Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Saved a 1959 beetle.. Farm find, resto project..
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Saved a 1958 beetle.. Farm find Reply with quote

I want that.

Also it is a '59 not a '58.
Don
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Saved a 1958 beetle.. Farm find Reply with quote

Drzdirtbag wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm the lucky new owner of a 1958 beetle.. My first beetle.. Just started the teardown.. I will be counting on you guys for lots of help with this build!!!!

Very nice! Very Happy It makes me very happy to see another 58/59 being brought back to life. Your car's color and patina remind me very much of my car! Cool
I think that if you rebuild and run the stock 36 hp engine (if it is salvageable, I really hope it is) you will find it has plenty enough power, or at least I feel like mine does. I know they don't have the torque and horsepower of a built engine, or even a stock dual port 1600's, however I was pleasantly surprised with mine; it can pull rather well for its size! Smile Smile Oh and I sent you a PM.

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Saved a 1958 beetle.. Farm find Reply with quote

The fourth picture above tells the whole story. The rear set rest is stamped into the body in a '59 whereas it is a post welded to the body in a '58. I bet there are 3 ribs behind the spare tire. Also '59 model year started in August. Also also it is Fjord blue, a '59 only colour.

Don
Drzdirtbag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Saved a 1958 beetle.. Farm find Reply with quote

Thanks Don..I really appreciate the info..
MattBon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Saved a 1958 beetle.. Farm find Reply with quote

Yes, they can look a little rough when we get them! Cool to see another 59 being saved, here is mine when I picked it up in 2016.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Drzdirtbag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Saved a 1958 beetle.. Farm find Reply with quote

Well the tear down is going pretty good.. Man these bugs are sweet to work on.. I've got the chassis scheduled for sandblasting next week on my days off.and have a parts list going out today, so they will be here for when my chassis is ready. . I've just started into the engine last night.. Pulled off a valve cover.. Man it's pretty ugly in there.. I'll post pics once it's all apart.. I need to get the block, crank, cam, and heads to the machine shop tomorrow to get cleaned and inspected..
Back out to the shop to get busy..
Cheers, randy..
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Saved a 1958 beetle.. Farm find Reply with quote

Moving along quite nicely. Keep the pics coming.
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Saved a 1959 beetle.. Farm find Reply with quote

Those " Standards " are pretty sweet
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
Drzdirtbag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Saved a 1959 beetle.. Farm find, resto project.. Reply with quote

Well it's been a week of ordering and receiving parts.. Arranging for sandblasting.. Finding wheels to roll the chassis on to get sandblasted. Buying a welder to do all the bodywork (man there is gonna be alot of metal work on this beauty..when I got the sandblasting done yesterday it showed up a bunch of rusted spots that I didn't see on the floor pans.. I thought at first only needed a section for the left side replaced.. Well now both completed floor pans look like they need replacing.. Oh well, I figured as much at the start..
Oh well.. Let the fun begin!!!
Cheers, randy..

Drzdirtbag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Saved a 1959 beetle.. Farm find, resto project.. Reply with quote

Started on the rear apron.. This is my first time ever doing body work to thus level.. And there is alot of it to do..
Hit the rear apron spot welds drilled out and removed fairly easily.. After sizing up the right side piece and measuring it up many times.. I finally made the first cut.. One minor over cut.. But not too bad.. Got the new piece spot welded in.. Still have more to weld to finish up this side before I start on the left.. But I think it's going g ok.. Won't know for sure till the rear hood goes on and closes.. I'm having a great time though..
Merry Christmas all.. Randy.

flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Saved a 1959 beetle.. Farm find, resto project.. Reply with quote

You're doing a great job!

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vicali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Saved a 1959 beetle.. Farm find, resto project.. Reply with quote

Awesome thread, another Kamloops vw guys here.
I'm looking at a 59 from the Okanagan right now..
Your thread is helping! Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: