Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Corvair sandrail shift linkage and box setup
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slickgib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Corvair sandrail shift linkage and box setup Reply with quote

Howdy people, so I’ve been building a old school corvair powered sandrail. I need some reccomendations On setting up the shift linkage and shift box. What are my best picture or step-by-step to Torio or anybody leave me in the right direction what I could do I want to finger tip mood and easily I don’t want her sister to be right next to my crotch , I’ve seen people putting them on like the very left side of The driver seat. Any any any information would be greatly appreciated
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Corvair sandrail shift linkage and box setup Reply with quote

1st question for you
- What transmission is attached to that Corvair engine? Is it VW? Or is it Corvair?
Makes a huge difference in how the shifter is connected.

2nd
- "Howdy people, so I’ve been building a old school corvair powered sandrail. I need some reccomendations On setting up the shift linkage and shift box. What are my best picture or step-by-step to Torio or anybody leave me in the right direction what I could do I want to finger tip mood and easily I don’t want her sister to be right next to my crotch , I’ve seen people putting them on like the very left side of The driver seat. Any any any information would be greatly appreciated "
That text is rather garbled. Maybe posted from a phone? I think you're trying to say that you are asking for a "How-To" for installing a shifter mount for your buggy.

There are pre-made shifter mount brackets that weld on your frame between the 2 center tubes. The shifter should be about even with the rim of the steering wheel in your car. Not over on the left side or in your crotch. Close up pictures of that area of the car might help us help you.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slickgib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Corvair sandrail shift linkage and box setup Reply with quote

howdy, it is a corvair transanxel, 4 speed, on a corvaoir rear end.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Corvair sandrail shift linkage and box setup Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with Corvair shift linkage. So I'm not going to fake my way into recommendations. I have a buggy pan in my yard that used to have a Corvair engine and trans in it and it had a stock VW shifter. The shifter coupler was gone before I saw it though.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Corvair sandrail shift linkage and box setup Reply with quote

What wrong with where your shifter is in the pictures. It in the location most sand rail shifters are.
The Corvair transaxle linkage comes out the lower left side.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: