Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front suspension problem
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tonyorlo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Front suspension problem Reply with quote

I rebuilt my beam, and replaced the bushings and seals when I had it apart. I replaced all the wear items as well and installed dropped spindles. I finally got the car back on the ground and the suspension does not seem to work. I can compress the suspension and it does not rebound. If I pull up on it, it stays extended.

Any idea what I did wrong?
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension problem Reply with quote

I would say that the center grub screw isn't engaging the torsion stack . Hopefully you didn't slide them in backwards ,Meaning the Indent is facing rear.
Tonyorlo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension problem Reply with quote

I pulled the spindles and torsion arms and checked the torsio bar. It's all indexed correctly. All the set screws are sitting in the countersunk holes on the bar. Even grabbing the torsion arms, the all are sprung the correct way. I snapped a pic of them without the spindle on, does their positioning look right?

I forgot to mention in my first post, the shocks are not installed. They shouldn't stop the compression or rebound, only dampen it right?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension problem Reply with quote

The shocks shouldn’t make a difference and you shouldn’t be able to move the torsion arms without a fair bit of force then they should spring right back - something isn’t right
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension problem Reply with quote

With all new items, I would guess it's a bit stiff. As is mine... Probably just needs to be broken in. Did you replace ball joints and tie rod ends too?
Tonyorlo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension problem Reply with quote

I can only move them an inch or so by hand, I can't fully compress them.

Yeah, I replaced the ball joints and the all the tire rods. I kinda thought that my be what it is, but it just didn't feel right to me. Maybe when I get it back together I need to try to cycle the suspension. That may free it up.
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension problem Reply with quote

To be clear ,The grub I am referring to, is the center ones on the beam. They are the ones that hold the leaves in place,Keeps the from rotating. It seems to me that there is no load on the leaves , You should not be able to move the arms by hand.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension problem Reply with quote

Yes. If the center grub screws on the springs is misplaced, it won't work correctly. If it is set correctly, you shouldn't be able to budge the control arms very much. If it's all new, with grub screws set correctly... It will be stiff and will loosen up after broken in.
Tonyorlo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension problem Reply with quote

I can barley move the control arms. The grub screws were all seated correctly. Like you guys have said, with all the new parts it just needs some use to loosen up I guess.

Thanks for all the replies!
helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension problem Reply with quote

Did you install needle bearings, or use the urethane sleeves in the beam?

The urethane sleeves require measuring, and commonly need reaming/sanding to get them to not be too tight, and cause what you are seeing.

Rob
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
Tonyorlo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Front suspension problem Reply with quote

Rob,

I did replace the needle bearings with bushings, and I did not ream them. That must be it, I shouldn't have any problem reaming them while they are installed in the beam should it?

Everything went together ok, so I figured I didn't need to ream them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: