Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

THE DARK SIDE
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

Look at all that room in the engine bay! Damn, I think you could stuff a suby in there Wink
Looks like a pretty clean car, congrats, Paco and the Glamour Puss wish they could get Kool Filter King low!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tiny Bubbles Reply with quote

&Dan wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am diggin' the slightly twisted fish-eye-ness of the funky not-quite-a-go-pro.

Very cool little car. Nice project.
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

mikec4193 wrote:
My very first car was a 1963 Corvair convertible...red with a black top...this was in 1973-74 time frame...used it as a field car back in the day...

Mike, by 'field car' do you mean like in this exchange from American Graffiti?

"John Milner: Yeah, well I'm not surprised, drivin' a field car!

Bob Falfa: Field car? What's a field car?

John Milner: A field car runs through the fields, droppin' cow shit all over the place to make the lettuce grow."

quote source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069704/quotes/qt0467821
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: THE DORK SIDE Reply with quote

Maybe the camera is fine and not-astigmatic, and THE DARK SIDE is WARPING REALITY.

Hey! Somewhat related to the practice of decorating one's yard with all manner of not-running machines, are any of you folks hep to Cold War Motors, a YouTube channel/dealybobber wherein a thoroughly wry, amusing and talented Canuck outside Edmonton and his chortling Canuck pals revivify old beat-up sedans for very little other than the sheer joy of doing so? If not, get on the team for the Big Win.
For example, here is Ep 1 of a long series on making a disheveled '49 Frazer a daily driver:

Link

Whenever I get down in the dumps thanks to life's setbacks, a little time with these goofs straightens everything out. Highly recommended.

Today, Small Green Weirdo gets a bit of a break while I go to town for hacksaw blades for the Sawzall, more argon, and more acetone for the all-conquering ATF/acetone wonder juice.
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

A guy a couple neighbour hoods away from us had corvair race cars in his driveway. I don't know what class they were, they were pretty much srtipped of all the nice stuff and most of the interior but were still road legal. His buddies used to drive their similar cars, hard tops, convertibles and station wagons, up to hang out or go drive around--they are pretty cool little cars! It wasn't unusual to see a smashed up fender on one then later see that it was all pulled out good enuff to go again.
I was kind of surprised when I started to talk to one of the buddies that they knew nothing at all about air cooled VWs----I think A/C VW people are far more curious than some 'regular' old car owners lol.
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

Patty B. wrote:
I think A/C VW people are far more curious than some 'regular' old car owners lol.

Oh, we're curious all right, hey?

Time to get this thing on the hump!

Started with the driver's 'floor'. I'm going one at a time to keep some semblance of order. Cut away the bad news parts and and chiseled away the material from the existing floor supports/frame spars which were in decent shape.

Kinda hard to make out what's what here, but floor gone and that's some cardboard on the ground beneath the vehicle.

I should take a moment to point out one great thing about Corvairs- the control cables, throttle linkage, fuel line and such that run through the tunnel on VWs and are accessible with can openers and Dynamite are easy to get to thanks to a couple access panels below and one above. Everything just hangs out waiting to be easily fixed. Also, no throttle cable but instead aluminum tubing with a bellcrank. Kinda neat.

The new floor panel fitted, holes drilled to plug-weld to the floor supports and the surrounding decent floor metal. Maytag, nice and thick from an old machine. NEVER THROW AWAY ANYTHING- that is my motto. This is approximately a 1 1/2 washing-machine floor repair. A coupla sheetmetal screws to hold 'er in place and to suck the sheet down to the floor supports which are later removed and welded up.

I considered rolling a few beads in it but honestly there is only a small unsupported portion and with so many nice hammer dents it's pretty doggone stiff anyway.

Weld, hammer, weld, hammer, make everything fit, you know the drill. Man, I am not a very talented welder, like, AT ALL.
It's far from pretty but it's solid and sound. One down, three to go. The weather is about to take a turn for the crappy for the better part of this week so I'll not be cutting/beating/welding in favor of rebuilding the carburetors.

One-Eyeless In Gaza. Had to gouge out one of its peepers to get into the trunk. I believe I will 86 the front Chevy doo-dad- it makes the vehicle look like it has a small self-satisfied smirk and I can't have that, so will probably weld up those holes.

That is all for now.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

There is a BIG corvair community on the web. Have a customer with a nice bug AND a nice Corvair. If I had any self restraint, I would buy one myself. Just a later (65-69) 2 door sedan with one of the hotter engines.... I ogle over them at car shows and LOVE the lines. Problem is that I know how I am. Would end up having to buy or build yet another garage to store God only knows how many I would end up with...... Laughing
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

Know thyself, yes? Yeah, only I can't afford more than just this one, which was almost free, so hey. They are not terribly hard to work on so the temptation to accumulate them must be terrifically hard to resist. Working on it really is like working on half late-'50s Biscayne and half Beetle, a Detroit Volkswagen.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: THE DORK SIDE Reply with quote

&Dan wrote:
wherein a thoroughly wry, amusing and talented Canuck outside Edmonton and his chortling Canuck pals revivify old beat-up sedans for very little other than the sheer joy of doing so

Five episodes deep in an evening of binge watching the talented canucks put together a 48 Frazer. Laughing my ass off.

"We don't have all goddam day for dust caps!"

and my favorite "a gold medal performance in the Waste Of Time Olympics"

HAHAHAHA!

This is some good shit. Thanks for the link.
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: THE DORK SIDE Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

"We don't have all goddam day for dust caps!"

and my favorite "a gold medal performance in the Waste Of Time Olympics"

HAHAHAHA!

This is some good shit. Thanks for the link.

I knew you'd dig it.

I cannot get enough of Cold War Motors- Scott pretty much embodies the why and the how of what gets me out of bed in the morning and out to the garage or backyard. And that you don't need a metric tonne of money, just talent, determination and a good sense of humor. And Stella, too, evidently.
Check also his Five Dollar Roadster build- a real build- as it is astonishing.
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

I have been wanting a Corvair for years, but just have not been able to pull the trigger yet. I know where I can get a field full of them for probably free, but not one is good enough to ever see the road again... Looking forward to seeing how your project progresses... Also that Cold War Motors series is great!
1964 Ghia, ongoing project 2007-
1962 Beetle Beryl,original paint survivor 2012-
1970 Savannah Beige Beetle 2012-
1992 16v GTI, 100% stock 2006-
1991 "Terseo", wife's old daily 1995-
1969 Chevrolet CST/10 (family owned since new)
1965 Gold Corvair Monza 2021-
1966 and 1965 Monza 2022-
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: More and more and more and more and more Reply with quote

Judging from your sig line, you should be fine with a field of Corvairs. Get after it!
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: The Big Bend of Minnesota Reply with quote

Ay yay yay....it got cold last night.

One Rochester Model H carb rebuilt- they are so Solex28PICT-y it's not even funny. Very, very simple, you could rebuild one with your butt. Neither appeared to have even seen unleaded gasoline let alone ethanol, which is joyful.

I'm staying inside rest o' the day.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

You officially have ten times more snow that we do here in the Great Brown North.
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

I hereby gladly bestow upon you every last got-damn flake of this stuff and its accompanying low temperature. It's all yours.
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

My neighbor had 3 Corvairs when I was growing up. Huge puddles of oil underneath them. I think he had 3 just to keep 1 going...
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

Last two months running Hemming’s has had something about Corvair. Good info hope this helps you. It’s February and March issues Very Happy

Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

&Dan wrote:

The new floor panel fitted, holes drilled to plug-weld to the floor supports and the surrounding decent floor metal. Maytag, nice and thick from an old machine. NEVER THROW AWAY ANYTHING- that is my motto. This is approximately a 1 1/2 washing-machine floor repair. A coupla sheetmetal screws to hold 'er in place and to suck the sheet down to the floor supports which are later removed and welded up.

Wait, Maytag sheetmetal in the floor? You are my hero. Laughing
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

I saw this fun Chevy promo short on TMC --The Corvair in Action--
https://archive.org/details/Corvairi1960
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

Patty B. wrote:
I saw this fun Chevy promo short on TMC --The Corvair in Action--
https://archive.org/details/Corvairi1960

I grabbed that on TIVO a few months ago, great little video! I love how they show it crossing the creek. No lawyers back then telling you to not try this at home (or you void your warranty!) I'm surprised they show it rolling.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: