Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dynamic compression ratio on engle W100 & W110?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Dynamic compression ratio on engle W100 & W110? Reply with quote

Where can I find info on DCR on W100 & W110 engle cams?

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Engle-W100-Type-1-Camshaft-1-1-or-1-25-Rockers-p/e6100.ht

W100, Use a compression ratio of 7.5-8.25:1 *Is this static or dynamic? Confused

W110, Use a compression ratio of 8-8.5:1 ""

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Dynamic compression ratio on engle W100 & W110? Reply with quote

ACN suggestions and recommendations are static.

To get a true dynamic CR you need many measurements to calculate. Most of the internet calculators are for water cooled engines and not accurate for aircooled engines.
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Dynamic compression ratio on engle W100 & W110? Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
Where can I find info on DCR on W100 & W110 engle cams?

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Engle-W100-Type-1-Camshaft-1-1-or-1-25-Rockers-p/e6100.ht

W100, Use a compression ratio of 7.5-8.25:1 *Is this static or dynamic? Confused

W110, Use a compression ratio of 8-8.5:1 ""

I use this site when calculating DCR:
https://www.uempistons.com/index.php?main_page=calculators

Fill in the DH, bore, stroke ( in inches) , rod length and Intake valve closing + 15.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ac509
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Dynamic compression ratio on engle W100 & W110? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

To get a true dynamic CR you need many measurements to calculate. Most of the internet calculators are for water cooled engines and not accurate for aircooled engines.

how is the cooling system, in any way, related to the dynamic compression ratio?

No one questions a 73' Volkswagen?
I have a '73 Volkswagen and it is nowhere near 73' long!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Dynamic compression ratio on engle W100 & W110? Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
I use this site when calculating DCR:
https://www.uempistons.com/index.php?main_page=calculators&type=comp

Fill in the DH, bore, stroke ( in inches) , rod length and Intake valve closing + 15.

I've also used this calculator with excellent results. 7.5 Dynamic has worked well for me as a target with 93 octane.

ac509 wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:

how is the cooling system, in any way, related to the dynamic compression ratio?

Watercooled heads don't usually operate at temps over 300 degrees.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Dynamic compression ratio on engle W100 & W110? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

Whether a motor is cooled with air or water it doesn't make any difference in calculating dynamic compression. If it does, then please explain. Both are internal combustion engine as that do exactly the same thing to make power.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Dynamic compression ratio on engle W100 & W110? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

Re quoted for the people that just skim and don't read the full post...... Wink Laughing Rolling Eyes

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Dynamic compression ratio on engle W100 & W110? Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Re quoted for the people that just skim and don't read the full post...... Wink Laughing Rolling Eyes

The chambers of water cooled and air cooled heads all run at about the same temps. Hot. I know quite a few people that use the water cooled calculators and it works. I use it and it worked out just fine. My 10.4:1 2276 run a cool. No detonation and I run 32 total advance. Funny...the dynamic cr turned out to be 7.4....eight in the safe zone and it works just fine.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Dynamic compression ratio on engle W100 & W110? Reply with quote

Show me how and why something doesn't work....not just conjecture. Until then, I'll keep doing it.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Dynamic compression ratio on engle W100 & W110? Reply with quote

Here's a compression calculator for ya.......

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/compression.htm

Plug in my numbers.......It's even a W100 cam

7.8:1 static
22.7 lbs. boost....
110 ft. ASL

23,000 miles and counting.....How many miles you got on that 2276???? Confused

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Dynamic compression ratio on engle W100 & W110? Reply with quote

fivelugshortaxle wrote:
clonebug wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

The chambers of water cooled and air cooled heads all run at about the same temps. Hot. I know quite a few people that use the water cooled calculators and it works. I use it and it worked out just fine. My 10.4:1 2276 run a cool. No detonation and I run 32 total advance. Funny...the dynamic cr turned out to be 7.4....eight in the safe zone and it works just fine.

It's simply another tool. I'm not saying you can't use a "watercooled" calculator for an aircooled engine, you just may not be able to apply the info in the same manner. There are many, many other variables. You, yourself just proved a dynamic lower than 7.5 using the UE calculator can run premium pump gas.

I built a 1776 with 7.6 dynamic that I got to ping once on my way home from work. It was 35 minutes into the trip, loaded in 4th at the top of a hill about a mile long, with the ambient temperature at 96 degrees.

A customer complained of "a noise" upon acceleration of his fresh 1776. Come to find out it had a tiny 2280 CB cam, that the person built the engine with 9.0:1 static, and that made close to 7.9:1 dynamic. You guessed it, the noise was the engine pinging like a bitch. We had to turn the timing down to 24 degrees to get him home.

The engine I first used the calculator on was when a customer wanted a set of wedgeports cut to make his 2276 11.2:1 static. He was running an FK-89 that made his dynamic 7.6, and the engine ran flawlessly.

I do know those that have used the UE calculator, and ran over 8.0:1 dynamic with a watercooled V8's on pump gas. Either they know something I don't, which is quite possible, or watercooled heads are less detonation proof.

If your static of 10.4 is creating a dynamic of 7.4, bump your static to 11.0:1, and report back.
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Dynamic compression ratio on engle W100 & W110? Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
Here's a compression calculator for ya.......

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/compression.htm

Plug in my numbers.......It's even a W100 cam

7.8:1 static
22.7 lbs. boost....
110 ft. ASL

23,000 miles and counting.....How many miles you got on that 2276???? Confused

That's just dumb.....boosted is a different animal. My 2276 has about 1,500 on it. Took it apart to change out the crappy clackety clack straight cuts. Rod bearings on it are looking bad.......because I got dumb and ran it pretty hard with about 40 degrees total advance.....for bout 20 miles. Hahahahahah....live and learn. Crank checked out fine...rods checked out fine. New straight cuts and new rod bearings and it's going right back together. At 10.4:1.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Dynamic compression ratio on engle W100 & W110? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
fivelugshortaxle wrote:
clonebug wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

It's simply another tool. I'm not saying you can't use a "watercooled" calculator for an aircooled engine, you just may not be able to apply the info in the same manner. There are many, many other variables. You, yourself just proved a dynamic lower than 7.5 using the UE calculator can run premium pump gas.

I built a 1776 with 7.6 dynamic that I got to ping once on my way home from work. It was 35 minutes into the trip, loaded in 4th at the top of a hill about a mile long, with the ambient temperature at 96 degrees.

A customer complained of "a noise" upon acceleration of his fresh 1776. Come to find out it had a tiny 2280 CB cam, that the person built the engine with 9.0:1 static, and that made close to 7.9:1 dynamic. You guessed it, the noise was the engine pinging like a bitch. We had to turn the timing down to 24 degrees to get him home.

The engine I first used the calculator on was when a customer wanted a set of wedgeports cut to make his 2276 11.2:1 static. He was running an FK-89 that made his dynamic 7.6, and the engine ran flawlessly.

I do know those that have used the UE calculator, and ran over 8.0:1 dynamic with a watercooled V8's on pump gas. Either they know something I don't, which is quite possible, or watercooled heads are less detonation proof.

If your static of 10.4 is creating a dynamic of 7.4, bump your static to 11.0:1, and report back.

Going to keep it at 10.4. The 2332 I'm building now will be 10:1. Different cam, though. SLR EXR304. Cam is really close to an 86b. 1 degree off in opening and closing g times and 46 degrees overlap. Dynamic came out to 7.438 if I remember correctly. Good enough for me.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
thesatanicmechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Dynamic compression ratio on engle W100 & W110? Reply with quote

I've always put the cutoff for anything aircooled on pump gas at 7.5. CHTs are nothing to be trifled with.

One day, when we're all rolling around with blue tooth enabled pressure sensitive spark plugs that can upload our combustion pressures to the cloud, the empirical data will be reviewed.

Until then, 7.5 is a pretty good Dcr to work with for those of us that do not wish to burn our shit to the ground.

p.s.

we can easily access 93 octane here on the east coast. I like at least that margin of safety.
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Dynamic compression ratio on engle W100 & W110? Reply with quote

Yep. That's the same number by all the reading ive9done that I try to stay under.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Dynamic compression ratio on engle W100 & W110? Reply with quote

fivelugshortaxle wrote:
Show me how and why something doesn't work....not just conjecture. Until then, I'll keep doing it.

fivelugshortaxle wrote:
Yep. That's the same number by all the reading ive9done that I try to stay under.

If the last two engines you've built have had less than 7.5:1 for dynamic compression, what are questioning "doesn't work"?
ac509
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Dynamic compression ratio on engle W100 & W110? Reply with quote

i have yet to see a compression calculator (dynamic or static) ask for the cooling capacity or cooling type for the engine.

i don't get out much, so maybe someone can point me in the direction of this "aircooled specific" calculator.

No one questions a 73' Volkswagen?
I have a '73 Volkswagen and it is nowhere near 73' long!
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Dynamic compression ratio on engle W100 & W110? Reply with quote

If anyone is old-fashioned like me and doesn't trust the algorithms they use on those fancy online calculators, here are the formulas I use to calculate dynamic stroke (which is then used to calculate the DCR):

•Intake Closing Angle @ 0.050" (ICA) = 1/2Duration @ .050” + Lobe Center Angle – 180
•Crank Stoke (CS) = distance the piston travels from TDC to BDC
•Horizontal Rod Displacement (HRD) = 1/2CS × (sine ICA)
•Rod Distance Below Crank Center Line (RD) = 1/2CS × (cosine ICA)
•Rod Length (RL) = length of the rod from journal center to wrist-pin center
•Piston Rise from Rod Distance Below Crank Center Line (PR1) = √(RL² ‒ HRD²)
•Piston Rise from Crank Center Line (PR2) = PR1 ‒ RD
•Dynamic Stroke (DS) = CS – [(PR2 + 1/2CS) – RL]

note: Both the ICA value written on the cam card and the above formula for calculating the ICA don't always match the true ICA of the cam, so whenever possible, I feel it's better to actually clock the cam to find the true value.

P.S. I mentioned this recently in another thread, but I'll repeat it here: For what it's worth, my DCR is set at about 7.64:1 and I run US 89 octane with no problem, and I have used on occasion 87 octane for brief periods, also with no problem. As a fair warning, my intake ports and combustion chambers are a little different, so these results may not be typical.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Dynamic compression ratio on engle W100 & W110? Reply with quote

ac509 wrote:
i have yet to see a compression calculator (dynamic or static) ask for the cooling capacity or cooling type for the engine.

i don't get out much, so maybe someone can point me in the direction of this "aircooled specific" calculator.

EXACTLY!!!

The better that the head casting can dissipate heat and run cooler, the less likely it is to detonate. Using the formulas is just making an educated guess, along with finding out what other people have done. There is no exact 100% accurate formula because none of them account for the cooling potential or effectiveness of the heads.

The reason the formula works better for watercooled is because the cooling potential and effectiveness of the heads is a constant in the equation, not a variable.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Dynamic compression ratio on engle W100 & W110? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
fivelugshortaxle wrote:

fivelugshortaxle wrote:

If the last two engines you've built have had less than 7.5:1 for dynamic compression, what are questioning "doesn't work"?

I'm not questioning it. Just questioning why some would think there's a difference between water cooled and air cooled dynamic cr.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: