Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electronic Ignition Conversion
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffRens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Electronic Ignition Conversion Reply with quote

I have a 1641 dual port motor that actually runs great. I would, however, like to convert to electronic ignition. I have a VW 113-905-205AH dual advance distributor. Has anyone done this and is any brand/supplier recommended ? Thanks in advance for a reply... Jeff
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition Conversion Reply with quote

I don’t think it’s ever been done.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition Conversion Reply with quote

Electronic ignition is a fine idea, but much of the aftermarket parts are... uhh... I'll just say not up to VW quality standards. I can't recommend any of the internal units. There are eternally amplified options like MSD, HEI or Ford modules, or even full crank fire. What are you hoping to gain with the conversion? That may help people offer useful suggestions.
JeffRens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition Conversion Reply with quote

I was thinking that a solid state ingnition would be more reliable and require less maintenance...
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition Conversion Reply with quote

Pertronix or Compufire, stay away from Hot Spark and other brands. And be sure to carry spares, as none are OE quality.

I still use points and never had a problem.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition Conversion Reply with quote

I have been running Pertronix electronic points for decades in most of my VWs and Porsches. Great upgrade, highly recommend it, timing never changes, dwell is no longer an issue. remember your timing changes with points between tune ups, so ylu soon loose that optimal setting and must reset it with points, the points wear, the fiber lifter wears and ti kng drifts. also a worn dizzie shaft can wobble and effect timing with points. These issues are eliminated with the Petronix.

the only time I had one fail was during a compression test, all four spark plugs removed and I cranked the motor, the Pertronix dont like that, but the solution is simple, either disconnect the ignition wire at the coil or short one of the spark plug wires to ground, and that will protect it. learned that once and never again had a problem.

Make sure you order the correct pertronix kit for your style dizzie, not all kits fit all dizzies.

Highly recommend, but with anything new fangled, wiz bang electric, keep a back up, toss the old points in the tool kit in the car just in case N. Korea blasts an EMP nuke above you.

Keep Buggin, Keep your timing dead nuts perfect! Bug On Sparky!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
edselflop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition Conversion Reply with quote

Is there anything like this available for us who are still running 6volt systems???

1964 VW Bug
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition Conversion Reply with quote

edselflop wrote:
Is there anything like this available for us who are still running 6volt systems???

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PER-1847-AN6

Six Volts link above, check dizzie type, call or email vendor if you have question

Bug On with Perfect Timing!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Dangermouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition Conversion Reply with quote

Just be aware that there are hard starting issues associated with 6V electronic ignition units as the system voltage drops below the 5V they require to trigger while the starter motor is spinning; no spark no start.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition Conversion Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I still use points and never had a problem.

Same here.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Dangermouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition Conversion Reply with quote

Me too for now but starting to think about quality and availability of points sets longer term... Shocked
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition Conversion Reply with quote

Same o same o, 50% yay, 50% nay, 100% carry spare points amd condensor.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition Conversion Reply with quote

And then many of us have had new condensors fail and points don't last like they used to.....So, which is worse? Just sayin......
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition Conversion Reply with quote

The last set of points and condenser I had lasted about 700 miles before failing in the middle of traffic. I switched to Petronix and the improvement in performance was mind-blowing from day one. I've gone over 5,000 miles since without a hiccup. (Knock wood.)
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition Conversion Reply with quote

René R. wrote:
The last set of points and condenser I had lasted about 700 miles before failing in the middle of traffic. I switched to Petronix and the improvement in performance was mind-blowing from day one. I've gone over 5,000 miles since without a hiccup. (Knock wood.)

I had a Pertronix that died in the middle of traffic after 1500 miles in service. My current set of points and condenser are still working like a champ at over 20,000 miles in service.
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition Conversion Reply with quote

6V starting issue:

The main issue is not in the electronic spark production, it is very affordable.

Problem is in the Hall-effect based distributors. They do not have points, wich function is replaced with magnetic interation between distributor shaft and a fixed captator.

When starting voltage drops under 5V the shaft rotation is not detected and no spark (neither a weak spark) is triggered. It is a "triggering" issue.

Almost all IC Hall captator have a logic not working under certain voltages because they are MOS transisor based and MOS transistor do not work under 4-4.5volts.

My soultion: a distributor with traditional points, they always trigger, no matter the voltage.

Then to use points signal to drive an external electronic iginition unit; to have a well amplified current to coil and almost zero wearing of points (they have to interrupt only a few mA of a non-inductive load)
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition Conversion Reply with quote

OK, this has turned into a debate, so lets use the existing topic.: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=281144

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: