Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how do people feel about the flying swastika
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: how do people feel about the flying swastika Reply with quote

Before WW2 the first commercially made surfboards were made by Pacific Systems Homes. The name of the board was Swastika Surfboards. see below;

http://www.proswastika.org/e107_images/newspost_images/america_usa_san_clemente_surfboard_5.jpg

http://www.proswastika.org/e107_images/newspost_images/america_usa_san_clemente_surfboard_2.jpg

http://www.proswastika.org/e107_images/newspost_images/america_usa_san_clemente_surfboard_3.jpg
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: how do people feel about the flying swastika Reply with quote

There's a town in Ontario Canada named,
you guessed it...... Swastika.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika,_Ontario
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: how do people feel about the flying swastika Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Just talking about it means someone, somewhere at a Whole Foods with a Forester and a stack of New Age CDs is going to be offended on behalf of a family member they never knew from 3 generations ago. This hell-bent person will sip their chamomile tomorrow and with Crocks crossed in the hemp hammock rattle off a 3 page diatribe to TheView's Facebook page- #graveinjustice!!!

Beautiful. A way with words, you have.
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: how do people feel about the flying swastika Reply with quote

[quote="raygreenwood"]
Dan Hiebert wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I could take a VW Beetle and strip it down far enough to say "It's a Porsche", doesn't make it a Porsche. You see what you want to see. I don't see it.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: how do people feel about the flying swastika Reply with quote

But those who invented it saw it... it's not a latter-day realization, it was the intent.
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: how do people feel about the flying swastika Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
But those who invented it saw it... it's not a latter-day realization, it was the intent.

You're a time traveler or a clairvoyant, which one? I wasn't there, so I don't know what they intended. I see it as flags. We can agree to disagree.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: how do people feel about the flying swastika Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

Correct!, just to prove it ask someone in the German government if you could produce it for a run of T shirts over there.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: how do people feel about the flying swastika Reply with quote

jwp67 wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

You're a time traveler or a clairvoyant, which one? I wasn't there, so I don't know what they intended. I see it as flags. We can agree to disagree.

By your logic, you can't trust anything you can't directly observe in the here and now. No books, films, recordings, or word-of-mouth from eyewitnesses will mean anything to you.

So no Holocaust, no Jesus, no bombing of Pearl Harbor, no nothing!

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: how do people feel about the flying swastika Reply with quote

i see one in this logo......

anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: how do people feel about the flying swastika Reply with quote

Strange how it’s there and it isn’t. Same with the OP....
When I was a teen, the house we lived in had a swastika bricked into the fire place mantle.... never noticed it until one of my friends pointed it out.
A few years back I was in my old town and drove past my old house just to look, I then noticed that a house down the street had one bricked into the chimney on the front facing the street... never noticed it when I grew up there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikeandkirsti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: how do people feel about the flying swastika Reply with quote

jwp67 wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

Disagree or not, KTPhil is right. It was desiged to resemble a spinning swastika or the "Sonnenrad" which was also the symbol for the SS-Division Wiking

79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: how do people feel about the flying swastika Reply with quote

If the logo did not bring up unpleasant associations then I think VW would have kept it. Fact is they chose to replace it.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: how do people feel about the flying swastika Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
jwp67 wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

By your logic, you can't trust anything you can't directly observe in the here and now. No books, films, recordings, or word-of-mouth from eyewitnesses will mean anything to you.

So no Holocaust, no Jesus, no bombing of Pearl Harbor, no nothing!

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

Never said I could never trust all I don't directly observe, just that you can't truly know their intention on the creation of that symbol.

"Those that know history are doomed to repeat it"
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: how do people feel about the flying swastika Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
i see one in this logo......

That was their intention. Laughing
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: how do people feel about the flying swastika Reply with quote

And, well, ahem...
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: how do people feel about the flying swastika Reply with quote

ANd let's not let AT&T off the hook for evil symbolism:

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: how do people feel about the flying swastika Reply with quote

US Navy building

Forest

Manson

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: how do people feel about the flying swastika Reply with quote

No kiddin' there a lot of swastika's out there. From ancient Egypt, right up to the Lafayette Escadrille (in the original indian bonnet). Hitler didn't invent the symbol, he stole it. Like he stole a lot of other things. Including the lives of millions and millions of people.
If he'd have died in 1938 it would be a really endearing symbol of what was viewed AT THE TIME as a great movement. After all he was Time magazines Man of the Year!! As it is, it represents a really screwed up government and just about total evil. The Nazi swastika has no place on ANYTHING other than a historical vehicle if in fact it was a part of that vehicle (WW2 ME-109 tail for example). Other uses of the swastika as a good luck symbol, such as used by the Boy Scouts about 100 years ago have to suffer because it will always be tainted by the Nazi use.
As to the original question, I wonder if that symbol, the spinning fan part was ever actually used by Volkswagen in production. I know the cog wheel part was (KDF) but wonder about the other part. Don't really know.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: how do people feel about the flying swastika Reply with quote

My opinion is:
Any symbol, from Germany during 1933-1945 that looks like a Swastika... is a Swastika.

Nazi Germany knew the power of symbols and exploited their power.

We all know the early history of the VW, so let's not play games and deny its early history as a scam.

Any questions?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikeandkirsti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: how do people feel about the flying swastika Reply with quote

Joe 20 wrote:
No kiddin' there a lot of swastika's out there. From ancient Egypt, right up to the Lafayette Escadrille (in the original indian bonnet). Hitler didn't invent the symbol, he stole it. Like he stole a lot of other things. Including the lives of millions and millions of people.
If he'd have died in 1938 it would be a really endearing symbol of what was viewed AT THE TIME as a great movement. After all he was Time magazines Man of the Year!! As it is, it represents a really screwed up government and just about total evil. The Nazi swastika has no place on ANYTHING other than a historical vehicle if in fact it was a part of that vehicle (WW2 ME-109 tail for example). Other uses of the swastika as a good luck symbol, such as used by the Boy Scouts about 100 years ago have to suffer because it will always be tainted by the Nazi use.
As to the original question, I wonder if that symbol, the spinning fan part was ever actually used by Volkswagen in production. I know the cog wheel part was (KDF) but wonder about the other part. Don't really know.

The spinning swastika logo is on numerous early parts which are plentiful in early Kübelwagens. If fact most 1940-41 parts and some later have that logo. But the logo was still used up to about March/April 1952 on the Split Beetle door handles made by Huf, the manufacturer. They simply used the KdF-Wagen door handle molds since the logo does not show and is on the back side of the handle. See https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2074655

Many other parts had the VW cog symbol for a long time after the war, Kronprinz stamped all wheels with the cog logo until 1950. Many times the logos were deleted only after the molds or stamps were renewed. On early post war Beetles nearly all parts have the cog logo, some spinning swatikas. They were not too picky about the logos if they did not show.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: