Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 VW Beetle (I think I will call it Scooter)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: 1970 VW Beetle (I think I will call it Scooter) Reply with quote

Decided to rebuild another VW bug...sold my 1948 Chevy truck project and picked up this yard driving 1970 Beetle from the Santa Rosa CA...I am in the upstate NY...so we made the deal and I hired the trucking company....it is rough old car but it is 47 years old...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is from the trucking company...I guess he had never hauled a project before...his check off list bring a smile to my face...

This is the Craigslist ad pictures...

Needed front brakes...

someone bought new carpet and seat covers too...

it even came with a new patch panel for the battery box...

got the panel all trimmed and ready to get welded in place....

Motor will be out of the car in the next couple of days...need to figure out how to install a new tinwork gasket and a new generator too...

Hoping to have a decent spare car to drive around on nice days only...no snow or salt days...the wife said she would drive it too...the last 10 projects she would not drive at all....hope to change her mind on this....

Wolfsberg West is on my radar as we wait for parts....

Last edited by mikec4193 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Beetle Reply with quote

Sorry I almost forgot

This is the motor...dont have a clue what it is...it did run off the trailer and 250 feet down my drive way into the garage...

front tires were beat...so...

I love love love the rust on this bug...nothing like upstate NY stuff....

front panel under the fenders needs some help....

Wolfsberg West has for less than $45.00 per side...

Biggest rot hole in the car other than the batter box fiasco is here under the drivers side front fender...

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Beetle Reply with quote

That is a great car. I'm in Ohio so our bugs look like yours in upstane NY. I stumbled on a former Cali car by dumb luck and the most fun I've had is taking the fenders on and off. On... off.. on.... off.... Tee hee. I could do it all day Smile. It's the simple things you can't take for granted in the rust belt.

If it's ok to ask, what's it cost to have a bug shipped from California?

Enjoy!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Beetle Reply with quote

Hey Buggeee

Yuppers the car was $975.00 and the shipping was $1089.00 bucks...kinda crazy...I hate Northeast rust and rot in the worse way....so I am into this for more than what I payed for it...I am ok with it so far....

It even has that Beetle smell inside...love the sound of the doors closing too...

MikeC
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Beetle Reply with quote

I faced my fear as Tony Robbins would say...

It took me about 1 hour 20 minutes....

Only one oops so far....

two orders to Wolfsberg for parts....

Next is getting things cleaned up...loosing all the chrome on the firewalls...taking carb off and shipping it off to Tim at Volksbitz....One thing I learned from last two rebuilds...get a carb rebuild by someone who knows what he is doing...it will make the motor run so much better...generator is getting swapped out too....

Motor is coated in oil...dripping out on the garage floor even when it was not running...gonna have to get a drip pan for it to sit over when it goes back together....not a fan of drippy engines at all...

MikeC
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Beetle (I think I will call it Scooter) Reply with quote

Not a bad amount of time! I bet twenty minutes of it was just getting the tools together😁 the more you do this job you will probably be done in half the time. I once tried the other option of taking the deck lid off to get the fan housing out so I could take the intake out. You just spent less time taking the engine out and getting the deck lid back into alignment was not fun.

Looking good!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Beetle (I think I will call it Scooter) Reply with quote

Hey EA812.....you are my hero...driving your 1966 VW for a year everyday...rain sleet or snow...just like the US Mail guy...

Busy weekend but not much time on the Scooter car....did get the carb off and boxed to go to Tim at Volkzbitz....

Previous owner had these crazy chrome things clipped into the firewall area...

Pulled them out and off to scrap heap....

I only pulled the motor out get the generator swapped out and the tin seal swapped out...here is the remains of the old tin seal....

Gotta order in for another seal from Wolfsberg for the front tin work...generator is coming too from Wolfsberg in a separate order...

next job on the docket is to install new tin seals...then I wanna pull the gas tank and see how bad it is inside...if it is bad I found one brand new and local for $60.00...

gotta love the price of vintage parts...I am so use to Willys Jeeps and AD style Chevy truck parts....nothing cheap on any of those vehicles...

Last edited by mikec4193 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Beetle (I think I will call it Scooter) Reply with quote

Get the engine seal from West Coast Metric. I cooked a Wolfsburg West seal in a few months. The WCM seal has a few years on it and will need replacement in a couple more but they have a life time warrantee. I'll see how that works out but it lasted longer!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Beetle (I think I will call it Scooter) Reply with quote

Congratulations on that engine pull! That feels great, the bug is yours!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Beetle (I think I will call it Scooter) Reply with quote

Slowly putting stuff together....

We found out the accelerator cable was frayed...so..

We swapped it out with a brandy new one...

I knew the old girl had been sitting for a while...the PO had told me it needed a carb rebuild...so when I had taken the carburetor off the fuel that spilled out was black in color...I had found a new tank locally for $60.00...

Took a lot of banging to get the old tank out....

Looks kind naked with out the tank here...

Oh yeah put the brandy new Wolfsberg West generator back onto the fan...

old smelly one shown here...

It is still sitting high in the air..as I slowly add new parts to make her a driver...

gotta tack the battery floor pan in next...I hate welding inside the garage....especially laying on my back doing it...probably never a better time then when the fuel tank is outside...
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Beetle (I think I will call it Scooter) Reply with quote

That's an adorable car. With all the work you are doing on it it will be in tip top shape.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Beetle (I think I will call it Scooter) Reply with quote

Generator is clocked wrong, wires will foul up with carb also turn clamp per manual as it’s preformed and will break if installed wrong. These are just detail items but are positioned for a reason.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Beetle (I think I will call it Scooter) Reply with quote

Nice car. The shipping wasn't as crazy high as I would've thought.

Since you have the engine out, why not give it a good once over to find any issues you can easily fix now? I'm thinking you won't be driving it much in the next few months.
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: motor wont fit back into the car.... Reply with quote

My biggest fear is back...I remember it like it was yesterday(it was 1979)...I was stuck putting an 1971 VW Beetle motor back in the car alone a again...I spent close to 2 hours on it tonight...

Tore the new gasket I bought for the sheetmetal tin work....then had to pull the shroud off because it kept hitting the generator on the rear deck lid lip on the rear of the car...I gave up for tonight...my hands were frozen and my patience were gone....

Anybody have any good videos on how to put these things back in the car again???

Motor is up on blocks under the car but it wont fit back into where it came from???...Debating now if I should put the shroud back on before I figure out how to bolt it back in the car....

I know now why I sold that old car some many years ago...they are a pain in the butt putting the these motors in...I am missing something here for sure...

This is a chin scratcher for sure...
MikeC
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Beetle (I think I will call it Scooter) Reply with quote

Hi Samba folks...

Finally got the motor installed...the angle was off on the approach I guess...still putting stuff back onto the motor..Had to take the fan shroud off and then had to take the deck lid off to put the shroud back on...

I found out the right rear had been hit and everything has shifted a tad so parts of the motor hit the rear sheet metal...I did find a little body shop that has a frame machine...hoping to touch base with them and maybe get the old girl over to their place and have them do some pulling...the front end is all tweaked too...

Found some hidden rot under the rear deck lid...cant find a patch panel yet for it...

Still getting use to the light weightness of these vehicles...I am use to Willys and AD style trucks...16-18 gauge was the norm on those trucks....nothing even close to that thickness anywhere on these little bombers...

I can push this little car around my yard alone...so that is a good thing....

MikeC
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Beetle (I think I will call it Scooter) Reply with quote

Hey Mike Congratulations on your successful motor install! I'm jealous of your attached garage. My project is in the detached single with fuel stablizer and a battery tender till spring. Merry Christmas Smile
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Beetle (I think I will call it Scooter) Reply with quote

More parts showed up....

motor is in the car....waiting for a rebuilt carb from volkzbitz on the left coast...

motor is hitting the rear apron on the passenger side....

Might have to hire a neighborhood frame machine guy to pull the rear sheetmetal back out...the front is pushed in pretty bad too...

more chin scratching...

MikeC
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Beetle (I think I will call it Scooter) Reply with quote

The last pic of the engine & bay looks like the engine has a lean to the right, be sure to inspect that the frame horns aren't bent.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Beetle (I think I will call it Scooter) Reply with quote

Hi TDCTDI

I noticed when I reinstalled the motor...it was very very tight on the right side...looks like the bug took a hit in the right corner...I have found a local guy who has frame machine....hoping to hook up with him in the next month or so in hopes that he can do his magic on both the front and the rear of this car...

MikeC
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Beetle (I think I will call it Scooter) Reply with quote

It has been mentioned already. Maybe you missed it but your generator is installed incorrectly. Yes it matters, it can't cool properly in that position. Should be like this ... rotate it 90°

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: