Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First stroker build 92X82
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
saw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

67rust, glad to hear you’re getting ready to fire up and break in lifters. Going to be a little bit of a tough wait till next spring or who knows when with our weather. I went for a cruise today knowing I’m not going to drive a street buggy that much longer around here. I am a dry weather driver only Very Happy I’ll get a day here and there. Actually the cool fall dry days are some of my favorite days for cruising.

Anyway, glad you are getting it sorted out.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Well shoot. Guess I’ll have to wait and hear this engine at Averys next year Wink About.......the same time I get Xatie’s finished Laughing

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Awesome brother. Even though you've had some issues, you're learning. Looking forward to next spring and summer myself.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

So I did a lot of maintenance on my 67 today. And after that I had some time on my hands to get things moving forward on the 2180.

I straightened out the push rod tube ends and installed new seals. Also applied some Permatex sealant to the PR seals before seating them into the case and heads. Just a thin coat to keep oil in check.
I know that I'll get some heat for doing this. But this is a sealing method that a well respected air craft mechanic recommends.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This was followed up with installing the heads. Before I set the rocker box head washers on the studs. I applied some Curil T to the mating surface of the washers. I did this in a very thin coat using a craft paint brush from the Dollar store.
When I apply Curil T. I wear a disposable glove and squeeze the sealant to the glove like an artist would do on a pallet.

I then applied the head nuts and torqued them sequentially and incrementally. Sorry no pic of the procedure.
The clean up of the Curil T from the brush is done using IPA in a discarded tomato sauce can.

I know this is pretty boring stuff here. But someone wanted pics.

I swear that the #2 piston never had any combustion on the first build. It just shows no sign of carbon on the piston top like the #1 does.

Funny pic. The modern Blue Rocket in the background. Rarely gets driven. The little ZenithBlau beetle is the preferred mode of transportation.

There will be more progress tomorrow after I recheck the head torque.
And yes pics too.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
vince1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Nice to see this build moving. Did you check pushrods vs tubes clearance ? You might be in trouble with your Scat rockers and stock pushrod tubes.

Click here for my full pix detailed 2165 engine build with beehive valvetrain.

Sorry for my poor English, I'm a French guy ... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Glad its moving along!

I used to use aviation on the pushrod seals also. It works, but the only thing I dont like is the aviation does harden in spots and makes cleanup a pain later. I use Curil T now on almost everything including the pushrod seals.(thin coat like how you did). The only place I like the aviation better is on the oil pump cover as the aviation holds the high pressure oil inside abit better then Curil when not using a gasket.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

vince1 wrote:
Nice to see this build moving. Did you check pushrods vs tubes clearance ? You might be in trouble with your Scat rockers and stock pushrod tubes.

No carbon on number 2. That would make me.stop and wonder why. There should be carbon
..even a tiny bit.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

fivelugshortaxle wrote:
vince1 wrote:

No carbon on number 2. That would make me.stop and wonder why. There should be carbon
..even a tiny bit.

That was the one with the valve guide issue from the first set of heads.

Thanks for asking.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Glad its moving along!

I used to use aviation on the pushrod seals also. It works, but the only thing I dont like is the aviation does harden in spots and makes cleanup a pain later. I use Curil T now on almost everything including the pushrod seals.(thin coat like how you did). The only place I like the aviation better is on the oil pump cover as the aviation holds the high pressure oil inside abit better then Curil when not using a gasket.

On the first go around of the build. I had used Curil T on the push rod tube seals.
They leaked a little. So I thought I's give the aviation sealant a try this time around.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

vince1 wrote:

I have not checked the clearance yet. The push rod tubes are "windage" tubes.
I guess I'll find out today when I cut the push rods and install them.

Thanks for the heads up.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Looking good! I am getting excited again!

FWIW. I only use 30wt oil on the push rod tube seals. They get a light rub of oil. When I install them, they go in and I rotate them. Have not had a leaky one in decades.

Vrooom, vrooom!!!!!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

FWIW. I only use 30wt oil on the push rod tube seals. They get a light rub of oil. When I install them, they go in and I rotate them. Have not had a leaky one in decades.

Vrooom, vrooom!!!!!

Actually on the first build of this engine. Was the first time I have tried using any sealant on the PR tube seals.
Is the past I have always installed them dry and had little issues. I thought the Curil T would work. But I had leaks on the case ends. So I decided to try the aviation sealer.
Time will tell if it works or not.

Thanks for the input.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

Vrooom, vrooom!!!!!

Actually on the first build of this engine. Was the first time I have tried using any sealant on the PR tube seals.
Is the past I have always installed them dry and had little issues. I thought the Curil T would work. But I had leaks on the case ends. So I decided to try the aviation sealer.
Time will tell if it works or not.

Thanks for the input.

You are welcome. I got to try a few different methods through the years. Curil T, silicon, Indian shellac, Gasgacinch, aviation something or other. The list is long and familiar. Bottom line was 30 wt oil worked the best. Rotated a little while installing the head, seams always up on top.

As always, wishing you the best!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

I promised pics of the rocker geo. But my dial indicator mag stand had stripped threads. So I had to get a replacement.

"0" lift

Half lift

Full lift

This is after sanding 0.060" off the bottom of the rocker blocks.
If someone see's something out of place. Please let me know.

I need to shim the side play on the rockers. The extra shims that came with the rockers are a bit thick. So I ordered a shim kit from AC.net yesterday.

Thank you all again your your valuable input.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

I always do this to motivate me to complete the build. Yea it's not even close to being complete yet. But it gets the juices flowing.

Have a great night!

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Thats a bueatiful thing!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Thats a bueatiful thing!

It's getting there Bro.

I'm waiting on the rocker shims to get the side play sorted.

Once that's set it's just a matter of finishing the ancillary goodies to get it finished.
I'm running an electric FP this time around too.

I have seriously began considering fuel injection lately.
I'm just not that technically advanced to understand all the in's and out's of going that way.
But it just sounds so much more linear on the tune up.
I mean, what's another 3K at a build? Shocked

Thank you for your support!

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Your welcome, bu honestly it is just cool to watch someone put their heart into something. So, thank you!

Fuel injection is no walk in the park. Be careful what you wish for. Just take your time. It is worth it!

On the electric fuel pump. Get a relay in the circuit that shuts it off when it no longer sees a signal from the coil. Last thing you want in an accident is fuel being dispense with sparks!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Sorry to hijack brother...here's that 57 oval euro I just picked up. The semaphores work.

4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Your welcome, bu honestly it is just cool to watch someone put their heart into something. So, thank you!

Fuel injection is no walk in the park. Be careful what you wish for. Just take your time. It is worth it!

On the electric fuel pump. Get a relay in the circuit that shuts it off when it no longer sees a signal from the coil. Last thing you want in an accident is fuel being dispense with sparks!

The relay is already installed. Works great. Turn the key to the run position, the pump runs for three seconds. Then it shuts off. Unless there's rpm detected.

Thanks for the advice.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 28

Jump to: