Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 Bench ran fine, installed in the bus failing.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Type 4 Bench ran fine, installed in the bus failing. Reply with quote

2.0 Type 4 Engine Camper Special rebuilt w/ Dual Weber 40 IDF, Bosch 010 by Glenn; bench ran ok before installing in bus.

Only change: Transmission and Fuel source.

Used a different transmission to test the engine and it ran ok on the bench.

I have an 002 in my 72 bus, installed engine in 2 weeks ago. I have a Carter fuel pump I bought from Gary, and have a similar fuel pump/regulator combo that he's done.

Fuel tank was hot tanked, and light coated with ATF from inside to prevent rust before installing engine.

I have the regulator set at 2.5 PSI ( some reason adjustment doesn't go any higher).

Put about 3 gallons of fuel into the tank. Checked engine oil, and transmission ground etc.

Engine had trouble starting, until about 5-8 times. Only fires on if I push to pedal and hold for a bit.. once I let go of the pedal RPMs sound low, and then engine turns off.

Not sure where to start.

Link

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Bench ran fine, installed in the bus failing. Reply with quote

Terminatez wrote:
I have the regulator set at 2.5 PSI ( some reason adjustment doesn't go any higher).

Or is it your gauge?, do you have another to try?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Bench ran fine, installed in the bus failing. Reply with quote

Kevin,
It does sound like it’s running out of gas. You can try and fill both float bowls and if it starts and runs great for about a minute and then dies suspect your fuel source.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Bench ran fine, installed in the bus failing. Reply with quote

Check the fuel flow from the tank outlet to see if the outlet got blocked then work your way to the carbs checking every junction for flow.

I suspect it’s the tank outlet
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Bench ran fine, installed in the bus failing. Reply with quote

Maybe Busdaddy is onto something. You say your gauge maxes out at 2 1/2 psi but as I recall that pump should put out 4 psi. Maybe try going the other way on the regulator and forget what the gauge says. Try lowering the fuel pressure and see what happens. You may be flooding it if your gauge isn't calibrated.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Bench ran fine, installed in the bus failing. Reply with quote

is the gas from the same batch it ran on prior? Fresh?
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Bench ran fine, installed in the bus failing. Reply with quote

Quote:
Fuel tank was hot tanked, and light coated with ATF from inside to prevent rust before installing engine.

Just how much ATF was used to "light coat" the fuel tank? was it enough once the fuel was put in and effectively rinsed the tank to contaminate the fuel?

Just a little spit ballin' here.
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Bench ran fine, installed in the bus failing. Reply with quote

I'll buy another Gage to test the pressure.

I used a quart of ATF to coat inside the fuel tank (to make sure it reaches everywhere when shaken), but I let it drain for about an hour.. pretty much till where it wasn't dripping anymore. Had more than 3/4ths of it back in the same container. I also put 4 gallons and then let it drain completely. I then installed the fuel filter to the outlet and pump, and put in fresh new fuel.

I'll start off with a new gage To check pressure.

I have the vent lines that connect to the charcoal cannisters disconnected, will this affect the pump somehow by sucking air?
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Bench ran fine, installed in the bus failing. Reply with quote

Changed the gauge and still wasn't able to get it higher than 2psi.

Might be the regulator. I just ordered the diaphragm kit for the regulator and hope that'll fix it. Will also be checking the outlet to see if it's blocked some how.

I have a 3/16 hose from tank outlet going to a shut off valve which converts to 5/16 hose into the pump. Would this cause the pump to not push past 2psi?

Also, while trying to start the engine today... I had a lot of back firing from the carbs. Would not stay on even when pushing the throttle. Could see fire around the carbs. This didn't happen that last time. Confused
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Bench ran fine, installed in the bus failing. Reply with quote

3/16 is too small. Bypass the regulator and try it again
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Bench ran fine, installed in the bus failing. Reply with quote

did you remove the spark plug wires after the test firing or change the timing? Did you remove the carbs or any hoses after the test run?

Someone might get a kick out of this. For my high school prom, my best friend and I took their family '67 Camaro to go to the prom and after prom with our dates. Danny and Mike took the '41 Packard deluxe we had restored. When Steve P and I left his house Dan was outside trying to get the Packard running and it was doing all sorts of strange things like yours. Finally about 10PM Dan and Mike showed up at the prom with their dates. Turns out Dan's dad had handed him a gas can full of kerosene to pour in the tank to be sure he had enough gas to get to the gas station to fill it up.

Your problem sounds like the fuel pump is not properly pumping fuel by the way, or there is a restriction in the line. You might try turning the key on and leaving it on for 30 seconds then trying to start it. If it is the fuel pump or a restriction it will run fine for a minute or two. If it is the plug wires changed - be sure to check them again. Good luck.
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Bench ran fine, installed in the bus failing. Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

aeromech wrote:
3/16 is too small. Bypass the regulator and try it again

Gary,

I just ordered the proper size hose (Honda 5.5 fuel hose) and fittings for the shut off cock that I have to be able to change filters easily. May indeed be a restriction from the too small 3/16 hose.

SGKent wrote:
did you remove the spark plug wires after the test firing or change the timing? Did you remove the carbs or any hoses after the test run?

Someone might get a kick out of this. For my high school prom, my best friend and I took their family '67 Camaro to go to the prom and after prom with our dates. Danny and Mike took the '41 Packard deluxe we had restored. When Steve P and I left his house Dan was outside trying to get the Packard running and it was doing all sorts of strange things like yours. Finally about 10PM Dan and Mike showed up at the prom with their dates. Turns out Dan's dad had handed him a gas can full of kerosene to pour in the tank to be sure he had enough gas to get to the gas station to fill it up.

Your problem sounds like the fuel pump is not properly pumping fuel by the way, or there is a restriction in the line. You might try turning the key on and leaving it on for 30 seconds then trying to start it. If it is the fuel pump or a restriction it will run fine for a minute or two. If it is the plug wires changed - be sure to check them again. Good luck.

Didn't remove the spark plugs. Carbs came off to slap the engine in (which I just realize I forgot to mention in the original post) Rolling Eyes .

I will double check the plug wires tomorrow afternoon.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Bench ran fine, installed in the bus failing. Reply with quote

sometimes on a T4 the carbs/phenolic gets hung up on the tin and causes big vacuum leak under the base. Check there too.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Bench ran fine, installed in the bus failing. Reply with quote

I think you’ll like that Honda hose Kevin
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Bench ran fine, installed in the bus failing. Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
sometimes on a T4 the carbs/phenolic gets hung up on the tin and causes big vacuum leak under the base. Check there too.

Don't have time to attend it at the moment until the following weekend, but I just checked it out and it seems like the manifold/gasket is sitting above the tin.

Thanks for the suggestion.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Bench ran fine, installed in the bus failing. Reply with quote

Do you mean that the tin is sandwiched between the intake manifold and the head? That’s bad
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Bench ran fine, installed in the bus failing. Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Do you mean that the tin is sandwiched between the intake manifold and the head? That’s bad

Yup, that's exactly what it looks like when I stuck my head into the engine area. I just took a quick look, but it was pretty visible.

Unfortunately the 72 doesn't have the engine bay door on the top so I can't check stuff out from above.

There are quite a few things I have to address to get the engine going. While trying to get the engine going in the bus, a few other problems came out.

1) One of the push rod tubes is leaking. The rest are fine, for now. Initially the push rod tubes seemed a bit short, all of them. The O-rings were all pretty much sticking out, so they were removed, picked up some shims and places them to give the rods a little more space. This allowed the O-rings to go into the slot better and fixed leaks on all the tubes, except I guess now one tube is leaking.

2) I have a small leak around the oil pump. Initially, the pump leaked on the bench... so it was removed, sanded down and a different gasket added. Stopped leaking, until now.

3) Exhaust leak! Right at the heads.
Going to follow ratwell guide on sealing the exhaust to the heads.
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Exhaust.html
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Bench ran fine, installed in the bus failing. Reply with quote

Looks like Steve called it
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Bench ran fine, installed in the bus failing. Reply with quote

Oh, and this is how the Orings looked before the shims...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They wouldn't go further in. Without the other side coming out the same way. Heads torqued correctly.

After adding the shims they were ok... short push rod tubes or what is your guys opinion?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Bench ran fine, installed in the bus failing. Reply with quote

What does the camper special people say about this?
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: