Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

356 into 912
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: 356 into 912 Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
I am considering buying a 65 euro 912 that is missing its motor. I thought about pulling my engine out of my 55 pre A and installing it and drive the car home. I have all the 912 tin. Anyone have any idea what I need to do to pull this off?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 into 912 Reply with quote

I think that you will be fine with the engine installed into the 912 since you have all of the sheet metal, but please remember that you will have the tach drive hanging off the rear cover and of course the 356 is six volt generator so you will have to change that generator and use the 912 voltage regulator.
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 into 912 Reply with quote

With the original 356 engine, I don't think there is a way to connect to the rearmost motor mount. It will be missing the 4 bolts on the 3rd piece of the engine. Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thesatanicmechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 into 912 Reply with quote

The clutches and flywheels are not compatible between the 2 engines to begin with.

Otherwise, I wouldn't jeopardize an authentic pre-A as a powerplant to simply move a car around. Think you'd be better suited with a single carb type 1 motor. trim the engine sheet metal to fit the hole where tight, don't worry about the gaps where it isn't.

Type 4 upright swap candidate when you get it home? Would love to see some pictures!
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 into 912 Reply with quote

Tom_Kathleen wrote:
With the original 356 engine, I don't think there is a way to connect to the rearmost motor mount. It will be missing the 4 bolts on the 3rd piece of the engine. Tom

X2. Pre A is 1500 I believe otherwise all you would need to do is find a 912 3rd case piece and swap with a 1600 356 pre 912. Just have it transported home as any swap of any motor other than a 912 will take a few days not a few hours.
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 into 912 Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback here folks! When I woke up today the tach cable came into mind. My engine is a 546/2 I believe. I have a small diameter 12v generator. I have a header type exhaust. Figured to use a 6volt starter with my clutch set up. But reading here, no threaded inserts in my front cover is the deal breaker! Damn. I do have a vw 1600dp that is new and a 2180cc engine I built as well. I guess I will have it towed home an adapt the 1600 in until I can source a 912 motor. Now with that being said,(thought makes me cringe!) any tips on what’s needed is appreciated.
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 into 912 Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback here folks! When I woke up today the tach cable came into mind. My engine is a 546/2 I believe. I have a small diameter 12v generator. I have a header type exhaust. Figured to use a 6volt starter with my clutch set up. But reading here, no threaded inserts in my front cover is the deal breaker! Damn. I do have a vw 1600dp that is new and a 2180cc engine I built as well. I guess I will have it towed home an adapt the 1600 in until I can source a 912 motor. Now with that being said,(thought makes me cringe!) any tips on what’s needed is appreciated.
HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 into 912 Reply with quote

My buddy has a 912 with a type 4 motor. He is very happy with the combo.

Are you in the Portland Area? If so, he regularly brings the 912 to the Cars and Coffee at the Wilsonville World of Speed.
jt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 into 912 Reply with quote

What part of Oregon?
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: 356 into 912 Reply with quote

Hopefully the 912 has the rear cross member and rubber motor mounts so you can make an adaptor for the VW to mount to it (the eng. & trans are supported as a unit unlike the VW which mounts to a trans that is supported at the frame). The type 1 bus motor for the early bays have threaded inserts for rear mount as well as the new "universal" cases. You will have to check your type 1s and see if you got lucky. They used to make an adaptor that mounted to the oil pump studs (longer studs needed) to use a non bus motor in a bus. You will have to lengthen the throttle cable as the 912 hooks to linkage in front of the fan shroud. The motor tin that seals off the outside air from the engine compartment is nowhere big e`nuff for the Porsche and you will have to fab that as well as lengthen the exhaust pipe.
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 into 912 Reply with quote

It comes with all the tin and has the hanger and mounts etc. Both the VW motors are built off of Thing AM cases. This case can be installed in early bay windows as it is a universal case. My guess it it will work, I read something about a adapter of some sorts. Do you happen to know and have a pic of this? I welcome anyone that has done this conversion- install to chime in. Looking for a 912 motor.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 356 into 912 Reply with quote

I have never done a swap (I have put a 912 in a 78 SB Conv.) but you bolt motor & trans together on the ground then raise them as a unit into place. Place bolts loosely into front mounts and line up motor and with rear support/mount in place you will be able to measure up for an adaptor. Motor piece will have a 'U' cutout to clear crank pulley and the plate will bolt to the 4 holes (I use a piece of thin cardboard to make a templet when making adaptors). Then you will need 2 'U' pieces to span the gap to rear mount or 2 'L' pieces if you weld the pieces to engine plate). That will get it in place then you can adapt the heater, throttle, exhaust, and engine compartment tin (I would not cut any Porsche tin as it is rare and hard to find) and cut the VW tin to fit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: