Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just won't stay running.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Just won't stay running. Reply with quote

OK, Here is my final opinion on this issue. I am convinced that the carb is the issue. It did the same thing with the old later model smog sensitive carburetor that was on the motor.
There is absolutely nothing left that isn't according to specs for the motor. If carb is on the fast idle cam it runs fine and accelerates just fine and it will idle. If it comes off the cam it stalls. If I put a feeler gauge under the throttle pedal it runs. The idle is not affected by the adjustment on the idle screw in the side of the 34 pict-3. If anybody has another solution then "git er done". I'm ready to take it to a vw mechanic now as my 57+ years of being a back yard mechanic have met it's end as far as figuring this one out. Mad Embarassed
HOLY SH*T.....WHAT A RIDE !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
satterley_sr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Just won't stay running. Reply with quote

Unscrew the idle jet about 1/8 to 1/4 turn. You might have to re-adjust your idle mixture. The purists will give me grief but it works
sandawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Just won't stay running. Reply with quote

I will try it! Funny, I just changed out the main and idle jets today. Thank You. I'm also going to do a complete intake leak scenario......again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sandawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Just won't stay running. Reply with quote

The purest should take another look at your recommendation. I just tried what you said and it idles just fine now. After all I've gone thorough the last few weeks I would endure a week in the worst mosquito time of the year in Mi., in the nude to show you my appreciation for this. Now I will warm it up and attempt to adjust the idle properly tomorrow.
Thanks for the help again! Very Happy
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Just won't stay running. Reply with quote

What does loosening the jet do?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Just won't stay running. Reply with quote

Makes it act like BIG jet.
For whatever reason, the thing's just plain LEAN, Can't get enough fuel to idle. You unscrew the jet and it's like going from a size 50 jet to a 100 or so

usually, the source of the problem is a hidden carburetor passage is plugged, or there is a vac leak. Most vac leaks are easy to find but a bent valve or a hole in the head or manifold can be hard to find, and still counts as a vac leak. Power balance test might be clue, if it is even on all four or not.
boxkiteflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Just won't stay running. Reply with quote

Make sure there isn't crap in the fuel line or somewhere as Modok suggested. A 'bolus' of crap gets pulled toward carb (along with some fuel) then obstructs wherever. Engine quits so pump quits pumping, crap backs away and floats upstream toward tank. Rinse and repeat. It was a problem for me... once.
satterley_sr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Just won't stay running. Reply with quote

I know it is covering up some hidden blockage or wear by unseating the idle jet but they don't seem to run overly rich. Carb cleaner and even ultrasonic does not seem to clear it. If you are lucky, after running for awhile the flow of fuel will clear the blockage and you can re-set the idle jet back in.
sandawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Just won't stay running. Reply with quote

One puzzling thing I found yesterday was the vacuum at the carb. read 30. Never saw that hi of a vacuum reading before. FYI 2 and 4 read 120 compression and 1 and 3 read 95-100. A clue here?

Last edited by sandawg on Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Just won't stay running. Reply with quote

trace the circuits, and see if they all connect and go where they are supposed to go.. See where the air goes? See where th fuel goes?
Chinese carburetor, is that trustworthy? IMO heck no
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
sandawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Just won't stay running. Reply with quote

In case all else fails how big a motor can I go with the existing Carb. 34 pict-3 with a dual port manifold?
Might want to just buy new motor rather than screwing with this one.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Just won't stay running. Reply with quote

Are you going to put the SAME carb on a different engine and expect different results?
sandawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Just won't stay running. Reply with quote

I 'm just curious in case it turns out to be a problem with the motor and not the carb as pointed out by another post.
sandawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Just won't stay running. Reply with quote

No input on vacuum reading?
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Just won't stay running. Reply with quote

sandawg wrote:

So you have good manifold vacuum. Big deal. If the throttle plate is closed it will be there abouts. But that has nothing to do w/ you issue. Just know which vacuum is witch. You have manifold vacuum and port vacuum.

This a driveability issue you need to iron out. All tuning -
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Just won't stay running. Reply with quote

Compression check? I always start there with an unknown engine
sandawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Just won't stay running. Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
Compression check? I always start there with an unknown engine

from earlier post in this thread.
"FYI 2 and 4 read 120 compression and 1 and 3 read 95-100."
sandawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Just won't stay running. Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
sandawg wrote:

So you have good manifold vacuum. Big deal. If the throttle plate is closed it will be there abouts. But that has nothing to do w/ you issue. Just know which vacuum is witch. You have manifold vacuum and port vacuum.

This a driveability issue you need to iron out. All tuning -

OK, just curious, where would you go next?
hobbybob517
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Just won't stay running. Reply with quote

Did you test the compression with the engine warmed up?
full throttle?

Also instead of changing the engine, you could simply change the carb.
hope you get this thing figured out soon , i know what it feels like to have unfinished tuning buisness going thru the mind Razz

3 million rpm? Well there's your problem! No wonder it blew up!
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Just won't stay running. Reply with quote

I'm surprised no one has asked this. Did you clean the new carb before you installed it? A plugged carb is going to still act like a plugged carb whether it is new or old. They are not plug 'n' play.
comp should be with in 10% hi to low? so 120-12=102. 95 is a little weak, probably runnable for a while still.
The way I think of timing is this. It takes X amount of time for the current to go from the dist cap to the plug gap. That time can be measured in crankshaft degrees of rotation. you want the points to fire Before tdc so the piston is in the right spot when the spark gets there.
Happy tuning.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: