Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fiberglass mat
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bob cook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: fiberglass mat Reply with quote

what ounce or thickness do you use for repais 1.5 ounce ?????
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: fiberglass mat Reply with quote

For larger repairs, I like 2 or 3 oz mat. For smaller repairs I use 1.5 oz.

Most importantly no matter the weight, do not layer it up too thick at once, it generates too much heat and makes for a poor repair. Generally stay no more than 3 to 4 layers thick per application. Let cure, then layer more as needed to desired thickness.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bob cook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: fiberglass mat Reply with quote

thanks Joe will pick some up tomorrow let the fun begin
Hot Air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: fiberglass mat Reply with quote

You mean let the Itching begin. Laughing Good luck make sure you get all the air bubbles out. I bought a box of those cheap bristle brushes from Harbor Freight and use the 20% coupon. Cut the bristles down to about an inch long it will make them much stiffer. Use them to push the air out and spread the resin.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: fiberglass mat Reply with quote

I would suggest a fiberglass roller as well. After repairing several cars I finally broke down and got one. It make a HUGE difference in the overall quality of the repair.

It is WELL worth it.
Nic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: fiberglass mat Reply with quote

To help prevent itching, apply baby powder to your exposed skin/arms/hands. the baby powder clogs your pours and helps keep the fiberglass bits from sticking in your skin. Don't forget a good mask either.
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: fiberglass mat Reply with quote

All of the above, and consider wetting out your glass prior to laminating. Do this by protecting a flat bench or other surface with plastic or wax paper to make a wet out table. This way, you can wet out the glass, and squeegee out excess resin before layering on. You can get better fiber wet out, and fewer bubbles. Most of all you get a stronger repair by not floating the layers of glass on too much resin. The resin has no strength, and you get a better bond if you have just enough. Less drips and less sanding are a considerable side benefit.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: fiberglass mat Reply with quote

I use the disposable Paint Trey Liners to wet out the glass. More mobile to the repair spot. And once the resin drys, flex it and the resin pops off and ready for re-use.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
monomanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: fiberglass mat Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/Car-Builder-Supply-463-Fiberglass/dp/B00TA9XCXO

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bubble buster resin roller. These are fantastic for rolling the bubbles out of the resin glass lamination. to clean, soak in clean acetone. Some of these have a screw in the end that can be removed for cleaning.

These are fantastic for laminating the glass as jsbtown mentioned.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: fiberglass mat Reply with quote

Quote:
Bubble buster resin roller. These are fantastic for rolling the bubbles out of the resin glass lamination. to clean, soak in clean acetone. Some of these have a screw in the end that can be removed for cleaning.

The comparison to using one of these and just a chip brush is like night and day.
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: fiberglass mat Reply with quote

The paint roller tray is a great tip Joe. I made my “portable” table from a scrap of 1/4” ply, but I like your idea better. X3 on the bubble rollers, they work great! Fiberglaasssupply.com is a great resource for all kinds of glassing tools and materials.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: fiberglass mat Reply with quote

Put down some floor protection... Drips make hard to remove bumps on floor.... Consider EVERYTING you use for glass work as disposable...This means clothing, tools, mixing cups and sticks and have plenty of acetone handy to clean tools in and once resin starts to go off... You are done!... Get tools in acetone as quick as possible....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: fiberglass mat Reply with quote

I got in a hurry on one buggy that had a very large repair, a complete spare tire well, and did not have the time to order and wait on a roller to come in. So, I made one. Works really well. (and it fit into my cheapness nicely)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: