Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mysterious Massive Brake Fluid Leak
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Mysterious Massive Brake Fluid Leak Reply with quote

onetuza wrote:
OK, I'm set to try using a union with flares and if that doesn't work, I go to a temporary compression fitting...

I highly recommend against using a compression fitting on your brake line.

This is what you need to do the job right: http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Brake-Line-Front-to-Rear-85-5-2172mm-p/211-611-741b-211-611-741k.htm

It is not hard to install.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
onetuza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Mysterious Massive Brake Fluid Leak Reply with quote

Be that as it may, I completed the fix and tested it at 15 psi before bleeding.
SOAB! Nothing leaking but the friggin stopper and a dribble from the new reservoir hose where the hard line comes out of it. They don’t have the braided hose any more. It’s smooth rubber. Gunna try a clamp on that one, but the stopper has been a recurring problem through the years. Seams like a really inadequate design. Why not have another flare fitting like all the other’s?

Is the supply line supposed to have a flared end? Picture on WW doesn’t show one. But my old one dad one. Re-used it but it’s a little rough so I’m going to try to bend up a new one.

Anyway, anyone have similar problems and found a fix?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
onetuza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Mysterious Massive Brake Fluid Leak Reply with quote

OK I think I just realized something. I’m using one of those bottles that you pump up and pressure bleed through the reservoir cap, so I think I’m pressurizing something that isn’t normally under pressure during braking. Am I correct.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Mysterious Massive Brake Fluid Leak Reply with quote

Yes.
Use clamps on the non pressurized side of the res.. That way you don't blow off the supply lines to the MC.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Mysterious Massive Brake Fluid Leak Reply with quote

onetuza wrote:
OK I think I just realized something. I’m using one of those bottles that you pump up and pressure bleed through the reservoir cap, so I think I’m pressurizing something that isn’t normally under pressure during braking. Am I correct.

Correct.. there is nothing but head pressure from the reservoir on those lines.. you could pretty much call it 0 PSI. Clamp the lines if you want, or just leave it alone if they aren't leaking static.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
boxkiteflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Mysterious Massive Brake Fluid Leak Reply with quote

onetuza wrote:
Well I’m screwed now! I thought I was home free. Got the other nut loosened. loosened two of them all the way out then started on the other one and it was a little tight and the freaking brake line busted and wouldn’t you know it is the one that goes all the way through the car to the back. Not sure what I’m gonna do now. I guess remove the MC and then figure it out. Embarassed

My '59's brake lines were rotten and some broke while trying to remove the flared end from slave cylinders, etc. so I just replaced them all. It was a bit of work but these should last at least a hundred years because I'm using silicone brake fluid. Ya just gotta be able to stop!

Glad you are able to get things done! Very Happy
nvrgvupjw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Mysterious Massive Brake Fluid Leak Reply with quote

onetuza wrote:

Because I'm doing similar brake stuff on my '63, I just found these older posts. $.02 worth below.

NEVER use compression fittings in a brake system! Flares in a brake system must be the double-flare type.

When the fitting was rusted to the line, I have used a torch to break the rust bond. It can take several tries of heating/cooling. Be careful and have your extinguisher nearby.

I have never had to bench bleed a master cylinder in some 50 years of doing brake stuff. On every vehicle I've worked on, the master was mounted higher then the rest of the system. This allows most of the air to rise up through the master and out of the vented cap. However, the rest of the system must still bled as previously described.

Be safe.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: