Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Tank Padding and inside treatment post hot tanking
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Fuel Tank Padding and inside treatment post hot tanking Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to hot tank two 1971 bus fuel tanks. Does anyone know a source for the strips of padding glued onto the outside in various locations as anti-chafing material?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also, Will the tank flash rust after the tanking? Should I somehow protect it by sloshing around something inside right away. One tank will be used in a bus right away, the other will be wrapped in plastic and put up for a rainy day. TIA.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Padding and inside treatment post hot tanking Reply with quote

Seems to me that Busdaddy and Skills said something about putting ATF on tanks after cleaning, but don't quote me. As for the felt like material, you could possibly get glue on felt strips from a hardware store like what the use on furniture bottoms to keep from ruining your hardwood floor. Beyond that I don't know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Padding and inside treatment post hot tanking Reply with quote

I could have sworn I saw the rectangular felt for underneath being sold new recently, though I can't remember where.

For under the straps, anything seems to work. VW even deleted them on later models.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5955854

I would use ATF for the slosh; it's a good corrosion inhibitor but also easily ingested by the engine.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scubaseas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Padding and inside treatment post hot tanking Reply with quote

Slosh coating with ATF works fine for storing tanks.

NAPA or LAPS should have A/C tape which is sticky butyl? and cork. About 1" wide, one side sticky, weather proof. Works great under the tank straps. Or rug under-layment or carpet would work OK too. Sound deadening pad material will work fine as does peel/stick roofing underlayment for ice dam barrier.

08/1970 T2a Westphalia owned since 1980

ASE Master certification. 50 years pushing a wrench
Retired
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Padding and inside treatment post hot tanking Reply with quote

Eh, here are the correct parts:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211201195
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211201555

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Padding and inside treatment post hot tanking Reply with quote

Thanks Roberto
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Padding and inside treatment post hot tanking Reply with quote

If you get the tank well drained the little bit of rust you get isn't going to hurt much.

Alternatively slosh some Muriatic acid around in there and then drain it out well and let dry. Follow with a slosh of Osphos and drain well. The excess Osphos can go back into the container for the next job.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Padding and inside treatment post hot tanking Reply with quote

gary

I do a ATF and gas mix. works fine, but I am unsure of long term storage. I can vouch that it works for a month (if kept indoors) as that is about as long as I have had a clean tank before it was put back into service.

I mix 1 quart of cheepie ATF to almost 1 quart of gas. coats everything nicely

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Padding and inside treatment post hot tanking Reply with quote

the guy who did mine and Colin's sloshed them with diesel. He then sealed the top and the bottom. The fuel outlets he slid surgical hose between the outlets to keep the fuel from dripping everywhere while stored.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Padding and inside treatment post hot tanking Reply with quote

I've got three quarts of mystery ATF on my shelf so I guess I know where that's going. Thanks guys.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Padding and inside treatment post hot tanking Reply with quote

I used felt door weatherstripping on mine. Worked perfectly.
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Padding and inside treatment post hot tanking Reply with quote

For the strips I used these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JJ8QKQ2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They very much match the feel and thickness of the original. [/url]
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Padding and inside treatment post hot tanking Reply with quote

Thanks surfbus,
I ordered some.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: