Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Saved a 1959 beetle.. Farm find, resto project..
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drzdirtbag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Saved a 1959 beetle.. Farm find, resto project.. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm the lucky new owner of a 1959 beetle.. My first beetle.. Just started the teardown.. I will be counting on you guys for lots of help with this build!!!!

Last edited by Drzdirtbag on Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Saved a 1958 beetle.. Farm find Reply with quote

Looks like the original 36 horse engine are you going to restore it and keep the care original? The 58 is kind of my dream car. It's not a more valuable oval window from the 57 year but it's still the crash box and the 36 horse. I must say as far as an original crash box trans goes. They aren't too good as daily drivers. But the 36 horse on the other hand makes a really great town car. So If the trans is shot, not to big deal. Help - late transmission into '57 Oval.

Last edited by Danwvw on Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Saved a 1958 beetle.. Farm find Reply with quote

Wow looks like a great car to start with. Nice find. Take lots of pictures as you take things apart, and be thorough when labeling stuff. Even stuff you think you wouldn't forget, you'll forget.

Keep us in photos, we'll keep you in advice!
63Ragtop NZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Saved a 1958 beetle.. Farm find Reply with quote

looks amazingly solid, don't throw away any parts, alot of the new stuff is crap compared to the real deal, good luck!
Drzdirtbag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Saved a 1958 beetle.. Farm find Reply with quote

Thanks guys.. I'm super stoked to bring her back to life.. I want to keep her as stock as possible.. The engine is super seized.. Soaking the cylinders now, and will try to free it up first before I tear it down.. It would be nice to try and get a bit more power out of the stock block.. But I'm aways off from there..
About to start to pull the body from the chassis and see how it is..
Did I mention how stoked I am on this!!!
Thanks fellas.. Randy..
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Saved a 1958 beetle.. Farm find Reply with quote

Man that car just screams restoration, but if you do swap engines or the like, keep the original parts, and don't do anything that can't be undone.

As stated, restore original parts if at all possible. Most of the aftermarket stuff is just garbage.
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Saved a 1958 beetle.. Farm find Reply with quote

I'm in process on a '58 myself. X2 on saving as much as you can, most everything is available but definitely not the best quality. Wolfsburg West has some very high quality parts. Very nice find!

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jim Hunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: Saved a 1958 beetle.. Farm find Reply with quote

Wow ! What a great save!

Also looks like a standard model (lack of side carpet and 100% standard model steering wheel)

Good luck!
kinkerstinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Saved a 1958 beetle.. Farm find Reply with quote

This thing would look KILLER just with new chrome and buffed paint. This is what dreams are made of.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Saved a 1958 beetle.. Farm find Reply with quote

Step back and have the long term plan....skip the painting and get the vehicle systems fully functioning and then drive it as is.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Saved a 1958 beetle.. Farm find Reply with quote

very cool car! I have been fixing up a '58 canadian std. for a while now & was wondering about where to get door panels. Looks like they had the 58-59 colors, but just all one solid color on yours.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Saved a 1958 beetle.. Farm find Reply with quote

Very cool find right there...hope you have fun rebuilding it...looks ok for it's age too..yeah dont worry about the outside...start on the bottom and work your way up...

my 2 cents...

MikeC
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Saved a 1958 beetle.. Farm find Reply with quote

Drzdirtbag wrote:
The engine is super seized.. Soaking the cylinders now, and will try to free it up first before I tear it down.. It would be nice to try and get a bit more power out of the stock block.. Randy..

So you should not try to turn the engine over with a wrench or anything like that. If it is seized at the crank it could ruin the case. Probably is the cylinders though. Yes soak them then remove them with a soft rubber mallet when your get the heads off. You will be throwing the Piston and cylinders away anyway likely. Be careful not to break the fins on the heads. Never hammer with the soft mallet on the head fins. Yes hit heads at the studs to loosen. 36Horse engines are becoming rare and all the small parts are very important to save. People do get more power out of the 36 horse engine but it's expensive. There are dual port heads and manifolds that allow for running dual carbs and the 36 Horse engine has available for it larger than the old stock 77mm bore pistons and cylinders you can run. Also you can run a special 69.5mm stroke crankshaft and I think a 74mm one.
Best way to have a powerful bug is to just build up a 1971-1974 dual Port 1600 engine into a larger engine and either use Dual Weber IDF, IDA carbs or Fuel injection or some nice used Dellorto carbs. It is possible to with a Dual Port 71 or later beetle engine to make over one hundred horsepower for about what it would cost to rebuild the 36 horse with the 36 dp heads and stroker crank etc.. and maybe wind up with 70 Horsepower.

txoval's 36 horse: Twin Webers on a 36 hp engine.
I think these are 36mm Dells:

Drzdirtbag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Saved a 1958 beetle.. Farm find Reply with quote

Gt1953.. I totally agree.. That's my plan. Concentrate on the mechanical side and not get too carried away with the body for now.. I just want to drive and enjoy it asap..
Drzdirtbag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Saved a 1958 beetle.. Farm find Reply with quote

Danwvw.. Thanks for the info.. I don't think I'll get to carried away with the engine.. I do want to keep her fairly stock.. Funds are kinda limited for now.. I appreciate the tips...
Cheers, randy..
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Saved a 1958 beetle.. Farm find Reply with quote

If your funds allow, you can throw in a 69.5mm crank and Okrasa or other cam and still run the stock manifold with a 30mm carb. It would provide significant torque increase.

Here’s the best pic of my engine...new linkage. 36 IDF’s...I wish they were Dells

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veedubfreak59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Saved a 1958 beetle.. Farm find Reply with quote

Always good to see people saving old girls. This is how mine looked when I pulled it out of the field.

Good luck with it, just know, that you'll likely never recover the amount of time and money you put it in it. But thats half the reason you save these silly cars.

If you have the room, just set the OG engine asside and drop in a built motor. You'll never really get enough power out of the old lawnmower to make it worth building. My 36horse is currently residing in storage back in texas.
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Saved a 1958 beetle.. Farm find Reply with quote

veedubfreak59 wrote:
just set the OG engine asside and drop in a built motor. You'll never really get enough power out of the old lawnmower to make it worth building.

It would be well worth rebuilding it, especially if you don't have money for a "built motor" laying around. I daily drive a 36hp beetle & really enjoy doing it.

Enjoy the car, and get it running & driving as is before you start modifying things. You might like the 36hp more than you'd think Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
boxkiteflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Saved a 1958 beetle.. Farm find Reply with quote

+1 what everybody is saying about taking it apart. Nice find! original 36hp and tranny is very drivable.
pbenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Saved a 1958 beetle.. Farm find Reply with quote

Drzdirtbag wrote:

About to start to pull the body from the chassis and see how it is..

Slow down a little, maybe. Takes some planning. Car space, a cart or rotisserie with good dollies, a plan of action to avoid distortion.

There's lots of great builds in the forums, both in 58-67 and Body/paint, posts of body-offs, but generally you brace your door openings side to side and across the car, mig welding angled stock, joined by turnbuckles for any adjustments.

Before you lift it. Plus you'll want to media blast, which takes planning. Compressor noise, disposal, etc.

I wish I had your project. But short of a body-off, if it was me, I'd be media blasting the roof flanges and window openings windows-out, just to halt whatever might be going on with the patina rust. Lose patina, but gain peace of mind.

But I guess you don't want to paint it. What about a brush-on rust converter?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: