Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Still Tracing Wires
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Still Tracing Wires Reply with quote

I've been up under the dash. The PO left me a nice little mystery mess.

Although, with the exception of the door switches, everything electric worked and worked well.

I'm using the wiring diagram for the US 1966 from the Samba Archives.

Getting down to the end but I still have some unanswered questions. Here goes:

1. Parcel tray light. Previously noted that the light in question is most likely an add on from Sundial. I cannot figure out where this light got it's power. As of now, I plan to use an existing splitter on Terminal K5 to extend power to the light. I believe the light is self grounding and has it's own switch. This arrangement will give me power to the light when the other dash lights are on. It can be on or off via the switch.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2. On the speedo, 2 bulbs, K5-K5, the wire from K5 is shown going to J6, the dimmer relay. I haven't found the relay. Wire was loose.

3.Coming out of one of the harnesses are two wires, one red and one brown.
Most of the other wires in the harness look to go to the ignition switch. Both wires are taped. I haven't checked them for being hot.

4. There is a small harness running into the turn signals, horn, turn signals.
SItting in the drivers seat. Looking down through the speedo hole, there is a single gray wire going to the right. No clue????

I'm trying to get everything secure to the point where I can reattach the ground and see what fuses pop.

Any insights or information most appreciated. Thanks all.

dgsaz
nvmipis1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Still Tracing Wires Reply with quote

From my understanding there is suppose to be a second relay in your wiring harness which should be located on the right side / passenger side behind kick panels. That could help you out alot. Wiring is always a headache
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Still Tracing Wires Reply with quote

dgsaz wrote:

2. On the speedo, 2 bulbs, K5-K5, the wire from K5 is shown going to J6, the dimmer relay. I haven't found the relay. Wire was loose.

dgsaz

The gauge lights (K5) get their power from terminal 58b on the light switch (F). J6 is the fuel gauge and also has a light. That schematic key is wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Still Tracing Wires Reply with quote

dgsaz wrote:
1. Parcel tray light. Previously noted that the light in question is most likely an add on from Sundial. I cannot figure out where this light got it's powe

Yes, it is a Sundial attribute and handy.

You should in-line fuse it (for additional safety if you want) and tie it into the 30 path somewhere handy. You want it hot all the time just like the other dome lights. A little pigtail splitter at the J5 #30 terminal is a good place to feed it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: