Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

THE DARK SIDE
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Tiny Bubbles Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I always thought of these cars as "Moon Buggies"
My Dad had a '61(?) 4 door flat-top with an automatic, and gas heater.
They bought it as a second car, they also had at that time a '60 Ford Wagon.
Dad told me about it being an automatic, "It had this crazy little switch on the Dash for Fwd & Rev"
and Mom told me Dad bought that car only because the gas heater gave "Instant Heat".
My Sister Marsha told a story about Mom screaming "Someone stole the Engine" when people would open the trunk, which was in the front.
My Mother always had a good sense of humor.
I barely remember the car, Dad traded his cars every 3 years until the mid 90's.
Dad was really rough on cars, so by the end of three years any car he had was beat to death.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

Oh, man! i hafta update every once in a while.

Lotsa things happened in the past couple months- plumbing disasters, welder goes on fritz, new resident to town, Mark E Smith of The Fall dead at 60, horrific fire down the block involving fatalities, the mighty BBBB3, none of which are Corvair-shaped.

Plus another needy vehicle showed up, a '65 Volkswagen Beetle. Ever heard of those? Strange, lumpy things with their engines also in the back. Weird.
Now, this one ain't my car, it belongs to my across-the-alley neighbor, and it came from Albuquerque, touted on Craigslist as a nice rustfree example, blah blah blah, great car.

Guess whut? It wasn't rust-free.

It is the very essence of rust, is what it is. What a Got-damned mess. Passenger rear pan rotted- this part the flipper owned up to- passenger door sill rotten, both rear inner-fender bumper bracket mounts all flexible and focked along w/ the inner fenders behind, just all over the vehicle are See-Thru Fun Spots. Dang! My job: Make it not so rusty. Big ol' pile of new metal from WW has been trickling in, so no Maytag patchfest on this one. There will be pictures.

Hell, here's one:

Joy to the world. The other side: Even worse.

Those are now repaired and I'm getting after the sills, the heater friggin' channel which looks like a sad tortured rustworm, it's just a million laffs.
But one thing showed up that is making life nice:

What a great machine. BZZZZZT and everything's swell, unlike the cussword-cannon I had been using. Need a very good MiG? Get one of these. Me and this machine are buds.

More later but thought a quick update was in order.
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Important Institute business Reply with quote

Oh! One more thing: In order to defray costs I've created a nonprofit.

Want to see the logo? Of course you do! Here it is.

T-shirts, stickers and associated cacaraca available soon. Join the Institute!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

I am in dire need of an IAD T-shirt. And maybe a mural painted on my garage door.

Where/when do we sign up?
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

I love my handler, but damn it's heavy compared to some of the new inverter units.
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

Zeen wrote:

Wait, Maytag sheetmetal in the floor? You are my hero. Laughing

Keeping my eyes peeled for a Speed Queen logo I can stick on to this heap in some inconspicuous spot. I do have a Maytag serial plate, that puppy's getting riveted to the floor somewhere, no question.

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Last two months running Hemming’s has had something about Corvair. Good info hope this helps you. It’s February and March issues Very Happy

Patty B. wrote:
I saw this fun Chevy promo short on TMC --The Corvair in Action--

KTPhil wrote:
I love how they show it crossing the creek. No lawyers back then telling you to not try this at home (or you void your warranty!) I'm surprised they show it rolling.

Thanks for these- can't get enough of Corvairs tearing around like goofs.

ach60 wrote:

I always thought of these cars as "Moon Buggies"...

They are oddly otherworldly...

cdennisg wrote:

Where/when do we sign up?

As soon as I find a decent printer who can do up IFAD 'diplomas' using letterpress. I found a cool old notary embosser that will make the documents appear official. We're taking this seriously!

cbeck wrote:
I love my handler, but damn it's heavy compared to some of the new inverter units.

That's no lie- this beast is large and in charge. In this context, I'm going w/ 'heavier is better'.
As a matter of fact I'm planning a cart that uses a couple old motocross-bike wheels for rolling the unit easily through the rocky backyard.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

Hang with me as I explain. I’ve got Hagerty insurance on my VWs because it’s cheap and easy and I also get email updates of everything car related. So a few weeks ago I got a road test of two Corvairs one of which was Ralph Naders personal 62 sedan. It was a good read as they put the cars through their paces. Hagerty also puts out a very nice magazine which I just started getting and what’s on the cover but the Corvair going balls out into a hard corner. It’s the road test with nice color pics. I can’t post it up because last time I did someone here deleted them. I deleted the text after my post was ruined and nobody gets to see it. But if you’d like to see all the pics PM me we will bypass this place and I’ll send to you directly. Very Happy
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

Post them on http://imgur.com or another free place and link them here.

Or send them to me and I'll do it
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

Thanks I took to heart the admonition to post here, thinking ahead to prevent another photo bucket fiasco.
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Drunk ReutterWerks, no tar yet Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Corvair going balls out into a hard corner.

I saw that video shortly after swan-diving into this heap/lifestyle- what is impressive apart from the Ralphrustbucket refusing to roll up into a ball were the tires' determination to remain on the rims. By all means post links to the article and video if you wish as I found it informative and believe others will too.

Things happening: Moar floor. This shows the rear-seat area sheetmetal brace running perpendicular- this dumb puppy was rotten from around two inches to the floor. Wiggly!
Note the addition of non-washing machine sheetmetal, i.e. black, which is from a couple metal shelves a friend dropped by for me to subvert and destroy.

The backside of that brace, which has some compound curves and me with no English wheel, fabrication tools and so forth. So, the process is make a dippy little pattern, cut out shape from Speed Queen or other, drill lotsa holes for plug welds to remaining Corvair metal, beat into rough shape, weld a couple sides of said piece into place then weld and hammer it into shape when it is good and hot. Then do it again and again and again. Patchy and slovenly of course, but solid.
I'll do damn near anything to avoid buying pan sections, plus all the weldage is good practice. Maybe by the time this projekt is done I may learn to make a couple attractive beads. Or maybe not.

I added that little missing spot so it's now finished, Ospho-ed, POR-ed and will be seam-sealed, bottom and top.

Sorta like the look of these shots; reminds me of aerial photos of a dam under construction in Wyoming or somewhere in 1967.
Parenthetically, makes me think I should do A Art or two, crudely hammered bas-relief wall pieces, w/o bothering to clean off the paint and featuring my dopey stitch-welds. Kinda like the overall effect, probably in the same manner as one likes the smell of one's own farts.

I've doubled and in some spots tripled the sheetmetal for max strength plus after filching an old car-rooftop rack in the next backyard over for four 48-inch top-hat sections, cut, bent and welded the sections into the mess, underneath the vehicle.

What else? Oh, yeah, I ran through the last bottle of Argon/CO2 right quick so the current bottle is straight CO2. It makes for slightly messier welds but better penetration, is less expensive, comes compressed to nearly 1000 PSI instead of around 500 for the Argon/CO2 mix and there are always CO2 bottles on hand at the feed store which is not often the case for the small 20-pound Argon bottles which are regarded as cute Barbie-sized by the Big Rough Men at Johnson's Feed.

That there is what it is. Oh, here's a photo of the finished floor/sill on the BlauBeetle.

Still hafta seam-seal the thing but it's komplete, and even managed to save the original heat channel which is kinda a miracle out of Scripture.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

I'm surprised nobody said it yet... Nice T-34. It's the reverse of what everyone called my T-34 (a Corvair). Wink
Good job on the repair work. Nice job. Very Happy
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

Thanks, man. Isn't a T-34 also a Russian WWll tank?
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Shameless Plug Reply with quote

On their way...inquire within.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

I am in dire need of a XXL IFAD T.
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I am in dire need of a XXL IFAD T.

Comin' up...look like our first printing has sold out!
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

geez - my neighbor just sold off like 30 Corvairs in the last 6 months. now I find this thread

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

Mal evolent wrote:
geez - my neighbor just sold off like 30 Corvairs in the last 6 months. now I find this thread

Find 'em and bring 'em back!
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

Custom 4 door convertible Corvair in NY.
https://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/d/1965-classic/6522713616.html
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: A ass for purtnear every seat Reply with quote

Whoa...! Masonic sticker and Cougar taillights. Duuuude.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: THE DARK SIDE Reply with quote

Updates?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: