (in terms of heat, humidity, etc) it's less prone to break down. But all electronic components age, drift and break down eventually.

I can't add to the questions asked in the thread, but I can comment on the subject line (roadside bypass), which seems to be a different topic Very Happy

asiab3 wrote:
Since it is a NTC (negative thermo-couple) just like the TS1

NTC is simply Negative Temperature Coefficient. The component itself is a thermistor, which varies its resistance value according to temperature. It's not a thermocouple, which produces a voltage. I think it was simply a typo, but I thought I'd simply mention it so other readers are not confused.

In terms of roadside repair, I guess if one can find a thermistor with a similar resistance vs. temperature curve, it wouldn't be too hard to replace a broken TS1.

It is housed on a plastic cap on the air input port of the AFM:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and its two white wires then are routed into the terminals of the AFM connector directly:

So if one wanted to replace or repair it, assuming that the right thermistor has been found:

1. Remove the AFM lid
2. Disconnect the TS1 wires from the AFM connector
3. Remove the original plastic cap (seems to be simply glued to the aluminum casing), the thermistor will probably follow
4. Carefully pull the TS1 and let the wires slide underneath the PCB (I don't think it can be done the other way round, as there is probably not enough clearance under the PCB for the TS1)
5. With the TS1 removed, cut off the wires close to the thermistor's terminals. You might be able to reuse the crimped wires on the new thermistor.
6. Solder new wires to the new thermistor, or reuse the old ones.
7. Choose your favourite method of stuffing the new thermistor into the plastic cap. Epoxy might work well, but you might want to watch out for it not sticking too hard inside the plastic cap, in case you need to remove it again.

I've fortunately not had to do this, so take this simply as a suggestion of how I would do it. In practice, it might not be as easy as that.

I hope it's useful!

Decode your M-Plate
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: TS1 roadside bypass options and resistance values? Reply with quote

Waiting for owners of '75 Bays to weight in here and tell us what running an engine without a TS1 sensor and a non working intake air preheat is like. From what I remember hearing it is no big deal. There is probably an optimum value for a resister to replace the TS1 sensor on the later FI setups, so maybe it would be advantageous for someone to do some experimenting. Since the TS1 essentially just plugs in and the resistance of the OEM TS1 sender is shown in available charts, this should be a pretty easy experiment to do and the out of pocket cost would be just a few bucks for a bag of miscellaneous resisters.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: TS1 roadside bypass options and resistance values? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Waiting for owners of '75 Bays to weight in here and tell us what running an engine without a TS1 sensor and a non working intake air preheat is like. From what I remember hearing it is no big deal.

That's been my experience as well. I've never owned a late '76 or up. My early '76 with the '75 FI system ran beautifully, but the San Diego weather was hottest at 80° and coldest EVER at 50° when I owned it. I never noticed a difference, and the bus was missing the thermostat, the flap, and the heated crossover pipe. Unlike my carb rig, I never had the FI bus above 6500' elevation either, though the FI did fine up there too. It had the dual snout air filter with extra hose, but it never picked up any warm air.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: TS1 roadside bypass options and resistance values? Reply with quote

Continuing the conversation regarding the TS1 units, does anyone have sources or information on locating a replacement unit?
It’s also come to my attention that we don’t necessarily know the specs for resistance of these units? Mentioned they are comparable to the TS2 sensors?

Attempting to diagnose (with much help from Robbie) a cold start issue on a 77 bus. The AFM has been rebuilt by FI Corp, looks good. 7 pin, late FI unit appropriate for the 77 year model.

The cold starting valve is working, resistance is good, cleaned within an ultrasonic cleaner. TS2 was replaced. Aux Air Sensor is within spec, good working order. There seems to be no present issue with the ignition system.
Fuel pressure 31 at idle, 39 with vacuum removed. Vacuum added back to regulator, pressure balances back out at 30ish psi.

Swapping out the rebuilt AFM with a known good stock AFM, the cold starting woes are eliminated. Considering the cost of the rebuilt units, I’m wanting to know if I can make it operate and function as intended, but am coming up with a lack of source for replacement TS1 units.

When one has their AFM rebuilt, do we know if FI Corp checks the resistance of the TS1, and if so, if found out of spec, where do they source replacements?

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: TS1 roadside bypass options and resistance values? Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:

When one has their AFM rebuilt, do we know if FI Corp checks the resistance of the TS1, and if so, if found out of spec, where do they source replacements?

When looking for a complete FI system for my 411 a decade and a half back I got to be the first to strip parts from an absolutely pristine Bay that had just arrived in the wrecking yard. The owner had given up spending money on it to get it to run right and had it hauled away. I grabbed the FI and a lot of other stuff and took it home.

Installing the FI I couldn't get the engine to run worth beans and went at trouble shooting it. The AFM had a dated sticker on it showing it had just been rebuilt so it was low on the list to look at, but eventually when everything else proved to be in order I popped the lid off and found another companies sticker inside. I also found that it was not rebuildable as it had been damaged in ways that kept it from being serviceable. Basically two different rebuilders had worked on this unit, the first kind of cobbing it together when they knew it couldn't be fixed correct that the second rebuilder had just cleaned the outsides without ever even prying off the cover and then reboxed it and sold it.

The action of these two companies had caused the abandonment of an absolutely pristine Bay to the wolves (like me) at a wrecking yard.

I took the resistance board out of the above mentioned unit and put it into another housing and made a myself a very nice AFM.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: TS1 roadside bypass options and resistance values? Reply with quote

We do know the approximate resistance of TS1 at 68* from the AFC training manual. Though I don’t recall a chart like it has for TS2, grab 2,800 ohms of resistance and stick it in line using the terminals that furgo posted. That will pretty much tell you right away if TS1 is the problem.

It should be 68* at your place this afternoon Wink
Robbie

Last edited by airschooled on Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: TS1 roadside bypass options and resistance values? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Waiting for owners of '75 Bays to weight in here and tell us what running an engine without a TS1 sensor and a non working intake air preheat is like. From what I remember hearing it is no big deal. There is probably an optimum value for a resister to replace the TS1 sensor on the later FI setups, so maybe it would be advantageous for someone to do some experimenting. Since the TS1 essentially just plugs in and the resistance of the OEM TS1 sender is shown in available charts, this should be a pretty easy experiment to do and the out of pocket cost would be just a few bucks for a bag of miscellaneous resisters.

^^^^This

Getting back to this years later....from looking at the previously posted picture...the TS-1 in a type 2 (or even late type 4-412 car)...is wired straight into the variable resistance carbon wiper strip....unless I am looking at this wrong?

If so...its just variable ballast.....which tells me that yes...you could use a manual variable adjustment potentiometer or a handful of resistors. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: TS1 roadside bypass options and resistance values? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
[...]the TS-1 in a type 2 (or even late type 4-412 car)...is wired straight into the variable resistance carbon wiper strip....unless I am looking at this wrong?

It is wired into terminal #6 of the variable resistance carbon wiper strip but bearing in mind that that terminal is ground too:

As such, I don't think the TS1 affects the output voltage of the wiper. The TS1 might be read by its own separate sensor input on the ECU side.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8793789#8793789

Decode your M-Plate
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: TS1 roadside bypass options and resistance values? Reply with quote

furgo wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
[...]the TS-1 in a type 2 (or even late type 4-412 car)...is wired straight into the variable resistance carbon wiper strip....unless I am looking at this wrong?

It is wired into terminal #6 of the variable resistance carbon wiper strip but bearing in mind that that terminal is ground too:

As such, I don't think the TS1 affects the output voltage of the wiper. The TS1 might be read by its own separate sensor input on the ECU side.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8793789#8793789

Yes #6 is just a common connection, I will take your word on it being a ground verses a positive.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: TS1 roadside bypass options and resistance values? Reply with quote

Yes....it will affect it. Carbon is inductive. If anything with resistance touches the carbon....is connected to....no matter which pole....it affects its response.

I have spent the last year workong on carbon inductive sensors for an automotive safety sensor company......and learned quite a bit. How it affects it and how much? Remains to be seen.....but if its connnected....its connected....and affects it. Ray
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: TS1 roadside bypass options and resistance values? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Yes....it will affect it. Carbon is inductive. If anything with resistance touches the carbon....is connected to....no matter which pole....it affects its response.

I have spent the last year workong on carbon inductive sensors for an automotive safety sensor company......and learned quite a bit. How it affects it and how much? Remains to be seen.....but if its connnected....its connected....and affects it. Ray

The TSI sensor is connected to the common #6 terminal at the plug on the AFM, the #6 terminal is common to the throttle switch as well if I am not mistaken. The wires for the TI sensor don't lay on the resistance strip but run off to the side a bit IIRC. At 5 volts operating voltage for the TSI sensor and a hot resistance of 500 ohms you get an amperage of 0.05 amp which should be steady so there should be nil induction from the TSI sensor. The amp flow through the rheostat shouldn't have very sharp pulses which would lead to much inductive current flow in any other component either, VW certainly didn't bother to use coax to contain it if it is there. Note that Digifant Vanagon AFM did have problems with current fluctuations from the rheostat which became known as Vanagon Syndrome. Additionally in at least some AFMs the two wires for the TSI are twisted together would have the effect of nullifying any inductive currents the wiring for the TSI receives from the rheostat.

In summary any inductive connection between the rheostat and the TSI sensor would have to be extremely minor.

Last edited by Wildthings on Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: TS1 roadside bypass options and resistance values? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Yes #6 is just a common connection, I will take your word on it being a ground verses a positive.

That is at least what I measured to be the ground for the AFM (0V), here too: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=690922. In any case, it's easy to double-check with a multimeter.

As per the comments on the carbon track being inductive, all resistors have parasitic inductance to some degree.

Since we don't know the circuit that senses the input, we can only guess. This is not an AC or high frequency circuit, so my own guess is that the inductance of the carbon track (or the TS1) is negligible here.

Decode your M-Plate
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: TS1 roadside bypass options and resistance values? Reply with quote

Just a note on any potential oscillation in the signal from the rheostat in the AFM. I independently came up with the idea of adding a 22uf capacitor between the rheostat signal lead and ground nearly thirty years ago to control Vanagon syndrome. Not only did it take care of the Vanagon syndrome, but it smoothed out the idle, so I did the mod on any other Digifant Vanagon I picked up even if it wasn't experiencing Vanagon syndrome. I also did the mod on the Digijet Vanagon I acquired as well, there too it smoothed out the idle.

I am not presently running a bus with L-jet, but if I did I would certainly try adding the 22uf capacitor to its AFM as well. Note to anyone who might try this, the sizing of the capacitor was determined by increasing the capacitors size until it caused a lag in the response of the AFM and then going back a step in size, this gave the 22uf size for the capacitor. If you try a 22uf capacitor in an L-jet system and it causes a lag, then go to a smaller capacitor. For people that have to get their rigs passed emissions adding the capacitor might well improve the emissions both at idle and across the board, YMMV.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: TS1 roadside bypass options and resistance values? Reply with quote

Still attempting to troubleshoot the circuit for the TS1. With the main wiring harness attached to the AFM (7-pin since we have a TS1 sensor), removing the harness from the ECU and testing for resistance on pin #27 to see what action we have taking place for this sensor.

Results are? Absolutely nothing.No resistance at the AFM connection nor pin #27 at the ECU end. Tested two different AFM units.

Issues being experienced? The bus from a cold start ONLY is taking 5/6 cranks and starts before the bus will hold an idle. With no resistance within the Pin #27 circuit, there isn’t anything going to nor from the TS1 sensor to the ECU.

This would lead one to believe that there is an issue within the wiring harness from the AFM to the ECU, though every other circuit reads resistance within spec.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: TS1 roadside bypass options and resistance values? Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Still attempting to troubleshoot the circuit for the TS1. With the main wiring harness attached to the AFM (7-pin since we have a TS1 sensor), removing the harness from the ECU and testing for resistance on pin #27 to see what action we have taking place for this sensor.

Results are? Absolutely nothing.No resistance at the AFM connection nor pin #27 at the ECU end. Tested two different AFM units.

Issues being experienced? The bus from a cold start ONLY is taking 5/6 cranks and starts before the bus will hold an idle. With no resistance within the Pin #27 circuit, there isn’t anything going to nor from the TS1 sensor to the ECU.

This would lead one to believe that there is an issue within the wiring harness from the AFM to the ECU, though every other circuit reads resistance within spec.

Just to verify, you mean no resistance like in zero ohms, or no resistance as the gauge is showing infinite resistance?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: