Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

THE DARK SIDE
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

Halp! I've entered the VORTEX of the DARK SIDE by which I mean I got snared by....

...a Corvair. You all know what they look like so why post photos, but a 19 and 60 2-door 700-series coupe was dragged here yesterday thus plunging the backyard into THE DARK SIDE where certain things are familiar but many things are WEIRD and SCARY and occasionally ALL CAPS are employed so sorry about all the YELLING.

These things are kind of neat. I've never in my natural-born life ever examined one closely nor spent any time researching their weird-o development history nor the conditions and personnel at Chevrolet in the mid-50s that led to these semi-crackpot vehicles being unleashed upon the buying and driving public. Did you know that back in the day Chevrolet drove three of these things from Chicago to...Panama? And that they dragged the poor dears through the Darien Gap? I sure didn't. Hubris! Madness on a Heart Of Darkness level.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Okay, here is a photo, not of my new headache but an analogue of the vehicle, same color and trim level but mine is the three-hundred-fifty dollar version. I will need to patch in some floorpan rust and God knows what the condition of the motor is- it turns, that's all- and the vehicle has been parked since 1973. Texas car. Looks like three goats from Texas ate half the interior so there's that also.

Plans? Triage, followed by debriding- first tools employed will be shovel and Shop-Vac- then yank the motor/transaxle unit and see whut's whut. Leave the exterior alone- it has great patina, yo- and of course it will be lowered 'cause that's how we roll, below the radar, plus lowering evidently helps mitigate the vehicle's, uh, handling vagaries. It will be a resolutely bucks-down effort given the fact these cars really are not that terribly valuable unless they're special like the Spyder or the Lakewood wagon or Rampside pickup or a Yenko Stinger and like that. Which is cool- talk about the anti-Bus!

Anyway, DARK SIDE. Ha! Whadda maroon. This'll be fun.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

In the late 70's I had a 67 vert while most friends were rolling beetles. The electric top was magnificent. The rod nut lost into the engine case not so much.
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Ow! My lungs! Reply with quote

Ah! So I'm not alone.
Think I'm giving birth to a bouncing baby upper-respiratory infection from shoveling out stylish yet virulent interior debris today. Choff.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

The front trunks are HUGE!!!!!

The fan belt bendy thing always concerned me.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

This trunk remains to be explored- no key.
What's in there, I wonder? Jimmy Hoffa? DB Cooper and all his loot? Manson Family victims? I can't wait to find out! I like mysteries.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

&Dan wrote:
This trunk remains to be explored- no key.
What's in there, I wonder? Jimmy Hoffa? DB Cooper and all his loot? Manson Family victims? I can't wait to find out! I like mysteries.

Ahh, the good old days of looking for Manson bodies in the trunk. It just Tate what it used to be...

Hey, it's not my thread titled, 'The Dark Side.' Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

I like it!, sporty(ish) modern European styling with a space age twist, and aircooled to boot!, and roomier and more power than a VW, what's not to like? Cool

Looks like a fun project, and from the sounds of it there's little you can do to diminish it's value to another "enthusiast" if you decide to punch out, at worst you'll learn a lesson or two in the process. Keep us posted!, I've looked at a few myself and never felt any hate for them.

The belt doesn't scare me, I've run a mower with a similar 90 degree turn in the wheel drive for almost 30 years and if you stay out of the pokey bushes and align them correctly they work as well as a straight belt.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

hitest wrote:

Ahh, the good old days of looking for Manson bodies in the trunk. It just Tate what it used to be...

Hey, it's not my thread titled, 'The Dark Side.'

Ha! It's funny 'cause it's true.

Yes, I agree, this thing even in its dumpy present state has really nice lines, pleasant and clean, positively astringent compared to what else was out there at the time and its construction is simple and pretty stiff, honestly- they do handle; I'm looking for all kinds of tightwad means to that end. I've heard it said it's the Poor Man's Porsche, and I think that is only half-baloney to tell you the truth. Plus I'm poor, so I should be a good judge.

Also, it was deep into the '60 model's run Chevy solved the belt-whipping problem with deeper Vs on the pulleys, ergo, little worry there. Of course, I'll have to get the thing running to verify that.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

Oh, I'm well versed in Corvair.
Coming of age in the 60's and 70's

I went VW air cooled....

My brother went Corvair air cooled, a large selection of older body styles, newer "improved" body stye, convertibles and Vans....

My uncle went VW with Corvair engines.

And then along came Ralph Nader........
He is the one that should have been stuffed in a Corvairs trunk!

Have fun!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

My very first car was a 1963 Corvair convertible...red with a black top...this was in 1973-74 time frame...used it as a field car back in the day...

Very cool cars with a cult following...there are a couple of really active websites too...

http://corvaircenter.com/

https://www.corvairforum.com/forum/

They can be built up to be pretty stout little hot rods...

welcome to the dark side...

MikeC
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

There is a great air-cooled only show here in MA every summer at a chocolatier that has a strong Corvair showing. I never even knew they made a Corvan until I went there one year.
Very cool cars.
I hope you keep up on this thread and show off your progress...I think we all love a good car resurrection story, no matter what kind! Wink

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Oh, I'm well versed in Corvair.
Coming of age in the 60's and 70's

I went VW air cooled....

My brother went Corvair air cooled, a large selection of older body styles, newer "improved" body stye, convertibles and Vans....

My uncle went VW with Corvair engines.

And then along came Ralph Nader........
He is the one that should have been stuffed in a Corvairs trunk!

Have fun!

Dave

That seems to be the common knee jerk reaction to Mr. Nader but having read his book just last week I'd have to disagree. To summarize only the first 41 pages of the book that comes in just under 350 pages deals with the Corvair.

The rest deals with such items as anti lock brakes,airbags,collapsible steering columns, smog and the beginnings of California Air Resources Board and more, seat belts, safety glass and myriad other things people take for granted. I'd recommend it just to get a feel for where the industry was in the 1960s.

As a boy my family owned two Corvairs a 1960 which rusted into dust by 1967. Dad bought a low mileage 63 Monza 500, more sporty bucket seats 4 on the floor. A blast to drive,quick off the line burns rubber in 1st and 2nd gear.
Over revving the engine caused V belt to jump off every time. Had problems keeping carbs synchronized. He did have one episode of the well known over steer problem but he was also drinking so I'm not gonna blame the car. You had to know Covairs limitations. The original EMPI made a camber compensator
To help stabilize things, probably could still find one. Good luck it's a fun car and parts are still available.

&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Fixin' to do something dumber'n Hell, but I'm doing it anyway Reply with quote

Good stuff, you guys. Thank you. Very encouraging. I'd admire to read as much personal history of Corvairs as I can. Please keep them coming, it's interesting and very helpful.

Consider this a build thread, not that I am 'building' anything, but you know what I mean. To that end I need to find a decent photo-hosting site that will not run off with the images and refuse to do their job, like Photobucket, the lousy bums. Suggestions? Who sucks least?

I joined the Corvair Forum and was pleasantly surprised they are not the terrifying and misshapen mutants I assumed, championing a wacko automotive cul-de-sac but are wise and thoughtful and resourceful: proof of my auto-myopia. There is a healthy debate as to the virtues of the early models vs. late, EM vs. LM. Not that VW folks stake out similar terrain, yes?

One thing I found right off the bat is the '60 model, first year of production, shares something less than a lot with subsequent model years, cf. one cannot simply bolt up '61 to '65 stuff with ease to a '60. The '60 therefore is nearly sui generis, meaning I chose the most difficult year to fix up. Or it chose me.
By the way, you know what the Corvair cognoscenti call the '60 model? The Caveman. Ha. Evidently it has to do with the '60's concave face, or something.

All that aside, I'm looking forward to the moment when the vehicle gives a sign of 'Dear God, finally someone gives a shit and maybe I will run under my own power once again', that window we all get to look in that shows us the soul of the machine we are working on. I like that part of the job a lot. It may be my favorite part, in fact.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

Looks like a nice place, foiled again. Very Happy
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Looks like a nice place, foiled again. Very Happy

Hey! I resemble that remark...!

News Flash: Trunk open, no loot or Manson Family victims, just an optional gas heater, a spare wheel w/Monkey Ward tire, the stock jack and lugwrench, a flyer for White Sands National Monument dated '73, and ominously some printed material from U-Haul. Wonder if something went wrong on that trip and it was towed back to Texas? Hmmmmmmm. I'll include that in possible narratives.

-Mr. Again
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

But, but but... where are Paco and the Glamour Puss?
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
But, but but... where are Paco and the Glamour Puss?

Funny you should ask! They are in the garage, smugly pointing and laughing at the new grubby little twerp, saying in Old Car Voice, "Do you believe this shit? Does that shrimpy geebo think it can hang out with us? I do not think so".
Paco then added, "Pinche pendejo."

Cars can be so mean.
It's a hard world for little things.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

if you haven't heard of these guys you'll get really acquainted.. they're in Mass..
on Rt2
http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/main
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

Thank you- I'm approximately 110% certain to get well acquainted with Clark's throughout this process.
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Tiny Bubbles Reply with quote

All reet! Want to see some pictures? Too late, here they are. Please excuse the lousy fisheye quality, but they are from a cheeseball knockoff GoPro which is all that is currently working in &DanLand.

This is the bad/denty side. I suspect it got wiped against a gas station pylon.

The engine room. It's all there, and the very thick coat of studge underneath suggests the unit has never been removed.
The '60 model had the battery on the right side, with rust-holes virtually guaran-damn-teed.

Seats, trim and all else heave-hoed. Seats are rebuildable; I intend to make up a set with the stock color vinyl but with the cloth section replaced by saddle blanket material for that donkey feel and look. Note the many rust holes.

The rear seat area, debrided and broom-clean. All the floorage back here is intact and stout, it's only the footwells that are compromised but they are flat so relatively easy to repair.

The Big Dent. Think I can just barely get a dolly inside this panel and work it out. Note the project managers.

Driver's side. Pretty clean, one little ding. All chrome is there, I removed the frontmost strip for repair. All body panels are unrusticated, just the surface variety.

A homemade hairpin-type roach clip I found within, for maximum 70s doobage. Belonged to Phineas, Fat Freddy or Freewheelin' Frank by the look of things. My guess is the vehicle served as a get-away-from-the-family-and-wife lair while it was sitting idle a portion of the last 44 years, given this artifact and the number of paper Coors cups I found under the seat.

Aaaaand my Spirit Guide for this misadventure. No, it will not be that low, but I'm sure you will agree no one, and I mean no one, will ever be as magnificently cool as this individual here. We all bask in his reflected glory and straight-up Badassery. Note the pack of Kool Filter Kings to show the low-osity.

That's where I'm at, friends. Going to get after them ol' floors with the mean cup-type wire brush in the angle grinder then start cutting, fabbing and welding. Thanks for watching!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: