Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First stroker build 92X82
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

I have purchased and am waiting on a delivery of parts to build a 2180 build. This is my first stroker build and it should be quite the experience for a guy that last built a 1776 many years ago.

The parts ordered so far are as follows,
AS41 case, clearenced for 84 stroke, bushed lifter bores, .020 over on the align bore, zero thrust, drilled for full flow, 10mm cylinder studs. Just worked over by Brothers machine shop. Thanks mcdragracer.
AA 82mm cw forged crank. VW rod journals.
AA 5.4" VW "H" beam rods.
Mahle rod bearings.
AA 92mm TW p&c's, forged pistons.
Grant Chrome rings.
WEB 86b camshaft with WEB lifters.
Mahle double thrust cam bearings.
AA 1.4 ratio rockers (we'll see on the quality of those, once in hand)
26mm oil pump.
EMPI steel oil pump cover for full flow. I'll have to make sure that it is flat on the pump side for sure.
1 5/8" merged header with tuck away muffler. I'll have to have a bung welded in for AFR.

Needs,
Heads. I'm lost here. Panchito's 044, Mofoco 050 RAZER, Tims??? The power is in the heads.
Main bearings. I need the crank and case in hand before ordering. SilverLine?
Chromally push rods.
Big Beef manifolds.
44 IDF carbs.
12lb flywheel
Not sure on the clutch yet. You all say stock is good to 140hp.
1.5qrt. sump.
010 Distributor with points.

This will be bolted to a stock 67 trans that was built by Rancho a few years ago and it works flawlessly.

Rear tires will have to be a bit taller. As the current tires are a little small causing the cruise rpm to be a bit high.

The goal of this build is to have a car that is fun to drive and can make an American muscle car owner blush just a little bit from light to light. Also be able to cruise anywhere with no worries.

This my winter project and I look forward to the coming spring and summer days to get this out on the road.

I'm always open to suggestions. But keep in mind that the initial parts I have ordered are set. Well I might have over ordered the header size. So that could change.

What y'll think?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Just wondering for there is a 2180 build with a FK8 Cam so in contrast to that, what is a Web 86B like? You are both using the same rockers is why I ask?? And the other guys engine with the FK8 seams to be a nice power motor... RB
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

panchitos or Tims stage 2, silverlines bearings, have the whole rotating assembly balanced, and scrutinize the AA rings as some have been found to be questionable. 1700lb Kennedy pressure plate and Daiken disc would be my choice for a street clutch.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

RailBoy wrote:
Just wondering for there is a 2180 build with a FK8 Cam so in contrast to that, what is a Web 86B like? You are both using the same rockers is why I ask?? And the other guys engine with the FK8 seams to be a nice power motor... RB

I asked Webcam about the difference between the 86B and FK8. In a nutshell, they said they are almost the same, but the 86B is easier on the valve train.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

He listed Grant chrome rings. I know chrome is supposed to last, but I've always been scared they wouldn't seat. I've just used the regular steel ones without issue, but I don't drive my engines 20k a year either.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Esde, yea, I am talking of Glenn's Engine, wonder if it is still alive and if he can chime in on it and talk of engine life and whats going on with it?

But yea, I think he had listed running Tim's Stage 2 Heads..

I know of a guy who did his 2180 build at the same place, and yea it was a while ago as well, and he kinda fell out of the VW Scene, but he did Glenn's engine with AutoLina Heads, but he said same valve size which I forget off the top of my head. But the Autolina Guy said his Engine was Wicked, did a loppy-t-loop getting onto the highway flooring it scaring the shit out of himself when he first drove it... RB
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

RailBoy wrote:
Esde, yea, I am talking of Glenn's Engine, wonder if it is still alive and if he can chime in on it and talk of engine life and whats going on with it?

But yea, I think he had listed running Tim's Stage 2 Heads..

I know of a guy who did his 2180 build at the same place, and yea it was a while ago as well, and he kinda fell out of the VW Scene, but he did Glenn's engine with AutoLina Heads, but he said same valve size which I forget off the top of my head. But the Autolina Guy said his Engine was Wicked, did a loppy-t-loop getting onto the highway flooring it scaring the shit out of himself when he first drove it... RB

40,000 miles and no problems.

Idles at 750rpm, mild driving around town and really comes alive when you put your foot into it.

Steve Tims Stage 2 heads, FK8 cam.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Mr. Glenn, are your Stage 2's 42mm x 37.5mm valves thus making them Stage 2 and why are called that?

Running CB Street Eliminators currently, 42mm x 37.5mm valves in my 2180 with a Engle 120 cam with 1 to 1 rockers here on my end.

Any contrasting notes between the two that you know of? RB
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

RailBoy wrote:
Mr. Glenn, are your Stage 2's 42mm x 37.5mm valves thus making them Stage 2 and why are called that?

Running CB Street Eliminators currently, 42mm x 37.5mm valves in my 2180 with a Engle 120 cam with 1 to 1 rockers here on my end.

Any contrasting notes between the two that you know of? RB

Throw some 1.3 rockers in the 2180 and that 120 will really wake up.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

FiveLug, you have been at this as long as I have,lol.. Just saying, lol... Thing is I have a few engine guys I work with, and started with a $1,200 2180 that the case, crank, heads full flow all came out of... So, now have a mosh of items really, but no tools to rebuild or area suitable.... Plus there is a lot thet goes into engine building, that is something I have learned since I built my street rail back in high school... RB
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

I would go with the new cb mini wedges, a 2292 cam and use Johns beehives with 1.3s. lock out your distributor and use a cb blackbox. Oh, do this and All your wildest dreams will come true! 😁😁😁😁
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Stage II plus Street port are welded a bit on top and ported some more. He told me it gives 5 HP more on the dyno.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
I have purchased and am waiting on a delivery of parts to build a 2180 build. This is my first stroker build and it should be quite the experience for a guy that last built a 1776 many years ago.

The parts ordered so far are as follows,
AS41 case, clearenced for 84 stroke, bushed lifter bores, .020 over on the align bore, zero thrust, drilled for full flow, 10mm cylinder studs. Just worked over by Brothers machine shop. Thanks mcdragracer.
AA 82mm cw forged crank. VW rod journals.
AA 5.4" VW "H" beam rods.
Mahle rod bearings.
AA 92mm TW p&c's, forged pistons.
Grant Chrome rings.
WEB 86b camshaft with WEB lifters.
Mahle double thrust cam bearings.
AA 1.4 ratio rockers (we'll see on the quality of those, once in hand)
26mm oil pump.
EMPI steel oil pump cover for full flow. I'll have to make sure that it is flat on the pump side for sure.
1 5/8" merged header with tuck away muffler. I'll have to have a bung welded in for AFR.

Needs,
Heads. I'm lost here. Panchito's 044, Mofoco 050 RAZER, Tims??? The power is in the heads.
Main bearings. I need the crank and case in hand before ordering. SilverLine?
Chromally push rods.
Big Beef manifolds.
44 IDF carbs.
12lb flywheel
Not sure on the clutch yet. You all say stock is good to 140hp.
1.5qrt. sump.
010 Distributor with points.

This will be bolted to a stock 67 trans that was built by Rancho a few years ago and it works flawlessly.

Rear tires will have to be a bit taller. As the current tires are a little small causing the cruise rpm to be a bit high.

The goal of this build is to have a car that is fun to drive and can make an American muscle car owner blush just a little bit from light to light. Also be able to cruise anywhere with no worries.

This my winter project and I look forward to the coming spring and summer days to get this out on the road.

I'm always open to suggestions. But keep in mind that the initial parts I have ordered are set. Well I might have over ordered the header size. So that could change.

What y'll think?

I would run my 050 Big Valve 42mm x 37.5mm with dual springs. The standard version will give you 140-150hp with that set up. I am also coming out with a ported version of my new 050's within the next 3-4 weeks and will have flow numbers and dyno numbers soon if you can wait.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

jason wrote:
Stage II plus Street port are welded a bit on top and ported some more. He told me it gives 5 HP more on the dyno.

Since Steve has gone to the AA 500 casting, all of his stage II heads are the plus because the welding is unnecessary with the AA 500 casting. He told me it was a 15hp difference than with the un-welded 043 Mexico head.

Dan
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

With H beams and 82 stroke you shouldnt have to clearance the cam
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

RailBoy wrote:
FiveLug, you have been at this as long as I have,lol.. Just saying, lol... Thing is I have a few engine guys I work with, and started with a $1,200 2180 that the case, crank, heads full flow all came out of... So, now have a mosh of items really, but no tools to rebuild or area suitable.... Plus there is a lot thet goes into engine building, that is something I have learned since I built my street rail back in high school... RB

Actually a bit longer...built my first motor in 1996 I think it was. And I tend to pick the details out of people in a round about way. Wink
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
I would go with the new cb mini wedges, a 2292 cam and use Johns beehives with 1.3s. lock out your distributor and use a cb blackbox. Oh, do this and All your wildest dreams will come true! 😁😁😁😁
That's much more adv and @.050 duration than 86b ....would require a different head than what he's looking at.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
With H beams and 82 stroke you shouldnt have to clearance the cam

Some rod journal / rod brands need clearance. VW journal w
Scat h beam rods needed some grinding on the cam.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

fivelugshortaxle wrote:
jpaull wrote:
That's much more adv and @.050 duration than 86b ....would require a different head than what he's looking at.

He did not decide what heads hes using. He only mentioned a few possibilities and asked for input.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 28

Jump to: