Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First stroker build 92X82
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Just wondering. Are you just in a holding pattern, waiting for parts?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not really in a holding pattern. Just slow at posting.
I set the end plat and installed the PP. Just make sure things line up.
I still need to install the main seal. Picked up the delux seal install tool at Avery's yesterday. Also picked up a used pulley tin and breast plate. So I don't have to swap the ones I have from engine to engine as I change them.

Received my rocker shim kit from ACN and setup the rocker shaft side play to 0.005"
So at this point. The engine is for the most part mechanically complete. I just need to put on the ancillaries. Fill it with oil and fire it off.

I have also been working on a carb refresh for a friends 66. He doesn't know it. But he's gonna get it. I'm also going to hook him up with a 205M distributor to replace his crappy 009.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Good to hear progress is still happening!!!

Sounds like next weekend we will read about a start up?!?!?!?!

Glad you posted. I was hoping things were going smooth. That was my concern. Good to read a good post. Thanks for chiming in!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Good to hear progress is still happening!!!

Sounds like next weekend we will read about a start up?!?!?!?!

Glad you posted. I was hoping things were going smooth. That was my concern. Good to read a good post. Thanks for chiming in!

The startup is not likely gonna happen for a couple of weeks.

I have to adult sit my mother this coming weekend. While my stepfather attends a funeral.

Plus I need to fit some of the tins that I bought Saturday.

I did mount the DH oil cooler and the pulley tin tonight.
I also filled the oil filter with oil and mounted the hoses from the oil pump outlet to the filter FF mount.
I'm taking little bites one at a time. I'm really in no hurry.

Also waiting on about $230+ in jets, gaskets and parts from Dellorto.UK.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

So, I have been a bit cautious with finishing this rebuild.

Someone earlier today posted (in a different thread) that I took over a year to build this engine. And "when the head failed I blamed everyone for the failure. Other than myself."
I did no such thing. I took partial blame for the failure.

The manufacture did indeed offer to honor his warranty. I just didn't take him up on the offer after much arguing with him.
I never returned the heads. As I felt after further consideration that I may have indeed made a build error and ate the cost of a decent set of heads.

My real issue was with the head manufacturers customer service rep. Not the product!

So I had a coworker come over and help lift the engine off the stand onto a dolly. I plan to fire it on the dolly. Hopefully within the next week.
For several reasons,
1.It's easier to see where potential leaks are coming from.
2. It's easier to fix the found leaks. If there are any.
3. Tuning on the dolly will be much less of a headache. I can get to the carb mixture screws. Without getting my hands blistered reaching around hot intake manifolds.
4. I don't plan to install the engine in my car until next spring. The weather is getting colder and the engine was built with "J" tubes.
I can wait. It's been this long. I can wait a little longer, before installing it.

If anyone has an issue with my build. Please feel free to post your gripes here. I'll be happy to address them in this thread.
Don't attack my mechanical skills in other threads when you have none to speak of. (If you're reading along and not skimming. You know that this is focused on you. Not the decent folks that have helped me on this long journey.)

To all that have helped. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. You folks are the stuff that makes this a great forum.

Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Man! This like singing 99 bottles of beer, getting to 1, then stopping lol.

Hopefully it goes great when you do fire it.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Man! This like singing 99 bottles of beer, getting to 1, then stopping lol.

Hopefully it goes great when you do fire it.

I hear ya dude!
I no longer have a mentor to guide me along the way to get this engine running.
I have to study and learn all my moves to get it right before the start and break in.
It's just a few pieces short of a start.
A remote gas tank is needed. I don't have one of those. So I have to figure out how to build one that works for the bench (dolly) start.

Thank you for the encouragement. I'll get it done.

Have a great week!

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

I’m in the elusive “365 Club” too Laughing
Seriously! Someone called you out on that Confused

Can’t wait to see this in action.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
I’m in the elusive “365 Club” too Laughing
Seriously! Someone called you out on that Confused

I sure did after HE attacked ME first coming out of nowhere to start more shit in a thread that I posted the same opinion on as a myriad of other posters yet he decides to single ME out, just like he did in a thread a couple weeks ago where I hadn't said a god damn word to him about anything.
Yeah that's right, HE started it. But instead of dealing with it in that thread, he tells me to bring the fight over here where he has some backup and support, cause he can't handle the shit he started. And I'm fucking sick of it, so here we are.
So you're god damn right I mentioned his engine build and blaming Roy for the head issue (if it wasn't an issue what was the "arguing" all about?") and told the OP he probably ought to seek advice from other sources.
67rust you know full god damn well none of this would have happened if you had kept your loud internet mouth shut and not single MY post out to come after in EITHER one of those threads. You brought it on yourself pal. And Roy @ mofoco will have a distinctly DIFFERENT opinion than you on what happened, in fact so do others in this very thread that had to post it was something YOU were responsible for before you changed your mind Rolling Eyes The reason you didnt send the head back wasn't because you decided to accept full responsibility, it was because you flat blamed Roy and didn't want to deal with him anymore. ANYONE reading this thread could see that.
And now here you are once again blaming someone else for something YOU started. Understand?? I wouldn't have said anything about your build to anyone if you had just kept your trap shut.
So how about this? JUST SIMPLY DON'T QUOTE MY POSTS IN ANY MORE THREADS AS AN EXCUSE TO START SOMETHING AND WE WON'T HAVE A PROBLEM. Is that easy enough for you to comprehend?
And this thread was started last winter, so YEAH it's taken you a year.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor

Last edited by sb001 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:16 am; edited 4 times in total
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

And in case you're going to go whining to the admins again trying to get my post here deleted, let me remind you and everyone else reading-
YOU linked me to this thread and told me to come over here. SO here I the fuck am. And I am posting again so that all your supporters on here know what actually happened.
I don't really give a crap who they side with, but the FACT is I hadn't said a word TO you, or ABOUT you, but you quoted my post and started shit. Just avoid that and there's no problem! Why is that so hard for you to grasp???????

1600 SP engine
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

A remote gas tank is needed. I don't have one of those. So I have to figure out how to build one that works for the bench (dolly) start.

You dont need anything fancy for a tank. I have been using the same small round metal gas can I use to haul gas for my mower for years. I just set it on the ground next to the engine and get a longer piece of rubber hose to the pump inlet. Stick the hose in the top hole and let 'er rip.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Popcorn

Damn, this is better than politics...
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Almost anything is better than politics
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

not for entertainment
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Here's some more entertainment for you: the following is the second (earlier) thread I am referencing above, where he came out of nowhere to attack me:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Another poster (NOT the OP of that thread BTW) commented that his car bucks and jerks when he used regular E10 gas but not when he used ethanol free:

jberry wrote:
I just know, from my experience, if I don't use 100%, it's literally undrivable. It will jerk and buck front and back, violently. You can't get anywhere. When I use 100%, drives perfectly.

To which I responded that there is something wrong with his car since 10% vs 0% ethanol should not make that kind of difference:

sb001 wrote:
Then there is something incredibly wrong with your car.

Here is 67's response coming out of absolutely nowhere to insult and berate me:

67rustavenger wrote:
Really? Wow, What a revelation. Great that you have made a constructive contribution in this thread.

Stick with the auto-stick-shift threads. You accel in those. Here, you have failed.

Go with what you know well.
Don't point out the obvious. We can all do that!

In fact he was in such a hurry to post something insulting that he didn't even realize I wasn't addressing the OP of the thread. It was SOMEONE ELSE I was responding to.
Was my post a bit short and to the point? Yes-- but it still holds true. Absolutely NO reason to come after me like a dog off his leash.

1600 SP engine
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:

You dont need anything fancy for a tank. I have been using the same small round metal gas can I use to haul gas for my mower for years. I just set it on the ground next to the engine and get a longer piece of rubber hose to the pump inlet. Stick the hose in the top hole and let 'er rip.

Brian

I have done that as well.
I first disconnect the fuel line "tee" and connect a funnel to it in order to fill the carburetors' float bowels . . . then reconnect the fuel line . . . I want it to fire immediately! Wink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
Brian_e wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:

Brian

I have done that as well.
I first disconnect the fuel line "tee" and connect a funnel to it in order to fill the carburetors' float bowels . . . then reconnect the fuel line . . . I want it to fire immediately! Wink

I for some reason was stuck on gravity feed. I have an electric FP in the car. So my mind was stuck on that feature. /the mechanical pump completely went unthought of. Duh!
Thanks for the reminder Brian and 57Blitz.

Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

FWIW,

Since the Carter/CB electric self-regulating pumps have a reputation for eventually failing,
And ethanol (etc.. ) in today's fuels can eat things like you never thought,
I just bought another spare pump for test and run-in use.
No doubt it will have NO trouble lifting fuel up from the ground to a stand..

FWIW, it's claimed 3.5 PSI seemed a bit higher than that on the fuel pressure gauge I bought,
And many carbs will like less than that,
So may a well get a regulator.

If you plan on doing a few more motors,
Might as well dive in..?

What’s That Noise?!?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

Thank you for your input SB001. Duly noted.

I quoted your post to make a point to the folks posting in the thread. It was not directed at you. I likely chose the incorrect wording to make folks understand that the OP was asking about an EV conversion for his beetle. As everyone was telling the OP that it would cost $XXX. Or it would be cheaper to repair his trans.
We all come different walks of life. Some of us are cheap. Some have the funds to do a pie in the sky build.

I was trying to make a point. That it is the OP's car he can do what he wants with it.
It was not an attack on your post. Far from it. Sorry you took it that way.

I had your post deleted. Because you posted that the OP should not take advice from someone who has taken over a year to build an engine and blamed everyone but myself when the first build failed. I'm paraphrasing here, as my memory is not as long as it should be.

Did you stop to think that. Maybe in hindsight. I changed my mind on the Mofoco argument? So I did indeed eat the cost of a set of heads. But really who cares?
And your correct on this. I did give up on returning the heads because Roy was difficult for me to deal with.

Now please take note. Not one person in this forum has come to my defense. Not one in this matter. I asked you to take the fight here. So as not to stall another thread with useless fighting. That has nothing to do with the topic of the thread.
This is my thread. If it gets messed up by a pointless fight. So be it.
It's just not someone else's thread that was posted with the intention of gaining knowledge and insight. Only having it degrade into a war of words.

Have a great day.

Last edited by 67rustavenger on Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: First stroker build 92X82 Reply with quote

I'll stick up for ya.. Wink

What’s That Noise?!?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 28

Jump to: