Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

save or cut up?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
parker007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: save or cut up? Reply with quote

just purchased 55 oval bug for parts(front , rear clip, driver door, etc) After looking at closer im starting to think maybe i should not cut up and save car. it is jun 1955 car matching body, pan and engine block in parts. front and rear never bent at all but has aftermarket fenders and hood. for those that have done metal work what is your thoughts. It need heater channels, sides back window, front quarter by heater channel, and some mis other rust places.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: save or cut up? Reply with quote

Save it or sell it to someone who will restore it.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
parker007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: save or cut up? Reply with quote

my dilemma is it has the parts i need but realy would like to see it saved
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: save or cut up? Reply with quote

Sell it and buy the parts from someone else who has already cut it for you. If not, then there is only one route.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: save or cut up? Reply with quote

I do metal fab, those are strange and uncommon areas to rust through like that. You should remove the seats and really inspect behind the rear seat, wheel wells and under the rear window/ vent area.. My initial gut feeling says that car is a rusty turd and will need extensive metal work. What you see on the surface is probably 20 percent, the other 80 is hidden.
To make that determination to cut it up or save it from a few photos is impossible. Would someone pay 5-10 grand in metal work plus another 10k in paint for a 20k restored car? Probably not. That is the main reason old cars get cut up. You've got to weigh in all those factors. What is its final restored value, and what will it take to get it there? Hope that helps. If you can get the parts you need, and sell the rest, that might be a good decision.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: save or cut up? Reply with quote

The only odd place for rust that I see is on the lower rear rain gutters but not unheard of. Especially if someone crammed some foam in there to try to keep the engine noise out. Everything else looks like normal spots on a beetle, especially if it has been sitting outside for a long time. I agree that it will cost a good bit of money to fix correctly. Without looking over the car it is impossible to say whether it is a sound car with rust in the normal places other than the rain gutters or thoroughly rotten.

I once bought a '69 that had an extremely solid body. The pan however was completely rotten. You just never know until you start digging around.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
parker007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: save or cut up? Reply with quote

floor pans good and area in back seat only have very small hole by corner by back tire, maybe im just a preservationist and dont like seeing old cars cut. and its all numbers matching. but then try finding pre 55 front and rear clip not hit.
mkbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: save or cut up? Reply with quote

hmmmm if was mine - I would sell it. Wait I already did. LOL

Good luck with your debate, Parker.

But I would cut that up and save another car.

Martin

My Build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=667183
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: save or cut up? Reply with quote

Id would not cut that up.. id clean her up and ebay her
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: save or cut up? Reply with quote

Some people take the attitude that "it's my car I can do what I want". I tend to look at it as I am but a custodian since I am not immortal and my car will one day pass into other hands.

If the car is not rotten I would try to save it. With the number of vendors making extremely high quality panels now cutting up a car for clips would be a last resort for me.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: save or cut up? Reply with quote

Mice probably under headliner. Probably pissing all over the insulation bags and rusting out.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: save or cut up? Reply with quote

parker007 wrote:

What parts do you need?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: save or cut up? Reply with quote

You have to make the final call on this one...
some old Bugs have to be cut up and parted out to save other old Bugs.
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: save or cut up? Reply with quote

Looks plenty saveable to me. I would pull the carpets and interior out to survey for further rust, and if it's not too bad turn around and sell it for parts cash.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: save or cut up? Reply with quote

parker007 wrote:

i'd keep it as a parts car and sell it in 10 years, after i'm sure I wouldn't need it anymore... then sell it to someone to restore...
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: save or cut up? Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
You have to make the final call on this one...
some old Bugs have to be cut up and parted out to save other old Bugs.

x2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: save or cut up? Reply with quote

NEVER cut a matching #s early Oval!!! Somebody else will love it and make a great project from it. you should be able to buy ALL the parts you need for what you get for this complete car. JMHO

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
parker007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: save or cut up? Reply with quote

ya im thinking i cant cut up. I think in 10 years not many number matching 55s for decent price. it has not much more rust than my other projects, floor pans look good behind seat all good, and not 1 dent in front or rear which is rare to me. If i did not have many other welding projects i would take on fixing. for now maybe just treat rust and put away.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: save or cut up? Reply with quote

I'm not trying to be a d!ck here but why would you even consider cutting up a relatively clean 60+ year old bug? Specially when you have a whole group of people who absolutely love the patina (visual history) aspect of these cars and would drive/enjoy the crap out of it as it currently is - with minimum safety repairs (ie heater channels/floors).

I understand that you need parts for your project so why not see about selling this car and purchasing those, or maybe trading the car for the items you need plus cash.

I'm absolutely interested in the car if you are ready to sell.
boxkiteflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: save or cut up? Reply with quote

Don't cut it. There are folks out there who will save it because that is what they like to do irregardless of getting upside down money wise. There are even folks like me who, although it wasn't their intention, are upside down with their projects but enjoy them any way! Embarassed Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: