Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why would someone have done this?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MedievaL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Why would someone have done this? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I assume they were trying to get to something in the tunnel but I am not sure what. I was planning to patch it this weekend but being pretty new to the VWs I was curious what you guys thought.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Why would someone have done this? Reply with quote

To get to a broken clutch cable tube.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Why would someone have done this? Reply with quote

Most guys who do that repair don't open up the tunnel with an ax. Wink
Mine is cut twice, opposite pedal area and behind the E Brake.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Why would someone have done this? Reply with quote

My tunnel had a dodgy patch on the top (not as dodgy as your hacked hole) so I cut it out and welded a new patch piece in. I did a rectangular hole but did a radius on the each corner (good practice to avoid locations where cracking can start). The tunnel is the structure for the whole chassis so it is crazy that people hack holes and don’t fix them properly.
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Why would someone have done this? Reply with quote

Either a broken clutch cable tube OR your car was originally an auto-stick and the prior owner had to weld in a new clutch cable tube when it was converted to manual.
MedievaL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Why would someone have done this? Reply with quote

I finished cutting that "hatch" out today and cleaned it up a bit in preparation of patching it. I vacuumed the tunnel out as best I could and stuck my phone in there and took some pictures. I can't see any issues with any of the tubes in there so hopefully I can just weld in the patch and be done with it. I am going to wait until I cut the pans out to finish it so I can get the seat track out of the way.
PolarBearVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Why would someone have done this? Reply with quote

Might be a good time to run a fuel line first. I’ve lived the dream of fishing one through....ugh
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Why would someone have done this? Reply with quote

With the hatchet job to access the tunnel, i would confirm they did a better job on the repair (if that was the reason) if not ...check it now while its still easy. There are 3 places in the tunnel where the clutch tube is welded to the tunnel.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Why would someone have done this? Reply with quote

Last spring, in a clutch I had to do a "Field" repair which has held up really well. I did bend the acess flap back into place but haven't had I welded up yet. I'll admit I thought mine was fugley but that might be the worst I've seen. Looks like they used a hammer & chisel to open that up!

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Why would someone have done this? Reply with quote

MedievaL wrote:
I finished cutting that "hatch" out today and cleaned it up a bit in preparation of patching it. I vacuumed the tunnel out as best I could and stuck my phone in there and took some pictures. I can't see any issues with any of the tubes in there so hopefully I can just weld in the patch and be done with it. I am going to wait until I cut the pans out to finish it so I can get the seat track out of the way.

Thought you might be interested in what I found in my tunnel........ Shocked

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Why would someone have done this? Reply with quote

At least you didn't find a mouse.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Why would someone have done this? Reply with quote

My 70 beetle had the infamous loose clutch cable squeak... I purchased my Ghia, and was thankful the PO cut open the tunnel and fixed the loose cable tube. I installed Dynamat right over the cuts. Will be accessible if it were to come loose again. Hopefully it will hold.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Why would someone have done this? Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
My 70 beetle had the infamous loose clutch cable squeak... I purchased my Ghia, and was thankful the PO cut open the tunnel and fixed the loose cable tube. I installed Dynamat right over the cuts. Will be accessible if it were to come loose again. Hopefully it will hold.

Hopefully dynamat will hold cuts in the chassis together, lol
PolarBearVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Why would someone have done this? Reply with quote

Ha! I keep thinking of that scene in Herbie. Now put some “stress relief” in the roof and your all set.
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Why would someone have done this? Reply with quote

Yea, it an't purdy but I'd cover it up and move on... it might be useful further down the road (let's hope not).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MedievaL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Why would someone have done this? Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
MedievaL wrote:

Thought you might be interested in what I found in my tunnel........ Shocked

Yep, mine was just like that.
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Why would someone have done this? Reply with quote

You found a drill? How did that get in there?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Why would someone have done this? Reply with quote

was thinking the same. Nice one too!! I need a new cordless drill. My old DeWalt is dying.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: