Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Securing baffles
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Securing baffles Reply with quote

Running a set of bazookas with baffles. The problem is the damn things keep coming out!! First attempt was using screws. Lost one within a few miles. Second attempt was trying pop rivets. One lasted 5-6 miles, the second one maybe 20-30 miles. Last one to come out still had the ball side of the pin still attached on both rivets. Heads were sheered clear off. Short of getting them tack welded into place what are my options? Non-aluminum rivets? Nuts and bolts? JB Weld?
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Securing baffles Reply with quote

Get rid of them, get 4 into 1 exhaust and get bonus by a gain of some horse power.... Other option may be 1/4-20 bolt all the way through and use locking nut...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Securing baffles Reply with quote

Wondered how many posts before I got that one. Thanks for not letting me down. Had a 4-1 and didn’t like it. Let’s leave it at that and keep on topic.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Securing baffles Reply with quote

Keep them. I don't care what the haters say about dual cannons. I think they are the coolest looking exhaust there is for a Dunebuggy. Yes you will give up some performance but your engine will still run. They are fine for smaller engines up to around 90 HP, then they become too small. I ran duals for many years on my 1756cc and enjoyed them. Thousands of street miles and hundreds of 1/4 mile passes.

I ended up welding mine in after the duals started showing a little rust around the edged. If I were to try it again I think I would use about 3 stainless steel button head machine screws with nuts, or try to find some stainless steel rivets.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Securing baffles Reply with quote

What’s sad is I really like them without the baffles, but it gets a bit loud with the wife in the buggy. I found some SS rivets online so may try that. So far two baffles got toasted as someone ran over them. The last came out and I was able to grab it before it got run over and should be able to straighten it out.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Securing baffles Reply with quote

Through bolt them all the way with metal lock nuts? Or stainless steel rivets, extra long?

My dad ran dual cannons only on our buggy in the '70's, the look is cool and are about the same as the original Thing mufflers that tuck under and come out the bumper. I don't care for the sound while driving...
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Securing baffles Reply with quote

I missed the parts where I asked anyone's opinion whether they liked them or not...

Seriously guys, while I appreciate the info on how to better secure these, it's really unnecessary to add the quips about how you lose HP or don't like the sound. I bought them, I like them, I just need to secure the baffles better to make the wife happy.

Thanks again for the suggestions, think I have my answers.
bigfatloser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Securing baffles Reply with quote

Every post has had a suggestion.....

Pick up a copy of "How to win friends & influence people ?
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Securing baffles Reply with quote

bigfatloser wrote:
Every post has had a suggestion.....

Pick up a copy of "How to win friends & influence people ?

Feel better? Based on the PMs that I got, I'm not the only one that gets beleaguered by the constant badgering regarding opinions around here. Sometimes we just want ideas, not suggestions on our choices or products. Hang around more often and you'll see what I mean. I do appreciate the ideas, just would prefer them sometimes without the hate on certain products.
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Securing baffles Reply with quote

I don't think a rivet would last - unless it was solid SS (or steel) and peened over aircraft style.
A SS allen-pan head with steel deformed-style locking nut would probably work (and look) the best. With a couple of small OD SS washers to finish it off. The vibration will likely kill anything after a while - keep an eye on them.

I'm in the "quieter" exhaust camp too - I like some sound, but any kind of tight exhaust system as on the back of a buggy will tend to be easier to make louder vs. quieter.

I've never heard one, but I'm guessing the adapted Suzuki Hayabusa cans in place of the standard bazookas would give a nice note. Cool
monomanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Securing baffles Reply with quote

I changed out my VW engine for a 140 HP corvair engine earlier this year. Headers are limited for these engines. I ended up purchasing some Clarks corvairs Dual cannon/trumpets as well as their baffles.

They recommended using 1/4-20 bolts through the entire set up to hold the baffles in. I could not bring myself to do that. I opted instead for SS pop rivets. One per side at the 5 or 7 position.

So far I have about 5000 miles on the engine with no visible or mechanical issues with the pop rivet. That is NOT to say that it could become an issue.

Re the Hyabusa exhaust, my buddy also has a corvair engine. He has some aftermarket mufflers (some motorcycle type) mounted to his duals. They sound much deeper and throaty.

See the images attached. You cannot see the baffles but you can see the diameter of the muffler portion.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Securing baffles Reply with quote

I too have used the Stainless Steel Rivets. I use three per side. Have lasted 10 years so far.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Securing baffles Reply with quote

Thank you guys. I’ll pick up a pack of SS rivets. Currently have two holes per side but may step up to 4/side. I had thought about a through bolt or what but that’s a damn big hole. As it is I cringed drilling the existing holes on a fresh out of the box set of pipes.

Went for a drive yesterday without the baffles and seriously I really like the sound. I’m not an attention whore, but a bright red buggy with loud pipes gurgling was pretty fun I must say. Watched 2-3 guys roll down their windows as they approached with big grins on their faces. Good times.

Any more pics of the grey buggy Joe? You seriously seem to have some nice ones. I’m thinking about satin grey or black plasti dip at some point when I cut the hood open until I can work up the courage or money for real paint.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Securing baffles Reply with quote

With fasteners...Size matters. When we ran dual canons on the buggy, Just used sheet metal screws. Don't remember the size, but obviously what you are using is too small and/or not enough of them. I think I used three screws per side.

And totally agree that dual canons look the best. If you don't mind the power loss, then have fun. After playing with a couple different ones (performance/looks trade offs) I opted for a 1 3/8" U bend and a Super trapp....

Baffles themselves where part of my issue with the canons. I used glass wrapped, but the packing would blow out after a few months. Started just buying glass mats from a motorcycle shop.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Securing baffles Reply with quote

My Buggy came with dual cannons and I truly do miss the "pair of badly tuned Harley Davidson" sound and the authentic looks. I do not miss the volume though on the highway as it becomes totally unbearable on long trips. Your wife is right in that the cannons as they come are only tolerable for shots blasts around town, then let your ear drums have a rest and stop bleeding! Shocked

I am presently looking for a way to put those mufflers back up there beside the tires where they belong and still retain the advantages if a 4 into 1 system. Maybe go forward with the pipes, flat collector under the transaxle and split with duals back in the wheel wells?

I hate the looks if the "bag of snakes" Baja systems most guys use and can't imagine trying to reach around those hot pipes to work on the engine!
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Securing baffles Reply with quote

S&S used to make a nice system that was IIRC 4-1 system but instead of sticking up square in the middle of the back of the engine where you burn the shit out of yourself trying to set the timing or adjust anything, the pipes curled towards the front of the buggy and then curved back towards the back like Bazookas. They were the rage in the late 80's (at least in the magazines) You saw them mostly on full bodied cars, but I would love a set on the buggy. Unfortunately, they no long make them and I don't feel like spending what I'm guessing would be a grand or more having them custom made and ceramic coated.

Either way, not the point of this thread. I'm trying the SS rivets and maybe drilling two more holes on each pipe so that there are 4 holding each baffle IF I put them back in. They may magically end up discontinued....
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Securing baffles Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:

Any more pics of the grey buggy Joe? You seriously seem to have some nice ones. I’m thinking about satin grey or black plasti dip at some point when I cut the hood open until I can work up the courage or money for real paint.

Thank you for the kind words. That is the first "modern era" buggy I built. I built one way back while in college, but never did complete it.

The fellow who bought this Silver Sand Shark, still has it. I learned a lot about fiberglass work on it. It had a lot of hacking by previous owners.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Securing baffles Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

Thank you for the kind words. That is the first "modern era" buggy I built. I built one way back while in college, but never did complete it.

The fellow who bought this Silver Sand Shark, still has it. I learned a lot about fiberglass work on it. It had a lot of hacking by previous owners.

That's pretty badass. Ill probably steal some ideas for sure...
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Securing baffles Reply with quote

Stainless steel pop rivets are incredibly strong and should hold the baffles in as others have stated. They are, however, somewhat difficult to properly install with the typical pop rivet gun. If you don't have a professional type tool, or better yet a pneumatic riveter, see if you can get your hands on one. If you think your tool may be up to the task, do a few tests on scrap material of similar thickness to be sure. If you get one only partially popped before the "nail" breaks off, it can be hard to remove without enlarging the holes and ruining the part. The nice thing about the rivets is they will me much less noticeable vs. bolts or sheet metal screws.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Securing baffles Reply with quote

Good info, thanks. I found a heavier duty rivet tool, so may grab that. I have some other projects that SS rivets would work well for now that I know they exist. lol.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: