Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help identifying this bus
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ayson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Need help identifying this bus Reply with quote

Hi Guys, My neighbor has a vw bus and I pretty much want to get it back on the road. I just need help identifying the specs of the bus, I know the rear fenders were cut. Thanks guys

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying this bus Reply with quote

Post a picture of the data plate attached to the bulkhead... located right behind the passenger's seat back.

It's better to post pics in the site's Gallery (see my signature line). Off-site pictures tend to not work over time... then this thread would become lame.

ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying this bus Reply with quote

It is either a 1959, 1960 or 1961. Someone else might be able to narrow it down further than me. If you post the M code plate behind the passenger seat back we can tell you exactly. The bus started life as a panel bus and someone converted it into a camper and added the extra windows.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying this bus Reply with quote

and i see someone at some point in time has turned it into a "Jersey Looker". Bonus if the interior has shag carpeting
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying this bus Reply with quote

The camper interior is likely an early Montgomery Ward camper (1959 Ish) Or maybe a home kit. Nobody has found any real markings on it. The back cabinet by the bed on the passenger side is a slider (cut short on yours)

They did the paneling real similar to what you have pictured with the faux layered sheet wood. The bed should also be a wacky piano hinge fold out deal. The hardware for the bed likely doesn’t match

I had the same kit.

If you’re located in the Washington area, I am giving this kit away, so if you want an extra set, it’s yours. It’s just taking up space in the garage.

If you’re located in the California area and are looking to get rid of the interior, this member is looking for parts to complete his set.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=470

It’s not a desirable camper interior, but is kind of cool in that it’s unique. I don’t really see it being worth anything.

Ps: I think those are the Euro back-up lights. Kind of cool/unusual to have if you’re located in the states. I’m guessing 1959.
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying this bus Reply with quote

Hey, I have some interior camper stuff that looks similar, redwood plywood very well built still in good shape came in my 63, same oval door cabinet and two boxes that set in the luggage compartment, up in the garage rafters now, thought it was custom, maybe not?
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying this bus Reply with quote

the hatch with the crescent says 61 or later. definitely should have an m-cde plate behind the front seat.

Cant tell if it has high hinge cargo doors or not

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying this bus Reply with quote

It's hinge hinge in the side photo above so I guess 1961 if the crescent means 1961.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying this bus Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=470

That VW Trends sticker tho! I had one of those on my notebook in high school
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying this bus Reply with quote

Get the house fiber glass insulation out of the front doors ASAP. Then get it out of the rest of the interior as you can.

Nice project!! Very Happy
Ayson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying this bus Reply with quote

Hey Guys! Finally took a picture of the Data Plate. Can anyone decode this? thanks.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying this bus Reply with quote

"Technical" button at upper right has a "M-codes" in the pop up list.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying this bus Reply with quote

Kinda neat- the VIN and date stamping agree- it's a super late June '60 alright. Those taillights are Euro- but do not have back up lights- just separate turn signal bulbs from tails if they were modified completely (I doubt it). But if they DO work, maybe this bus started off as something special- see paint discussion below. Smile

The 633b code made me look in the charts too- I see it's got to be a 2nd version of Ivory- based on what appear to be subsequent versions of other special codes painted with "b-d" added after the number (I think slight chemical/mix changes necessitated labeled versions). Ivory was used more on ambulances to my knowledge than any other bus. The UP destination code makes it a Pacific-coast bus its whole life maybe- it came in through Portland.

The crescent hatch will have a couple guys here looking in their progressive refinement books tonight. Smile But it could have been swapped- again, interesting...

Somebody wanted to make it run fast- then later wanted to cool it. Those monster carbs and alternator tell me the guy might have had a little fun with before it was common to modify buses. Maybe he wanted more power for the desert- because that bumper looks like it might have one time been used to haul a motorcycle- that or the guy had enough with parking lot dopes.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying this bus Reply with quote

Maybe he went through a lot of clutches while ripping around in it and he got sick of removing the bumper every time. He extended the brackets so he could pull the engine without taking it off!
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: