Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Car Show Side Kicks That Can Be Gone
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
satterley_sr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Car Show Side Kicks That Can Be Gone Reply with quote

As I'm not allowed to lift anything heavier than 15 lb after a hernia operation I have been watching a lot of car shows on TV. Thank God for fast forward BTW.

There are some characters on the shows I would sure like to see gone.

How about "Horney Mike" on Counts customs. What an air head

Kevin (K dog) on Bitchin Rides. What a waste of time he is.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Show Side Kicks That Can Be Gone Reply with quote

Step away from the TV, go out to the garage, there is a LOT you can do that involves little if any lifting.

The crap you are watching is a colossal waste of life.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Car Show Side Kicks That Can Be Gone Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Step away from the TV, go out to the garage, there is a LOT you can do that involves little if any lifting.

Dave

Word.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Car Show Side Kicks That Can Be Gone Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Dave

This.

I can't think of a more mindless way to waste my time than to watch that drivel Velocity producers think constitutes a "car show"

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Car Show Side Kicks That Can Be Gone Reply with quote

I used to watch Velocity quite often. Now (for about the last half year), almost never.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Car Show Side Kicks That Can Be Gone Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

This.

I can't think of a more mindless way to waste my time than to watch that drivel Velocity producers think constitutes a "car show"

It's like eating a half gallon of ice cream or reading the National Enquirer. Bubble gum for brain, a guilty pleasure out of boredom. As winter sets in you'll be watching more of this shit, yes you. It's ok though it helps pass the time right? I don't think a serious straight up documentary type format would work because of short attention spans, folks want excitement you know shit blowing up, sex, gratuitous violence. That's what sells and that's what we want. We need to have a car show where if the guys make a mistake or go over budget boss walks in and wastes somebody. That would get ratings yes? Or maybe just take off a finger for lesser infractions. Wadda ya think? No more grab assing or playing around. Very Happy
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Car Show Side Kicks That Can Be Gone Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
sb001 wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

This.

It's like eating a half gallon of ice cream or reading the National Enquirer. Bubble gum for brain, a guilty pleasure out of boredom. As winter sets in you'll be watching more of this shit, yes you. It's ok though it helps pass the time right? I don't think a serious straight up documentary type format would work because of short attention spans, folks want excitement you know shit blowing up, sex, gratuitous violence. That's what sells and that's what we want. We need to have a car show where if the guys make a mistake or go over budget boss walks in and wastes somebody. That would get ratings yes? Or maybe just take off a finger for lesser infractions. Wadda ya think? No more grab assing or playing around. Very Happy

Hmm I don't know if this is sarcasm or what-- but the last holdout on that disgrace of a network I actually watched was Wheeler Dealers until they f^&ed it up too, causing Edd to leave the program. Why was it the last holdout? Because up until the point Velocity got over-involved and started micromanaging shit (i.e. from the time the show was bought by them from AttaBoy Productions UK) it was the exact OPPOSITE of everything you describe above- a car show dedicated to cars, and that's it. No fake BS drama, no stupid cartoon clown characters, and no "we're fixing this rusted out heap of junk in a week," just a guy fixing the cars and showing in detail what he was doing, and another guy buying/ selling. What a novel concept!
I understand there is a market for the "reality show" crap but there is a difference between what the audience of TLC Real Housewives Honey Talk BS wants to see, and what car enthusiasts want to see. For some reason Velocity consistently fails to realize that.
Plus I can't afford cable TV and don't miss it. The 4-5 shows over the entire spectrum of cable TV I actually wish to watch, I can just load up on gomovies123.

1600 SP engine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Car Show Side Kicks That Can Be Gone Reply with quote

Yes it's sarcasm, pretty thick too. Very Happy
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Show Side Kicks That Can Be Gone Reply with quote

Chasing Classic Cars and Wheeler Dealers are the only two shows on Velocity worth watching.
6T5 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Show Side Kicks That Can Be Gone Reply with quote

Look at what happened to TopGear on BBC- you watched it because you knew it was three goofy English guys driving really nice cars. Then the American version came along and the IQblevel took a dump. Yes Velocity is screwing up wheeler Dealers but just watch if hey try to make an American version. It can get worse

Quoting John Muir -- Open the rear boot. Get out the stool and sit down. Contemplate the air-cooled beauty before you. - How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive -- Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Show Side Kicks That Can Be Gone Reply with quote

When I'm on extended travel for work, I tend to start watching all this crap.
Remember Pinks!, God that bald guy was an ASS HAT!
Funny thing is once I get home, I don't have interest to find or watch this stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Show Side Kicks That Can Be Gone Reply with quote

'nuff said.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Car Show Side Kicks That Can Be Gone Reply with quote

^^^The 3 Stooges. Laughing
The head guy (Mark?) is a complete idiot...but that idiot knows mopars like others here know VW's. Serious part number knowledge. To his credit he does "restorations" brings them back to stock down to the QC paint marks.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Show Side Kicks That Can Be Gone Reply with quote

Something about those faces. They just look so..... punchable.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Show Side Kicks That Can Be Gone Reply with quote

Bob Loblaw wrote:
Something about those faces. They just look so..... punchable.

Yep there comes that anger. Thinking back over it my favorite show was a Saturday morning thing called "All girls Garage". Really liked that one especially the blonde one named Jesse. Can you imagine 3 nice young women helping you fix cars? I can. Very Happy
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Show Side Kicks That Can Be Gone Reply with quote

anyone remember shade tree mechanic?
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Show Side Kicks That Can Be Gone Reply with quote

I'm just sick of all the car show horseshit about 2 or 3 week build deadline.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Show Side Kicks That Can Be Gone Reply with quote

hotsam wrote:
Chasing Classic Cars and Wheeler Dealers are the only two shows on Velocity worth watching.

Not anymore.

1600 SP engine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Show Side Kicks That Can Be Gone Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I'm just sick of all the car show horseshit about 2 or 3 week build deadline.

I've got projects that have gone on for years. But female mechanics that were trained and licensed would hold my attention better than some fat bastard hamming it up for the cameras
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Show Side Kicks That Can Be Gone Reply with quote

6T5 square wrote:
Yes Velocity is screwing up wheeler Dealers but just watch if hey try to make an American version. It can get worse

They already DID make an American version of wheeler dealers; after buying it out they forced the show to move to California, filtered out just sbout anything uk-related to the show, and took away precious camera time from Edd and replaced it with either bs drama or Mike going to some vendor to get parts so they could provide a sponsorship. Everything that was good about that program disappeared after Americanizing it.

1600 SP engine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: