Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Strange wiper noise
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Strange wiper noise Reply with quote

This summer I had the dash out. I took the opportunity to replace the OEM motor with a myrle or some German brand motor. I also replaced both shafts. All of it worked fine up until today. I am getting this strange noise. Any ideas what the sound could be? Here is a video

Link

Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange wiper noise Reply with quote

Check the large phillips head screw on the right side just under the windshield.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange wiper noise Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
Check the large phillips head screw on the right side just under the windshield.

It seems pretty tight. Seems something is obviously loose. I guess I'll have to yank the glovebox (and my subwoofer, and my Amp)
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Strange wiper noise Reply with quote

Could the linkage be hitting something?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange wiper noise Reply with quote

Could be worse... https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2017/11/30/Musician-u...512071827/

Wink

- Dave

PS: Yours sounds like binding in the linkage...did you lube everything & certain motor is mounted snug
& straight? Consider lubing the shafts themselves...somewhere shooftie has a post about this...<shrug>

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Strange wiper noise Reply with quote

So I thought about this more - and I feel I figured it out. This noise only occurs when you have been using the blower heater for awhile - then you got to use wipers and you hear this noise. It's like the wiper motor can't pull enough current and is pulsating - compensating for starved power.

The reason it is probably happening is because my early fuse holder is slightly melted. I tried bending the fuse contacts back - and its fine until you start using it more.

I replaced the ground trees - even jumped them together. The only thing I can think I did wrong was not use a high enough gauge wire. for the blower motor - from the resistor to the fuse block. However since I did the jeep resistor mod - I can replace without pulling the dash.

I have a new fuse block to install - but I want to make sure the issue is fixed before I install new fuse panel. So I was thinking a separate fuse for time being.

A fellow I follow on instagram is having similar issue - except his will cut off after 10 minutes or so - but fuse is good. We both have early blocks. he said after 30 minutes or so it will start working again.

Also - can a mod change the title of this tread to "Strange wiper noise - blower motor shared fuse?"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: